Personal info exposed to third party

yongsua

Hi, I actually installed a trial version of ESET which will expire on 8th of March in my friend's laptop by using my own email address. However, since last week, I have got this notification (shown in the pic below) from ESET ads reminding me that my trial will expire soon on Facebook. At first, I thought it would go off soon after the end of February but it seems that this reminder is for me. Sometimes, it also appears on my "News feed", but I do not have picture for this and I would post up soon if I see that again. The third party which sponsors such ads is www.getprotection.com.my. May I know is this third party an authorized reseller of ESET products, kinda annoying though. I appreciate that but email as a reminder is enough.Besides, this third party website also tracks me wherever I surf (one example shown in the pic below). Thanks and Regards.

post-6379-0-59630700-1425313475_thumb.jpg

post-6379-0-12907000-1425313477_thumb.jpg

Edited by yongsua

• Administrators

ESET does not disclose information about users to 3rd party companies. I guess it's that you googled for eset so Google started to serve you ads according to your searches. To search without the search engine tracking you and collecting personal information, you can use duckduckgo.com for instance.

The official distributor for Malaysia is Basic Gateway. For contact information, visit hxxp://www.eset.my/contact-us.

What happens here is what Marcos describe, it even says "Ads by Google", basically they think that you may be interested in this based on your search and browsing history.

But how about the facebook ads? How do they know my friend's trial version of ESET is going to expire soon?

Could it be based off WHAT you searched (just as Marcos and SweX said).....like looking at a purchase page?

Notice they (the ads) did not quote you a particular date. They are working off of assumptions I believe.

Edited by TomFace