Jump to content

Why does ESET mark its products as antivirus?


Kristal
 Share

Recommended Posts

ESET products detect all kinds of malware. So why are they antivirus, not anti-malware? I understand that a lot of people who are beginners in using of computers can't understand any difference between the words "virus" and "malware", so they think that all malware are viruses.  But ESET products have a lot of settings, so they are created for advanced users, not for begginers like AV products which have super duper bright UI and don't have almost any settings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

ESET not only detects threats but also scam, spam, suspicious applications, potentially unwanted and unsafe applications, etc. There's no generic name that would include all kinds of detections in the name and "antivirus" is a standard term used by users worldwide.

Moreover, ESET NOD32 Antivirus or ESET Endpoint antivirus are just basic products. ESET Internet Security and other products do not contain "Antivirus" in their names.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Marcos said:

ESET not detects threats but also scam, spam, suspicious applications, potentially unwanted and unsafe applications, etc. There's no generic name that would include all kinds of detections in the name and "antivirus" is a standard term used by users worldwide.

ESET protects from all threats which you mentioned. I found screenshots on ESET official website which prove that.

2926_KB3204Fig1-1a.png

SOLN3645FIG1-2_65.png

8833b76dc5e6471ea0dbe3b19920f83d.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Most Valued Members
On 9/13/2022 at 3:06 PM, Kristal said:

ESET protects from all threats which you mentioned. I found screenshots on ESET official website which prove that.

2926_KB3204Fig1-1a.png

SOLN3645FIG1-2_65.png

8833b76dc5e6471ea0dbe3b19920f83d.png

As Marcos has mentioned internet security does not actually say Antivirus in the name but also I think Antivirus is seen as a general term now as most people just  lump it with multiple things. It's the name most people know

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, peteyt said:

As Marcos has mentioned internet security does not actually say Antivirus in the name but also I think Antivirus is seen as a general term now as most people just  lump it with multiple things. It's the name most people know

Even ESET NOD32 Antivirus detects all kinds of malware.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Most Valued Members
33 minutes ago, Kristal said:

Even ESET NOD32 Antivirus detects all kinds of malware.

But most people know the word antivirus more than malware. 

Many years ago it is true that AVs just focused on viruses but that has changed but as most people have gotten used to the word it has just been used to mean a general security products.

It's a bit like web designers Vs web developers. Designers generally focus on the design but it's now a general word for someone who creates websites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, peteyt said:

But most people know the word antivirus more than malware. 

Many years ago it is true that AVs just focused on viruses but that has changed but as most people have gotten used to the word it has just been used to mean a general security products.

It's a bit like web designers Vs web developers. Designers generally focus on the design but it's now a general word for someone who creates websites

So the reason why ESET products have incorrect names is very low level of computer literacy of users, right? That's really strange reason to give incorrect names to the products.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, Kristal said:

So the reason why ESET products have incorrect names is very low level of computer literacy of users, right? That's really strange reason to give incorrect names to the products.

My point was most people in general think about antiviruses as general security programs. For example if you go onto the website for AVG Antivirus free it also finds malware, spyware etc.

The point is general people associate these kind of programs as antiviruses so it makes sense to market them as just that.

As someone who works in IT I can tell you there's more people who have heard of antiviruses and many who wouldn't even know what malware is

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, peteyt said:

For example if you go onto the website for AVG Antivirus free it also finds malware, spyware etc.

This company creates software for very beginner users.

20 minutes ago, peteyt said:

The point is general people associate these kind of programs as antiviruses so it makes sense to market them as just that.

Malwarebytes named its main product "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" and it doesn't have any troubles with sales.

26 minutes ago, peteyt said:

As someone who works in IT I can tell you there's more people who have heard of antiviruses and many who wouldn't even know what malware is

That's really difficult to believe in it. IT workers must have good computer literacy level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

We won't use Malwarebyte's naming. Virtually every single reputable security vendor uses "antivirus" in its basic product portfolio:

image.png

image.png

Since @peteytsaid it all and explained it perfectly, we'll draw this topic to a close.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Marcos locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...