ESET finds 2 Lenovo files as potentially unsafe

As per headline.

I ran a scan, which is still ongoing and instantly these two files popped up.

C:\Drivers\OneKey Optimizer\setup.exe » INSTALLSHIELD » OneKey Optimizer.msi » MSI » ISSetupFile.SetupFile42 » INNO » {app}\bin\reaper_u.dll - a variant of Win32/Lenovo.G potentially unsafe application - action selection postponed until scan completion

C:\Drivers\OneKey Optimizer\setup.exe » INSTALLSHIELD » OneKey Optimizer.msi » MSI » ISSetupFile.SetupFile42 » INNO » {app}\bin\reaper.dll - a variant of Win32/Lenovo.G potentially unsafe application - action selection postponed until scan completion

Sole difference between the two seems the name "dll" and "u.dll"

I think they're part of Lenovo Vantage, which i only use for power management but has lots of exe tasks ongoing on my machine, including some i never liked too much but keep going.

Any advice?

Thanks

E.

egui_ldUbzSXHK0.jpg

• Most Valued Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PassingBy said:

As per headline.

I ran a scan, which is still ongoing and instantly these two files popped up.

C:\Drivers\OneKey Optimizer\setup.exe » INSTALLSHIELD » OneKey Optimizer.msi » MSI » ISSetupFile.SetupFile42 » INNO » {app}\bin\reaper_u.dll - a variant of Win32/Lenovo.G potentially unsafe application - action selection postponed until scan completion

C:\Drivers\OneKey Optimizer\setup.exe » INSTALLSHIELD » OneKey Optimizer.msi » MSI » ISSetupFile.SetupFile42 » INNO » {app}\bin\reaper.dll - a variant of Win32/Lenovo.G potentially unsafe application - action selection postponed until scan completion

Sole difference between the two seems the name "dll" and "u.dll"

I think they're part of Lenovo Vantage, which i only use for power management but has lots of exe tasks ongoing on my machine, including some i never liked too much but keep going.

Any advice?

Thanks

E.

egui_ldUbzSXHK0.jpg

Try to update the Lenovo tools to a more recent version if that doesn't fix the ESET detections then you can ignore it or proceed to remove the Lenovo tools

Unsafe detection with Lenovo probably means what has been detected is vulnerable therefore ESET doesn't like it because it can be exploited to infect the machine.

I've googled about the OneKey Optimzer , It's related to the battery management in the Laptop, if there is no recent version with the vulnerability that ESET is mad about fixed , then I would ditch that and use Windows internal power management.

Edited by Nightowl

1 hour ago, Nightowl said:

Try to update the Lenovo tools to a more recent version if that doesn't fix the ESET detections then you can ignore it or proceed to remove the Lenovo tools

Unsafe detection with Lenovo probably means what has been detected is vulnerable therefore ESET doesn't like it because it can be exploited to infect the machine.

I've googled about the OneKey Optimzer , It's related to the battery management in the Laptop, if there is no recent version with the vulnerability that ESET is mad about fixed , then I would ditch that and use Windows internal power management.

Hi Nightowl,

Thanks for the insights. Actually, Vantage was just updated and now the Energy/Battery section offers a lot more of data. The configuration on this Yoga does in such a way that Windows power management doesn't offer the same functions so i need to keep Vantage. I guess my next machine won't be a Lenovo.

• Most Valued Members
7 hours ago, PassingBy said:

Hi Nightowl,

Thanks for the insights. Actually, Vantage was just updated and now the Energy/Battery section offers a lot more of data. The configuration on this Yoga does in such a way that Windows power management doesn't offer the same functions so i need to keep Vantage. I guess my next machine won't be a Lenovo.

You are welcome

There is a topic about it here also :

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nightowl said:

You are welcome

There is a topic about it here also :

Many thanks. I will have a check. There are many suspicious files from Lenovo Vantage. They show with Wireshark and similar apps. I am not quite sure what to make of it all. I am just unhappy with the intruding tendencies of Lenovo apps.

Edited by PassingBy