Long black screen duration before windows login screen

14 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Does temporarily pausing or disabling the ESET firewall in the advanced setup make a difference?

I'm not having or ever had any issues in this regard. I just posted one way to try to diagnose the issue.

Additional refs. on the subject here:

https://www.techtarget.com/searchenterprisedesktop/tip/Steps-to-fix-a-black-screen-in-Windows-11

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-black-screen-problems-windows-10

Neither article mentions AV software as a possible sourec.

8 hours ago, itman said:

The long black screen at Win startup time is obviously a Win startup issue.

When this occurs and after the Win desktop is displayed, open Win Task Manager. Then open the Startup tab.

Displayed are tasks that ran at system startup time and their impact on startup time. The only Eset task shown here is "Eset Command line Interface"; i.e. ecmds.exe, and on my Win 10 22H2 build, its impact is shown as low. What you need to look for are tasks shown as high impact.

Hello, im I.T Professional at company. Please don't blame Windows Os ! This problem about Eset Internet Security and Interactive Firewall. When uninstall to Eset then everything back to normal. I don't have time to run different tests and debugs for this problem. Also, as an Eset customer, it is not my job to solve this problem. In our company, we have been using Eset as security software for a long time. The license renewal date is approaching and since Eset has no solution to this problem, I think try different security softwares.

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, Alasedo said:

Hello, im I.T Professional at company. Please don't blame Windows Os ! This problem about Eset Internet Security and Interactive Firewall. When uninstall to Eset then everything back to normal. I don't have time to run different tests and debugs for this problem. Also, as an Eset customer, it is not my job to solve this problem. In our company, we have been using Eset as security software for a long time. The license renewal date is approaching and since Eset has no solution to this problem, I think try different security softwares.

If it is not possible to provide exact instructions to reproduce an issue on other machines, co-operation of the user with technical support is necessary in order to determine the root cause of the issue no matter whether it's a problem with the operating system or a 3rd party application. Without that, the vendor cannot do anything no matter whether it's Microsoft or another vendor. If you are willing to co-operate on finding the root cause of the issue, we will be happy to assist you.

• ESET Staff

I had similar issue on my personal laptop even without ESET product installed. Can't remember the exact solution but playing with sign-in options in OS settings (disabling whatever is enabled like auto sign-in after update), solved the issue for me.

On 12/30/2023 at 6:05 AM, Alasedo said:

i restored Eset firewall settings to default state and enable Interactive mode again. My all firewall rules removed. And after system boot back to normal.

Let's refer back to this posting.

I also had Eset firewall issues when upgrading to ver. 17. They didn't cause this black screen  issue; but other problems. All my issues were resolved by resetting Eset firewall rules back to default settings which of course, wiped out all my custom firewall rules.

Now as far as I am concerned, the issue isn't directly related to the ver. 17 upgrade; rather the ver. 16.2 upgrade with the problems surfacing in the ver. 17 upgrade.

After the ver. 16.2 upgrade, I observed that the Eset default rule ordering had changed. Most notably, the first 6 rules or so. Since these are default rules, there was no way to revert to the normal default rule ordering other that a full firewall rule reset to default which I did not do since I didn't want to lose my custom rules. Also, export and import of rules did not fix the issue. All this was very odd to me, but I did not report the issue in the forum.

Edited by itman

• 2 weeks later...

The black screen started after the Nvidia Driver update, but ESET is causing it now. that's what I know for sure. Without ESET installed I don't have a black screen, as soon I install ESET as default as it can be I instantly have a black screen. no matter what version 17 or 16. 

Testing another 2 AV software none of them had black screen issues, one of them had some annoying issue with the firewall when lanching EDGE, but only in edge there was a big delay until pages would load, disabling the Firewall would fix it instantly. so each of their own, for now, for the 2nd AV I am currently using there are no issues, just sometimes a small delay as it checks the website on their server before, but that seems normal and it happens to both EDGE and CHROME.