Virusradar.com And Virus-Radar.com

rugk

I just found a small thing out. ESET have two times the same website for their virus encyclopaedia:

They have exact the same content and there is no redirection between these two sites.

This can be a bit vexing...

What's the reason for this?

Edited by rugk

They bought both domains.

If someone has a typo, and forget to add the hyphen. Same location pulls up.

Or just the fact that you can type either in and get to , not really the same place, but the same content is displayed.

Maybe one should just redirect as you stated, i am puzzled why they would build 2 entire indexes. lol

But both addresses are resolved to the same IP:

So they use the server and always the same data is displayed, isn't it?

Yes I think one could redirect to the other, so all users would know what is "the real address" (the better one ;)). At this time every use has to decide himself what address he finds better.

By the way: I find www.virusradar.com better.  :rolleyes:  Also if you click in the program on "help and support" you come to virusradar.com and not to this thing with the hyphen. ;):P

Edited by rugk

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

I am unsure of the exact reason for this; but I think there may be some third-party automated systems which still pull from one or the other URLs, so both are kept lit as a courtesy.

Is there a particular problem you see with have both URLs available?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

A Problem... Maybe that users could get confused or think that one is a fake...

And you have to spend money on both domains. ;)

But generally I don't mind if it still remains the same.

Edited by rugk

Yeah, maybe. But they could also make a redirection from virus-radar.com to virusradar.com...

Yeah, it's really not a big problem.

Yes it's a none issue really as both are safe, but people that use virusradar.com and are familiar with that domain may one day instead end up on virus-radar.com (or find it via a google search, or on another forum or similar) and might ask themselves if someone have created a fake website to look exactly like virusradar.com.

Yes it's a none issue really as both are safe, but people that use virusradar.com and are familiar with that domain may one day instead end up on virus-radar.com (or find it via a google search, or on another forum or similar) and might ask themselves if someone have created a fake website to look exactly like virusradar.com.

Yes this was also my concern.

I've asked ESET North America via Twitter to verify that both links are in effect owned by ESET Sro

While it would seem that Virus-radar.com & virusradar.com are both owned by ESET, we await and official statement.

They are resolved to the same IP. So they could be: A) both faked and not from ESET or B) both original from ESET.

And I think B is correct.

Edited by rugk