Reboot task

Hi guys,

Is there an option in Security Management Center to send a reboot to a client with a 'remind me later' option and in case the client didn't perform the reboot force it after lets say a week? 

I had this option in Symantec Endpoint Protection.

Thanks,

Gal

• Administrators

An agent upgrade should not require a reboot to my best knowledge. However, a reboot is required when the security program upgrades to a  newer version and drivers are upgraded as well (especially if Device Control integration is enabled).

Currently it is not possible to delay reboot by clients. However, what you can is to send a message to users to save their work and reboot their machines.

Can you schedule the reboot via a maintenance window in any way?  I work for an MSP With 2000+ endpoints, 100 different clients, and I want to push the update to the software itself and properly schedule a reboot time, potentially per client and their needs.   Some have very specific times and days where they want automatic reboots to happen.  I can't seem to find any way to do a window or schedule or delay with the reboot..  We just upgraded to ESET Protect 8.0 and have the web console to manage it all.

• ESET Staff

Hello @Rootaah in general, the life is easier in case you have the console. I would recommend to combine the installation of the newer endpoint version with the reboot task (basically, set a software installation task, and checked option "reboot automatically when needed". As the reboot is required immediately after the task is executed, and there is impact on the protection of the device during the time, so immediate reboot is required. Therefore, the best practice is to deploy the newer version of the endpoint software during the maintenance window, when the reboot would not cause any harm. 

You can schedule any task, individually per customer, if your customers are organized into groups. Just define a corresponding trigger, to have it for example executed at a specific time during the week / month. You can even write a specific CRON expression. 

PS: if your clients currently run Endpoint 7.3, there is no need to hurry with the upgrade, 7.3 is within a full support and has guaranteed compatibility with all relevant operating systems. 

PPS: You can upgrade the ESET PROTECT management agent anytime, as reboot is not required for its upgrade (you can do this via a "ESET PROTECT Components upgrade task"). 

Any concerns with scheduling the restart for the ESET version update during a Windows patch window?  Our clients are used to specific patch nights.  So it's not a shock when they come in for work and see their PC rebooted during a specific day, say Wednesday morning.  Basically is there any harm scheduling the ESET need to restart to occur during a windows restart due to windows patching?  Will applying windows patching during an ESET upgrade from 7.3 to 8.0 cause any conflicts or issues?

Edited by Rootaah