FDE and Backup-Software

Protector

Hello everyone :)

We're starting to deploy the Full Disk Encryption on the first client computers. One of the upcoming questions is what backup solutions are compatible with ESET FDE. Could you guys give me some information about that? We noticed that one of your backup products doesn't create a backup when FDE is installed.

Thanks a lot!

• ESET Staff

Hi @Protector,

Any traditional backup (File/Folder) should work with EFDE.

Could you provide some more information on the error you are getting when attempting to create a backup?

Ultimately depending on the issue, this may require a ticket to be submitted via https://www.eset.com/int/support/contact/

Thank you.

Hey @Kstainton

Thanks for the answer. We tried to use the solution from backupassist.de on a workstation with FDE. The logs from the backup software said there's a problem with the EFI partition. ESET writes data in that partition for FDE. The backup worked after we removed FDE.

• ESET Staff

Backup Assist isn't software ESET provide. I am going to have a quick go at this on a system although it sounds like it is doing more than a simple File/Folder backup. Can I just confirm you are using EFDE?

Also, I assume you are using "BackupAssist Classic"?

However, I do find it strange that it cannot do anything with the EFI Partition, we only have files there and it is not an encrypted location.

Thank you.

• ESET Staff
Posted (edited)

My colleague did find this: https://blog.zensoftware.co.uk/Knowledgebase/backupassist-classic/error-exclusive-lock-on-the-efi-system-partition/ which leads onto our own KB here: https://support.eset.com/en/kb6121-windows-backup-failing-error-message are you by any chance just removing EFDE, or are you removing ESET Smart Security too, if you have it installed?

It would be useful to have a copy of the exact error you are receiving if at all possible?

Thank you.

Edited by Kstainton

We did only remove the FDE. The Endpoint Security was still on the system.

Im currently setting up a VM client for testing the backup and FDE again. I'll share the results when i have them.