Event Viewer Warnings

SCR

• Most Valued Members

I found the following while looking for for a different issue in Event Viewer. Not a complaint but just an FYI.

Windows7 sp1 x64

post-351-0-64761700-1410306752_thumb.png

post-351-0-81319200-1410306762_thumb.png

post-351-0-44790300-1410306769_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Most Valued Members

Hello SCR,

are you able to reproduce the issue, or it happened just once?

I checked event viewer, not something I do very often, and the error has not occurred since my original post. In looking back through event viewer postings the earliest error of this type occurred on 8/14/14 and reoccurred about a dozen times between 8/14 and 9/9.

So a direct answer to your question would be no, I can not reproduce the error.

Edited by SCR

• Most Valued Members

I did a clean install of the latest release of v8 this evening. I think I may know the cause of the entries in the event log.

Normally I am not connected to the Internet when I start my computer. I use a Verizon cell modem for my connection so I do not have a 24/7 connection. Because I have a cap on my usage I may disconnect and reconnect several times a day. That being said I have rebooted the computer while connected as well as started it after my other computer was already connected through the router. It is rare that this happens but then again so are the entries in the log. Under normal conditions Eset updates about an hour after the boot.

I'm thinking that Windows has tracked the start up time of Eset while not connected and the delay may be caused by the update to the database and the scan following the update.

I'll try having the router and Internet connected prior to the first boot to see if I can reproduce the log entries. I'll let you know the results. 

I'll try having the router and Internet connected prior to the first boot to see if I can reproduce the log entries. I'll let you know the results. 

Yeah, In that case ESET should update very shortly after boot.  :)

If I may ask... Is there any other security software installed that is starting at boot as service? Something like AV software, performance tuning software, registry cleaners, firewalls?

• Most Valued Members

If I may ask... Is there any other security software installed that is starting at boot as service? Something like AV software, performance tuning software, registry cleaners, firewalls?

The only AV/Security software starting at boot is Eset Smart Security.  I do have Malwarebytes Premium installed but at present only use it for on demand scanning and it does not start at boot.

I have an inherent fear of performance tuning software and never use it. Something about "Push this button and all your problems will be solved and your computer will run like new" but.. we are not going to tell you what it's doing... just doesn't sit well with me.

I occasionally use CCleaner to review the registry but only use it to clean a problem with a specific software issue. It's been my experience that, in most cases, registry cleaning/compaction produces very little in the way of benefit  on windows 7 but can cause many problems, XP was another story.

Eset manages my firewall settings.

I have been booting my computer normally, not connected, as I said I just installed the latest release of v8  and want to see if any errors are logged, there hasn't . I will start the router and modem prior to booting tomorrow morning when I'm sure there will be an update available and check the results.

• Most Valued Members

It seems that connecting before boot produces the event warning. Eset updated during the boot process this morning. I should have thought of this a long time ago.

As I said in my original post it was not something I was concerned about nor was it a compliant.

Thanks to all who took of their time to review this post.

post-351-0-18182600-1412242371_thumb.png