ESET Endpoint scan from terminal not working

nwb

When I try to run a scan from terminal

eg. sudo /opt/eset/eea/bin/odscan --scan --profile="@Smart scan" /folder structure to scan/

I get the following error messages

logd[2660]: ESET Endpoint Antivirus Error: Cannot create temporary file: Permission denied
logd[2660]: ESET Endpoint Antivirus Error: Cannot create new scan log: Too many scan logs are open simultaneously

I can't find anything documented to sort this.  It's probably something simple.  Any help or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated

Thanks

• ESET Staff

Hello Nwb

please restart the system
stop eea service
check the folder /var/log/eset/eea/ods/
clean up the log files - delete the log files rm /var/log/eset/eea/ods/*
check the permission of /var/log/eset/eea/ods/ (stat -c %a /var/log/eset/eea/ods/) should be 700
check permissions of /tmp/ (stat -c %a /tmp/) should be 1777
in case the permissions are different it is needed to fix the permissions to this folders

In case issue will persist please collcect the log files and provide us with log files
https://help.eset.com/eeau/8/en-US/collect-logs.html

Thanks for replying

/tmp folder had permission 1777 so OK

/eset/eea/ods/ folders in /var/log/ didn't even exist.  So I added them and set the permission of the ods folder to 700

But I still have the same issue when I try to run a scan.  I've attached the log files.  They downloaded as a .tar.gz so I had to convert it to .zip for attachment, hope it's OK

Cheers

nwb

eea_logs.tar.zip

• ESET Staff

Hello Nwb

Thank you for provided log files. I checked them and there are definitely issues with access rights of logging service, which could be caused by some issue during installation or installation is broken.

09/24/2021 09:41:32 PM,Logging service,Cannot create temporary file: Permission denied,eset-eea-logd
09/24/2021 06:29:30 PM,Configuration service,Cannot write to socket: Broken pipe,eset-eea-confd

Regarding to feedback about permissions of tmp it should be ok. But information about missing directories indicates broken installation.

In this case I would suggest to uninstall EEA reboot the machine and make clean installation from terminal running binary as root.

Also you are using version 8.1.3.0 and we released new service release with performance fixes so, I would suggest to obtain installer of newest version 8.1.4.0.

https://download.eset.com/com/eset/apps/business/eea/linux/g2/latest/eeau.x86_64.bin

Thanks for looking at this

I've uninstalled, rebooted, and then reinstalled.  Definitely now on 8.1.4.0

But I still have the same problem when I attempt to run a scan:

logd[2657]: ESET Endpoint Antivirus Error: Cannot create temporary file: Permission denied
logd[2657]: ESET Endpoint Antivirus Error: Cannot create new scan log: Too many scan logs are open

A bit frustrating.  I've attached the latest logs.  And the gui

This scan issue, is this just for manual scans or would it be affecting the auto scanning of incoming files as well?

Cheers

nwb

Screenshot_ESET_300921.png

eea_logs.tar.zip

Hello

Wondering if you've had a chance to look at this problem yet?

Still happening on scan attempt

logd[13010]: ESET Endpoint Antivirus Error: Cannot create temporary file: Permission denied
logd[13010]: ESET Endpoint Antivirus Error: Cannot create new scan log: Too many scan logs are open simultaneously

Thanks

nwb