Web Access Protection problems

eab

1. Google Chrome Browser performance degradation
    With WAP enabled in the 'ESET Endpoint for Linux (V7+)' policy, results in the browser performance being unbearably slow. Websites take anywhere from 2-5 times as long to load as with WAP disabled. Multiple scand processes can be seen at the top of CPU usage whenever a website is loaded.
    We have tested this on multiple Linux PCs over the course of the last 4 weeks or so. We have also tried to disable some of the WAP features in the profile - no improvements were found.
    We also tested in Firefox, and the performance degradation is not as severe.
  2. localhost, 127.0.0.1, 0.0.0.0 and ::6 blocked
    This problem we have been struggling with since months with ESET support. Now I am turning here to the forum community.
    Our software developers need to be able to access these addresses in the browser.
    We have tried everything we could think of in the WAP settings - excluding the IPs from WAP scans, adding the IPs and localhost under URL List Management - and nothing solves the issue.

Due to these unresolved problems we have had to resort to disabling WAP completely in the profile.

• Administrators

There will be always certain overhead when it comes to scanning or http(s) filtering, however, it should not be that big. I would recommend raising a support ticket for help with troubleshooting the issue and finding the root cause on your system. In our tests we didn't experience such a big performance drop.

• ESET Staff

Hi,

could you please specify in more detail issue from point 2? I'm not sure, if I understand it correctly. You are running some services locally, which are listening on some ports and you can't access it via browser? 

Regards,

Kurco

Edited by kurco

2 hours ago, kurco said:

Hi,

could you please specify in more detail issue from point 2? I'm not sure, if I understand it correctly. You are running some services locally, which are listening on some ports and you can't access it via browser? 

Regards,

Kurco

Yes, the devs are serving some website services from, for example, a docker container, and they cannot access the website via Chrome/Firefox because WAP is blocking it.

@Marcos @kurco 

These are the results of our most recent tests (regarding problem #2):
  1. The policy settings are being successfully implemented on the client devices
  2. WAP is "blocking" the IP address of the docker container - in this case 172.18.0.3
  3. Excluding the docker container's IP address allows the served website to be loaded in both Chrome and Firefox
Questions:
  • Why does WAP not seem to actually block access to the docker container's IP address
    • Instead the web browser returns a blank page and the browser dev-tool shows a '200 OK' status, but there are 0 bytes of data returned.
      • Which differs from when the web browser shows a 'Site not reachable', or ESET's 'This site is blocked', page.
    • The site also remains reachable via the curl command in the terminal
  • Why does WAP interfere at all with this internal IP address?
Edited by eab

Regarding problem #1 - from our testing we have determined that the performance degradation is not noticeable on Windows clients.

• ESET Staff

Hi eab,

we will still need further details about your issues, so please raise a support ticket and we will allocate resources to investigate what is really going on. 

Thanks. 

• 1 month later...

image.thumb.png.9680c5501d1e4675c75b669625ac0312.png

I just added brave to the list "excluded apps" in "policies" - i just added "/opt/brave.com/brave/brave" and "/usr/bin/brave-browser" ....

53 minutes ago, abyss02 said:

image.thumb.png.9680c5501d1e4675c75b669625ac0312.png

I just added brave to the list "excluded apps" in "policies" - i just added "/opt/brave.com/brave/brave" and "/usr/bin/brave-browser" ....

OK, but this defeats the purpose of have WAP enabled in the first place.

ESET support was able to identify the problem and acknowledged that this is not how it should be working. They will hopefully be fixing it in one of the next releases. 🤞

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, how did you solve the issue ? I have the same, unable to access localhost resources. Should I whitelist localhost addresses ? 

17 minutes ago, EjEm said:

Hello, how did you solve the issue ? I have the same, unable to access localhost resources. Should I whitelist localhost addresses ? 

We didn't. Still waiting on ESET to fix the bug.

9 minutes ago, eab said:

We didn't. Still waiting on ESET to fix the bug.

So only "fix" is to disable Web protection ? 

34 minutes ago, EjEm said:

So only "fix" is to disable Web protection ? 

Pretty much. 😕 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Please provide your support ticket number or contact the distributor whom you reported the issue for an update.

13 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Please provide your support ticket number or contact the distributor whom you reported the issue for an update.

I believe this is the correct ticket info:

#CASE_00668931 - Google Chrome Browser performance degradation

The last person to be in touch with me about it was:

Christian Schwalb

I'll add to this that the performance degradation has created numerous problems in my company and is not limited to performance in the web browser. We have this performance degradation with a myriad of tasks related to software development, such as docker containers and python scripts - I guess anything communicating over https.

As we use Atlassian's online products, the performance when simply opening tickets, or even posting comments, is painfully slow compared to not having WAP enabled. And every time performance is degraded, there is a spike in CPU activity with the scand process being at the top.

Edited by eab

• Administrators

Please ask for an update in the ticket since there's no note of the related ticket to ESET HQ. I've asked the person from ESET DE support for more information.

7 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Please ask for an update in the ticket since there's no note of the related ticket to ESET HQ. I've asked the person from ESET DE support for more information.

Thank you for reaching out to ESET DE Support. I'm surprised, and a bit disappointed, that the info didn't reach ESET HQ. 

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, eab said:

Thank you for reaching out to ESET DE Support. I'm surprised, and a bit disappointed, that the info didn't reach ESET HQ. 

I've eventually received the ticket ID from our DE support. In the ticket a developer replied: We plan to investigate the problem in much greater detail in the future and optimize the product to provide a better performance in a next version. As the problem is easily replicated by accessing the website from a default installation of our product, we don't expect the need further data from the client.

17 minutes ago, Marcos said:

I've eventually received the ticket ID from our DE support. In the ticket a developer replied: We plan to investigate the problem in much greater detail in the future and optimize the product to provide a better performance in a next version. As the problem is easily replicated by accessing the website from a default installation of our product, we don't expect the need further data from the client.

Yes, that's the last reply I received from Mr. Schwalb on the 13.12.23. It doesn't say anything other than "we have reproduced the issue and will fix it at some point in time".

As a business using ESET for PC security, I expect a bit more in the way of a timeline of this problem being fixed - a problem which is so severe it makes WAP harmful to productivity (for Linux users), where it really should not. And for that kind of problem I expect something a lot more concrete from the developer of the software.

• Administrators
18 hours ago, eab said:

As a business using ESET for PC security, I expect a bit more in the way of a timeline of this problem being fixed - a problem which is so severe it makes WAP harmful to productivity (for Linux users), where it really should not. And for that kind of problem I expect something a lot more concrete from the developer of the software.

I've reached out to the product manager with a reference to this topic and asked to look into it with higher priority, if possible.

20 minutes ago, Marcos said:

I've reached out to the product manager with a reference to this topic and asked to look into it with higher priority, if possible.

Thank you kindly.

Look like here at my company, we are affected by the same exact behavior @eab described in this thread...

Like @eab, as an enterprise customer, I am very surprised that problem stay in « backlog », since to be able to use services listening on « localhost » for all of our developer's, it imply to disable completely the WAP security on all of our Linux clients running the product...

I am now following this topic, thanks to @eab for the detailed behavior described here...