ESET Protect: POTENTIALLY UNSAFE APPLICATIONS finds EFI/CompuTrace.A

Dud3

Hello,

i already googled and searched in the forum for a solution but could not find any.

Since weeks our weekly deep scan on our clients is finding the "EFI/CompuTrace.A"  as an POTENTIALLY UNSAFE APPLICATIONS.

This is not the case this is a a false detection.

I also tried some suggestions from this articel: https://support.eset.com/en/kb6567-you-receive-an-eset-uefi-detection

The main problem i have is that i create exclusions for the detection and every week i got thousands of findings for this error.

When i got an finding i login on the eset protect server -> go to "Detections" -> select the EFI/Computrace findings->Actions -> create Exlusion-> i Tried all 3 options an the target for the exclusions is always "all" .

But i still receive thousands of detections every time the deep scan is running.

Deactivating the POTENTIALLY UNSAFE APPLICATIONS scan is not an option.

How do i fix this problem? 

Kind Regards

One possibility is how you have configured Eset scan parameters. Refer to below screen shot. By default, Eset uses Real-time settings for its off-line scanning. If that setting is disabled, I suspect that Real-time exclusions are no longer in effect pertaining to off-line scanning.

Eset_Scan.thumb.png.584455ac6b66b0586f53676e41a568dc.png

Edited by itman

• Administrators

Since you have almost 1600 exclusions, I'd recommend:

- removing all exclusions in the ESET PROTECT console -> Exclusions
- excluding EFI/ComputerTrace via the Detections panel as follows:

f necessary to exclude Ntool.Netcat (was excluded incorrectly), please do it like above too, ie. from the Detections window -> Create exclusion and then choose the 3rd option "Detection".

image.png

ok, i deleted all the exclusion and created one new exclusion as described by Marcos.

i will watch this the days and give you feedback about the outcome

Today i received about 500 notifications from ESET about potentially unsafe applications with EFI/CompuTrace.A 

What else can i do or check?

• 2 weeks later...

@Marcos during the past few days i created 8 exclusions and i still get several hundred notifications per day

all these are exclusions via "detection" as described by you

image.png.af4dcb7811da911467508a1f5711f6ed.png

do you have a idea what else i can try?

• Administrators

On the computer from which you provided ELC logs all on-demand scan logs have zero number of detections so it looks like the detection exclusion for "EFI/CompuTrace.A" works there.

When running an on-demand scan, you have an option to ignore exclusions. Make sure it's disabled:

image.png