What's the latest version? 14.2.10.0 or 14.2.19.0?

Outcast

I just got a notification from NOD32 that:

"The application update to version 14.2.10.0 is prepared. Restart your device for all changes to take effect."

I came here foolishly thinking that maybe I could see what was new in this version, only to find that:

"ESET NOD32 Antivirus, ESET Internet Security and ESET Smart Security Premium version 14.2.19 have been released and are available to download."

Why am I about to update to 14.2.10 if 14.2.19 is available?

• Most Valued Members

14.2.19.0 is the latest. it was released today. the support article wasn't updated yet it seems.

download the latest nod32 update from here. download the live installer by clicking download for windows or click advanced download on the right and download the desired 32 or 64 bit version for the  computer you want to install it to.

https://www.eset.com/int/home/antivirus/download/

Thanks. I just clicked "Check for updates", and now it says that "14.2.19.0 is prepared".

I hope that my installation will be correct and consistent, but I'm not going to uninstall and reinstall to ensure that it is.

Edited by Outcast

• Most Valued Members

you can just download the correct version and install it over the old one. it will upgrade it just fine. that's what i do

Now all my ESET driver files (eamonm.sys, edevmon.sys, ehdrv.sys, and epfwwfp.sys) have been updated, but they show version 14.2.4.0 in their file properties. I don't know what's going on here.

The support article advises doing an uninstall before updating. If I do that, am I going to lose all my settings? I know I can export/import settings, but I don't trust that facility to capture and correctly restore all settings, any more than I trust the uninstall/reinstall to save them.

• Most Valued Members

on my pc it shows the same version as well. if you got a notification that the update was installed successfully, then don't worry. the article merely suggests to remove prior to updating it, if the user wants to remove it. it's not mandatory, otherwise they wouldn't have implemented the in-place update mechanism.

I've never seen a notice that a NOD32 update was successful or otherwise. I was concerned because one update was queued and then another queued on top of it.

Decades of working in IT has brought my trust level down to zero.

Thanks for the replies.

• Most Valued Members

you don't mention the previous version, but showing 14.2.10.0 could be old cached data, and then on a new check it retrieved the new version.

what version does it show when you open the program and go to help and support section?

also just because a new version is released it doesn't mean that ALL files/drivers etc. will have the same version number.

Capture.thumb.PNG.103790ef21ed0659805a77cd65e9b9cb.PNG

No, currently two updates are queued. I'm looking at upcu.xml which is the PCU configuration file, and it shows:

<PACKAGES>
  <UPCU ID="1" TYPE="diff" BASE="14.1.20.0" TARGET="14.2.10.0" TIMESTAMP="60D9FE25" RESULT="0" CONTEXT="" />
  <UPCU ID="2" TYPE="diff" BASE="14.2.10.0" TARGET="14.2.19.0" TIMESTAMP="60DA1521" RESULT="0" CONTEXT="" />
 </PACKAGES>

I used a separate utility to determine which files on my PC have changed since this morning. The driver files have changed, but the new version is indeed 14.2.4.0.

I just hope the application is designed to correctly handled multiple updates in this manner.

• Most Valued Members

the xml data you posted confuse me, perhaps it's some upgrade path from one version to another. like going from A > B, B > C in order to reach the final version D. and avoid going from A > D directly.

what does the program report when you open the about section as shown above in my image? if it's not 14.2.19.0 then download and upgrade on top of the old one, it will maintain all settings and activation status.

It shows 14.2.19.0. Hopefully every file that was supposed to be updated for this version was actually updated, rather than being left at the version that was queued for 14.2.10.0.

• Most Valued Members

if it shows xx.xx.19.xx then it must have updated successfully, otherwise i suppose you'd have visible problems.
to be sure, when the next update gets released, you can download the file as i have mentioned above and upgrade it that way.

19 hours ago, Outcast said:

Now all my ESET driver files (eamonm.sys, edevmon.sys, ehdrv.sys, and epfwwfp.sys) have been updated, but they show version 14.2.4.0 in their file properties. I don't know what's going on here.

This might "demystify" things.

After checking my Eset directory, all my drivers show a modification date of 6/14. This corresponds to the ver. 14.2.10 update install. These drivers all show  ver. 14.2.4.

I updated Eset to ver. 14.2.19 yesterday, 6/28. All Eset driver files still show a modification date of 6/14.

Bottom line - there were no Eset driver updates in the ver. 14.2.19 upgrade. Only non-driver file updates occurred.

Thanks. So the driver updates must have been associated with the 14.2.10 update.

Again, as long as the application is designed to correctly handle stacked updates, everything should be fine. I personally can't imagine designing an application that would allow updates to be stacked the way mine were yesterday, unless it could handle them properly. I also can't imagine designing one that wouldn't routinely perform version and consistency checks. But that's me, and I've been told I'm crazy.

Decades of working in IT has made me phenomenally and yet justifiably cynical in these matters.

6 minutes ago, Outcast said:

I personally can't imagine designing an application that would allow updates to be stacked the way mine were yesterday, unless it could handle them properly.

Eset product updates with a ver.; e.g. 14.xx.xx, are incremental. When Eset releases a new ver.; e.g. 15.xx.xx, expect to see most if not all files updated. I believe the reasoning behind this is to keep the upgrade installers as small a possible to minimize download times.

Understood. My concern was that the two updates I had simultaneously queued might have each have wanted to push their own updates to the same files, and that the older of the two might erroneously "win out".

For example maybe 14.2.10 intended to update "importantfile.dll"  but so did 14.2.19. I don't blindly trust that the newer 14.2.19 file is what I ended up with.

At the end of the day, if the product is so badly architected that a user has to worry about these things, it's not worth using. It's bad enough I was only pushed the 14.2.10 update on the same day the 14.2.19 update was already available.

People who think I'm obsessing over nothing have no idea. I've seen coding errors mess up 7- and 8-figure retirement account balances. Was it ever made truly right? No one knows. The same expletives who can't decide if it's safe to turn on red have your life in their hands. Sorry for the mini-rant.

24 minutes ago, Outcast said:

It's bad enough I was only pushed the 14.2.10 update on the same day the 14.2.19 update was already available.

On this regard, I think there is an issue with update available notifications in recent Eset versions. My notification of one is very much "a hit or miss" thing with many times they never occurring. As such, I can see how update "stacking" can be a common occurrence.

• Administrators

Update to a newer version may not be immediately available to all users. It can happen that a group of users will download upgrade on the day of release while some others may receive it with a little delay. The problem could be if you don't receive the update even after several days after the release but that has never happened to my best knowledge.

Thanks. As I mentioned above, I was not automatically updated to 14.2.10 until yesterday (June 28), but it came out quite awhile  (two weeks?) before that. I do have product update checking enabled in the application, of course.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Guray Akin said:

ı am updating eset 14.2.19. But i am using my printer and eamonm.sys problem. Later i uninstall eset internet security. I have not problem now

The bug was already in v14.2.10.

Temporarily disabling Network drives in the real-time protection setup should work around the issue. This setting is disabled by default and we don't recommend enabling it. The next service build will contain a fix.