Remote Agent communication interval for new RA6

I have realized that the new interval for communication between the agent/client and the server is setted to 20 minutes default, which was 5 minutes at version 5

We have changed our clients to 1 minute at the previous version and everything was ok for 220 clients, and now we are deploying agent update from the eset panel to the clients to set the interval to 1 minute again,

However what we need is to set this up prior installation, so that we do not need any policy update after,

We are using agent live installer for installing clients and there is no option to set the interval for the package

Any idea?

• Administrators

If you install the agent first and Endpoint just after the agents have connected to ERAS, the policy will be applied within a minute after installing Endpoint on clients regardless of the interval as the policy will be applied by the already installed agent.

We also need this param for MSI installation.

There is a property named "P_REPLICATION_INTERVAL" which is maybe what we need. But we do not know what values it accepts.

Usecase: When the agent cannot successfully connect the ERA Server the first time(server down, firewall issues etc.) , it should retry reconnection asap.

It is important for BulkDeployments to know some MSi Properties that can be used during installation.

Some of them are used in "agent live installer" batch that is generated, and we use these to set certs, password etc.

Please provide the reconnection values that can be used during MSI install, to reach this.

It is difficult enough to push Agent, Products with ERA 6, and YES I have read all docs and articles that are available until now.

So please guys, make us life a little easier!!!!

• Former ESET Employees

P_REPLICATION_INTERVAL needs CRON expression.

hxxp://help.eset.com/era/6/en-US/index.html?cron_expression.htm

Default is "R R/20 * * * ? *" which means connecting at random second(R=0-60) every random 20th minute (for example 3, 23, 43 or 17,37,57).

Random values should be used for load balancing in time. So every Agent is connecting in different random time. If some accurate CRON is used, for example "0 * * * * ? *", all agents with this setting will connect at the same time (every minute at :00 second) there will be load peaks on server in this time.

• 2 years later...

Sorry for thread revive.

One question on this -- when you put in say:
* R R * * ? *

If I understand correctly all the machines will update at a random hour/minute. Does that random hour/minute stay the same or change per run? Say, I would not want a machine stuck at 3AM that is powered off after hours.

• ESET Staff
4 minutes ago, lakecityransom said:

Sorry for thread revive.

One question on this -- when you put in say:
* R R * * ? *

If I understand correctly all the machines will update at a random hour/minute. Does that random hour/minute stay the same or change per run? Say, I would not want a machine stuck at 3AM that is powered off after hours.

Random part of this expression will be reinitialized each time AGENT service is started. Technically those special symbols "R" are during initialization replaced with random constant, so for example your cron will be interpreted as:

* 11 7 * * ? *

and after next AGENT startup it may be:

* 43 17 * * ? *

This also means, that until AGENT is restated, interval of execution is fixed. In your case, task will be executed exactly every 24 hours in the same time.

Just one warning: cron configuration like you provided is not suitable for replication, nor any other task. It you configure trigger this way, task will be started exactly 60 times a day, but in one minute at 11:07:00, 11:07:01, 11:07:02, ..., 11:07:59. It is caused by "*" in seconds section of cron configuration.

Thank you for that clarification and mistake catch. I put a 0 there.

Services probably are not restarted in hibernate/sleep mode right? This is a tough situation, I'd like to update after hours when permissible but it seems there is no way I can guarantee it happens with a CRON window like this.

My situation is a little special as I have many clients attached to our system.

Edited by lakecityransom