Request for help to stop automatic screen captures

Daamu32

Hello,
First, this issue is not related to ESET (or how it works) but I have not found a website with a solution to it, although I have found several people with the same "problem". And I would like to have one 😕 Because who wants screenshots of their computer being taken?
That said, I define the problem:
There is something, a process, application, driver... that takes screenshots of my desktop (of both screens) every indeterminate amount of time. It can go for days without taking screenshots or take several screenshots on the same day (and I turn on my computer every day). It saves them in the "Images\Screenshots" directory.

These screenshots do not follow the naming pattern of a Windows screenshot. The screenshots I take follow the naming pattern: "Screenshot [DATE] [TIME]". These screenshots take the name "Screenshot [Repeated name number (like (1), (2), (10)...)]. Today, it goes up to number 278. Moreover, it should be noted that I deleted them all some time ago. And I didn't start the count again, it went on until 161 (160 being the last one I deleted).
They are always, at least the ones I have checked, screenshots of the desktop, and of applications that are not full screen. If an application is in full screen, it appears in the taskbar, but the screenshot is still of the desktop (except in the case of screen number 1 in screenshot 226). Most of them have games running, but some of them have been taken with Word open, for example.

Does anyone have any idea what process is causing this? Is there any way to get what applications, processes... are accessing and adding content to the image directory?

I'm attaching some sample images

Thanks, in advance, for any help anyone can provide.

Captura de pantalla (278).png

Captura de pantalla (277).png

Captura de pantalla (265).png

Captura de pantalla (185).png

Captura de pantalla (226).png

Captura de pantalla (160).png

Different screenshots.png

Edited by Daamu32

Possibly related to Microsoft's new AI processing deployed via Recall feature of Copilot: https://www.pcgamer.com/software/windows/windows-ai-feature-takes-screenshots-of-your-desktop-every-few-seconds-and-i-cant-imagine-wanting-that/ .

Edited by itman

38 minutes ago, itman said:

Possibly related to Microsoft's new AI processing deployed via Recall feature of Copilot: https://www.pcgamer.com/software/windows/windows-ai-feature-takes-screenshots-of-your-desktop-every-few-seconds-and-i-cant-imagine-wanting-that/ .

It could be possible, but it has been going on for a few months now. I don't think Microsoft would hold me in such high esteem to give me their new features before anyone else hahah.

If you have a nVidia graphics card installed, did you check this out per the Reddit article you linked?

It's Shadowplay. There is a setting in GeForce experience/hud overlay that automatically takes screenies and captures 'highlights' of your game play. Disable it.

Ref.: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/shadowplay/

Open the task manager and disable the automatic start-up of all applications except for the Microsoft ones. If the issue continues then you know it is related to a Microsoft service. If the issue disappears then turn each application on one at a time. Then perform a restart after each application is turned on until you find the offending app.