Default password expiry setting for ESET Full Disk Encryption

Edmond H T Lo
Go to solution Solved by Kstainton,

Hi there,

We use ESET Full Disk Encryption on our clients. 

Is there a system default that set how long when the authentication password expires please? And if so what is the default value please? I can see the Built-in EFDE policy has no  settings for password expiry. We have a custom policy too but we didn't enable the settings for password expiry. 

But looks like the system has a default that enables password expiry. Yet, I have no idea how long password will expire. 

I know I can set a custom policy to make password not to expire but is there a list of this plus other default settings for EFDE if we don't not apply any custom policy please? I know the default password characters policy are upper and lower case, plus number and with a minimum length of 8. That is obvious during the setup. 

Thanks.

• ESET Staff
  • Solution

Hi @Edmond H T Lo,

I am afraid there isn't a 'Default' settings for Password Expiry, so it will not expire unless you send a 'Invalidate FDE login Password' task to the EFDE Client. See here: https://help.eset.com/efde/en-US/encryption_management.html

There isn't a list as such of what is default, but if using the 'Encrypt all disk" Built In Policy then the following will be default:

Use TPM: Enabled (Use if possible)

User can change password: Enabled

Password Min Length: 8

Must use Lowercase, Uppercase and Numbers: Enabled

Incorrect Password Attempts: 5

"Recovery" Incorrect Password Attempts: 5

"Recovery" Password Uses: 5

Those are all the important ones that should be noted.

Edited by Kstainton

On 6/30/2023 at 8:09 PM, Kstainton said:

Hi @Edmond H T Lo,

I am afraid there is no 'Default' settings for Password Expiry, so it will not expire unless you send a 'Invalidate FDE login Password' task to the EFDE Client. See here: https://help.eset.com/efde/en-US/encryption_management.html

There isn't a list as such of what is default, but if using the 'Encrypt all disk" Built In Policy then the following will be default:

Use TPM: Enabled (Use if possible)

User can change password: Enabled

Password Min Length: 8

Must use Lowercase, Uppercase and Numbers: Enabled

Incorrect Password Attempts: 5

"Recovery" Incorrect Password Attempts: 5

"Recovery" Password Uses: 5

Those are all the important ones that should be noted.

Thanks.