Submit samples with Gmail

File types blocked by Gmail are:

.ade, .adp, .apk, .appx, .appxbundle, .bat, .cab, .chm, .cmd, .com, .cpl, .dll, .dmg, .ex, .ex_, .exe, .hta, .ins, .isp, .iso, .jar, .js, .jse, .lib, .lnk, .mde, .msc, .msi, .msix, .msixbundle, .msp, .mst, .nsh, .pif, .ps1, .scr, .sct, .shb, .sys, .vb, .vbe, .vbs, .vxd, .wsc, .wsf, .wsh

image.png.5fdea9725f0716bd5072f26a98be6554.png

Basically, I always append ".vir" extension to every sample, but my submissions are easily ignored by them.

Any suggestions for submitting samples using Gmail?

Thanks

1 hour ago, itman said:

It doesn't work. Gmail doesn't let you attach any type of zip file if the file contains file types of the above-mentioned formats. If you encrypt file names of the zip, then it doesn't accept that either. This is a big problem. ESET really needs a dedicated website for submitting samples like almost all other vendors have. I don't understand how come they don't have any. 

Edited by SeriousHoax

1 hour ago, SeriousHoax said:

It doesn't work. Gmail doesn't let you attach any type of zip file if the file contains file types of the above-mentioned formats.

Then submit via the Eset GUI:

If you prefer not to send an email, use the sample submission form in your ESET product:

1. Open the main program window of your ESET Windows product.

2. Click Tools More tools and click Submit sample for analysis.

3. Follow the in-product wizard to complete your submission.

Edited by itman

2 hours ago, itman said:

Then submit via the Eset GUI:

Submissions via the ESET GUI do not receive high priority and can take days or months to be processed by lab experts (in many cases, they won't be processed by lab experts). 

Last time, I submitted a suspicious Android sample via ESET GUI and got a reply after three months. 🤣 

Edited by AnthonyQ

3 hours ago, Veremo said:

If gmail doesn't work for you.. just use different email provider (what about outlook.com ?)

Outlook works, but still not a proper solution since many people just use Gmail. The best thing to do is to have a dedicated website for malware submission. 

Here's one example: https://submit.norton.com/ 

• Most Valued Members
On 7/10/2022 at 3:02 AM, AnthonyQ said:

Submissions via the ESET GUI do not receive high priority and can take days or months to be processed by lab experts (in many cases, they won't be processed by lab experts). 

Last time, I submitted a suspicious Android sample via ESET GUI and got a reply after three months. 🤣 

Yeah this does not sound good. I rarely email eset but have seen sometimes their emails can take a bit to get replies which for a security company is not great. Malware developers don't wait.

I think an upload service by eset could also help but unsure if it could be costly?

1 hour ago, peteyt said:

Yeah this does not sound good. I rarely email eset but have seen sometimes their emails can take a bit to get replies which for a security company is not great. Malware developers don't wait.

I think an upload service by eset could also help but unsure if it could be costly?

I think an automated submission system can reduce labor costs, because this system can help merge duplicate sample submissions and automatically sort and process the samples that have been analyzed by an expert or are known to be harmless. And most importantly, it can improve the submission experience by enabling submitter to track the status of submission.