Encryption Rollout

glennh2705

Hello

I would be interested in how you best implement the topic of encryption.

The problem I have is that our employees change places and computers from time to time, so it is not possible to use the boot password.

In addition, I don't want everyone to have to click and activate manually on the approximately 100 computers

We have ESET Protect Complete
How did you solve it?

• ESET Staff

Hello, maybe @Kstainton will be able to provide some advice. However, if you plan to use "EFDE", the boot password is the only way of working (comparable to BitLocker, where the encryption pre-boot password is tight to the device, not the user). Also, as the encryption is a system demanding process, it should be acknowledged by the local end-user.  

• ESET Staff

Hi @glennh2705, I am afraid @MichalJ is absolutely correct, ESET Full Disk Encryption (EFDE) can only be booted with a single FDE Password and therefore isn't a suitable product for an environment where 'Hot Desking' takes place, as every user would need to know that single FDE Password.

However, we do provide a product called ESET Endpoint Encryption (EEE) which would much more suitable for this sort of environment. This product allows up to 126 FDE user accounts as well as an additional account reserved for an admin user: https://help.eset.com/eee_client/5/en-US/ 

It also has its own completely standalone ESET Endpoint Encryption Server (EEES) that you can use to manage Encryption on all of your systems, it provides a massive variety of extra features that also do not exist with EFDE and it's certainly something I would suggest looking into instead. It would solve your 'Hot Desking' issue with EFDE and also provide you many more features. E.g. MBR/Legacy Boot Mode support. The ability to  encrypt files, folders and emails. USB Encryption. You can create encrypted virtual disks, compress archives and it also includes a desktop shredder for secure file deletion.

I understand this will not help your directly with your issue regarding EFDE, but unfortunately this product is a much more basic version of EEE and therefore does not contain all the same features, multiple FDE Users being one of them.

If you have any additional questions, any at all, please do get in touch.

Thank you,

Kieran