ESET Internet Security 15.1.12.0 breaks secure browser

Last weekend I noticed a warning when I opened the secured browser: "Your browser isn't protected by ESET because there's a conflict with files loaded in the browser." This happened whether I was using Firefox or Microsoft Edge. I have spent (wasted) many hours trying to resolve this. I followed ESET troubleshooting procedures. As directed, I ran the ESET Log Collector, but when I tried to upload the file, it was too large! I reported this to ESET, and the reply was I should set EIS to "Secure all Browsers". That did not fix the problem. I tried all kinds of other things, including uninstalling Malwarebytes. I noticed that my wife's computer, which is the same laptop model and has most of the same software loaded, did not have this problem. It turns out her computer is still running the previous version of EIS, 15.0.23.0.

I restored a BU of my C: drive from a few weeks ago, before the EIS upgrade. So right now my computer is running EIS 15.0.23.0. I tried opening the secured browser in both FF and Edge, and in both cases the window has a green border (not red), and there is no warning message.

Here is my problem: I already have a message from ESET that I should restart my computer so ESET can finish updating to 15.1.12.0. How can I prevent this update from occurring? I will need to restart my computer for other reasons, and as soon as I do, I will have 15.1.12.0 running and will get the same warning in the secured browser. Please tell me how I can keep 15.0.23.0 until you fix the problem.

• Administrators

A secure browser now behaves same as before with older versions of ESET (15.0 and older) ie. untrusted dlls are blocked from loading to the browser and no red badge is displayed.

Please carry on as follows to help us determine the untrusted dll loaded by a browser on your machine:
- with browsers closed, enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Technical support
- launch a secure browser
- disable logging
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here.

Marcos,

Thanks for responding so quickly. I have followed your instructions (hope I followed them correctly). I set ESET Log Collector to collect logs only from the last day, hoping to avoid the problem of a file too big to upload. Still, the .ZIP file collected by Log Collector was about 117,00 KB, greater than the 100 MB limit for uploading files on the Forum. I extracted the .ZIP file and compressed the contents into a .RAR file which is around 90 MB, so it is just under the limit. I am sending the file to you in a private message for security reasons.

I will be interested to find out what the problem file is, as it apparently is being loaded with both Firefox and Edge.

I am still running EIS 15.0, but if I understand you correctly, I should now be able to upgrade to the current version (15.1) and no longer get the warning message and red badge.

chileverde

Hi chileverde

I had the same issue as you, I believe, in that the message manifested itself once I upgraded from 15.0.23.0 (was not seen at the earlier released). However, it was the upgrade to 15.1.12.0 that seemed to cause the issue. 🤔

Anyway, I raised this directly with ESET Support, sent in the collector logs but unfortunately was advised that they did not show much that was useful to diagnosing the issue. So a call with ESET Support was set up for them to remote into my system to do so me checking.

That call never took place, for a number of reasons, but on the day of the call I noticed that Banking & Payment Protection was working again, i.e., no warning in red, etc.,

Not sure why, as I can see no change in version no. and I most certainly did not install/uninstall any apps on my system...so that is a mystery...but suffice to say that things are now OK at 15.1.12.0.

So I would go ahead with the upgrade (having of course taken a further back up copy/image of your system just in case) and see if that works for you.

Hope that helps? 😁

Regards, Baldrick

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

on the day of the call I noticed that Banking & Payment Protection was working again, i.e., no warning in red, etc.,

Not sure why, as I can see no change in version no. and I most certainly did not install/uninstall any apps on my system...so that is a mystery...but suffice to say that things are now OK at 15.1.12.0.

Explained in my post above. Instead of allowing loading of untrusted dlls and displaying a red badge, we have reverted to the previous behavior when loading of untrusted dlls is automatically blocked and no red badge is displayed. That said, v15.1 now behaves like v15.0 and older, ie. one may again experience issues with a secure browser stemming from the block of untrusted dlls, such as issues with printing.

5 hours ago, Marcos said:

Explained in my post above. Instead of allowing loading of untrusted dlls and displaying a red badge, we have reverted to the previous behavior when loading of untrusted dlls is automatically blocked and no red badge is displayed. That said, v15.1 now behaves like v15.0 and older, ie. one may again experience issues with a secure browser stemming from the block of untrusted dlls, such as issues with printing.

Baldrick,

Thanks for your post. As Marcos explains in quote above, ESET has changed behavior of EIS, so it now works as it did before, blocking untrusted DLLs and not displaying the red badge. I sent my Collector files to Marcos, and he found that my problem file was one associated with Macro Express Pro (C:\Program Files (x86)\Macro Express Pro 6\mexhookx64.dll). I had wondered how I could have a problem file in both Firefox and Edge, and the answer is that Macro Express must cause it to be loaded into both browsers.

After hearing back from Marcos, I upgraded to ESET Internet Security 15.1.12.0. I no longer get the red badge and warning message in the secured browser.

chileverde