Bank and Payment Proection has privacy concern?

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

I just curious how this function operate.

Firstly, I have not enable "Secure all browsers", but when I open paypal.com in Firefox browser (which is in my protected website list), it would show the "website redirection" window and ask me whether or not to open it in ESET browser.

However, how does ESET know what website I'm browsing, even in private browser mode. It means that ESET can track all my browser activity to perform this "protection", it raise my concern about privacy and possible data leak.

• Administrators

Since antivirus programs are and must be integrated deeply in the system in order to be able to monitor it for malware or suspicious operations, they can access various data in the system and applications. However, it is of topmost importance that the data is not submitted anywhere except the data that you agree with in EULA, e.g. when agreeing with submission of statistical information. Besides the security software you have to trust also the operating system. Without that you could not use Windows, Linux or whatever system if you would fear the system is leaking private or other confidential information.

1 hour ago, gttykytxl said:

However, how does ESET know what website I'm browsing, even in private browser mode. It means that ESET can track all my browser activity to perform this "protection", it raise my concern about privacy and possible data leak.

There is no privacy issue here as far as web site access is concerned.

Eset maintains an  internal whitelist of known safe known banking an financial web sites. If in normal browser mode; i.e. not Banking and Payment Protection mode, Eset will open the web site in  Banking and Payment Protection mode and ask if you want this like activity saved when future web site access in made.

The privacy issue lies in these above mentioned web sites use HTTPS protocol. My observation has been most of these web sites, being whitelisted, are subsequently excluded from Eset's  SSL/TLS protocol scanning. For the few web sites not so excluded, Eset performs SSL/TLS protocol scanning which allows it to scan encrypted communication for malware. If this activity is of concern to a user, they can set Eset's scan action to Ignore in the List of know certificates via URL method.

I got what you guys mean, if I choose to use ESET, I should trust this software, right?

So I just curious how the ESET know what website I am browsing, for example, send the "protected website" list to my Firefox browser, so as to triggle the ESET protection when I browser those website?

• Administrators
  • Solution

ESET filters both HTTP and HTTPS communication by default so the program knows what websites you open. If you open a website defined in an internal list of Internet banking websites, you are offered an option to open it in a secured browser.