Sluggish Eset Internet Security

Greetings team,

I apologize in advance if this subject has already been proched and or is basically obviously.

Recent I updated one's Est Esecurity to 14.0.21 and noticed almost immediately that it became sluggish across the board, slow to load, slow to initiate running and just slow to respond.

Thinking that it could be one of those instants where persistently upgrading a program (rather than a complete new install), does cause the program to malfunction.

So I uninstalled it and did a complete reinstall of 14.0.21. 

Eset ran fine for a short time and then upgraded to 14.0.22. This also ran fine for a short time but following a windows update, Eset is running sluggish across the board again.

Just by chance I tripped over a post suggesting checking the Windows Defender settings against the Eset settings

To wit, refer to the attached.

My question is this, if I am these screenshots correctly are both Eset Security and Windows Defender are on at the same time and shouldn't the Windows Defender be totally disabled for Eset to function properly?

Thank you in advance

HTH

Screenshot 2020-11-10 122207.jpg

Screenshot 2020-11-10 122401.jpg

• Most Valued Members
11 hours ago, hth said:

Greetings team,

I apologize in advance if this subject has already been proched and or is basically obviously.

Recent I updated one's Est Esecurity to 14.0.21 and noticed almost immediately that it became sluggish across the board, slow to load, slow to initiate running and just slow to respond.

Thinking that it could be one of those instants where persistently upgrading a program (rather than a complete new install), does cause the program to malfunction.

So I uninstalled it and did a complete reinstall of 14.0.21. 

Eset ran fine for a short time and then upgraded to 14.0.22. This also ran fine for a short time but following a windows update, Eset is running sluggish across the board again.

Just by chance I tripped over a post suggesting checking the Windows Defender settings against the Eset settings

To wit, refer to the attached.

My question is this, if I am these screenshots correctly are both Eset Security and Windows Defender are on at the same time and shouldn't the Windows Defender be totally disabled for Eset to function properly?

Thank you in advance

HTH

Screenshot 2020-11-10 122207.jpg

Screenshot 2020-11-10 122401.jpg

What is shown on the update and home page as it shows something not working properly 

• Administrators

Could you please elaborate more on the sluggish behavior? Perhaps a demonstration video would be best.

As for the screen shots you've posted, they look alright.

10 hours ago, peteyt said:

What is shown on the update and home page as it shows something not working properly 

Thank you for your input.

The point of the two screenshots is that they both indicate that a firewall is on but the question remains, how many firewalls?

If Eset has its own firewall (and by extension, it's own firewall protocols) and does not in anyway use the Windows Defender firewall then the screenshots would indicate I am currently running two firewalls.

If that is the case, it is not a wonder that Eset is slow.

If on the other hand Eset does use Windows Defender Firewall then maybe i have to look somewhere else for what is slowing down the reaction times of my Eset

10 hours ago, Marcos said:

Could you please elaborate more on the sluggish behavior? Perhaps a demonstration video would be best.

As for the screen shots you've posted, they look alright.

Thank you for your reply.

Not wishing to get into any sort of arguments here as you are bound to know better than I am on the functionality of Eset. However as I have said in my reply to peteyt, depending on just how Eset actually runs the screenshots would indicate I am running 2 firewalls simultaneously which as i understand things is counter productive.

Does Eset have its own firewall and protocols or does it somehow use Windows Defender Firewall in the management of internet traffic?

Also I apologize if I was not clear about "sluggish". When I click it on Eset Internet Security, the program briefly delays before starting. Clicking on 'scan computer' brings about another delay of anything up to 90 plus seconds with the actually UI becoming black or in some cases translucent accompanied by the mouse cursor becoming a round looping icon. Then the scan starts.

I can make a video if required

• Most Valued Members
40 minutes ago, hth said:

Thank you for your input.

The point of the two screenshots is that they both indicate that a firewall is on but the question remains, how many firewalls?

If Eset has its own firewall (and by extension, it's own firewall protocols) and does not in anyway use the Windows Defender firewall then the screenshots would indicate I am currently running two firewalls.

If on the other hand Eset does use Windows Defender Firewall then maybe i have to look somewhere else for what is slowing down the reaction times of my Eset

Firstly I belive the firewall should be active, just Windows defender itself or whatever it is called now that shouldn't but I think you misread my question.

In your screenshot the home tab has an orange 2 and the update has a red 1. These indicate something is probably wrong. What do you see on these pages

16 minutes ago, peteyt said:

Firstly I belive the firewall should be active, just Windows defender itself or whatever it is called now that shouldn't but I think you misread my question.

In your screenshot the home tab has an orange 2 and the update has a red 1. These indicate something is probably wrong. What do you see on these pages

The orange and red indicators you inquired about are indicative of not being connected to the internet when I took the screen capture. The red indicator is update and the orange indicator is action needed. Both are sorted when a connection to the net is made.

To determine if Eset is properly installed in regards to the Win firewall and Defender, open Windows Security Center. Mouse click on Virus & threat protection. On the displayed screen, mouse click on "Manage providers" on the right hand side. What should be displayed next is shown below:

image.png.181f4b1b07dbc2edc9fcbd6ac88274fa.png

Additionally, your posted Eset screen shows a problem with Eset update status. Also additional issues as indicated by the yellow warning indicator to the right of the Eset GUI Home screen. These need to be further explored by you.

Edited by itman

• Administrators
11 hours ago, hth said:

Windows firewall can partially filter certain communication even if the ESET firewall is active. It should not cause performance issues unlike two real-time protection modules being active at a time.

If you see that the settings are being managed by ESET, that's how it's supposed to be:

image.png

Please create a demonstration video and also provide logs as follows:
- enable advanced operating system logging in the adv. setup -> Tools -> Diagnostics
- reproduce the issue
- disable logging
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector.
When done. upload the generated archive to a safe location and drop me a personal message with a download link.

Thank you all for your input on this, please I will follow up on each of your thoughts over the weekend and get back to you.

Thank you for your time

HTH

On 11/11/2020 at 12:30 PM, itman said:

To determine if Eset is properly installed in regards to the Win firewall and Defender, open Windows Security Center. Mouse click on Virus & threat protection. On the displayed screen, mouse click on "Manage providers" on the right hand side. What should be displayed next is shown below:

image.png.181f4b1b07dbc2edc9fcbd6ac88274fa.png

Additionally, your posted Eset screen shows a problem with Eset update status. Also additional issues as indicated by the yellow warning indicator to the right of the Eset GUI Home screen. These need to be further explored by you.

I have checked this setting and it is as you have laid out above.

Regards

HTH

On 11/11/2020 at 12:50 PM, itman said:

Do you have any other security software installed with a real-time scanning component such a MalwareBytes?

As far as I know, no I do not

Regards

HTH

On 11/11/2020 at 11:14 PM, Marcos said:

Windows firewall can partially filter certain communication even if the ESET firewall is active. It should not cause performance issues unlike two real-time protection modules being active at a time.

If you see that the settings are being managed by ESET, that's how it's supposed to be:

image.png

- enable advanced operating system logging in the adv. setup -> Tools -> Diagnostics
- reproduce the issue
- disable logging
When done. upload the generated archive to a safe location and drop me a personal message with a download link.

Thank you for the reply.

Please bare with me, I am behind on a ot of things. I have made the requested video and I will follow up with your other request when time allows

Regards

HTH

On 11/11/2020 at 11:14 PM, Marcos said:

image.png

- reproduce the issue
- disable logging

Also where do I find these suggested indicators from your diagram?

Thank you

Regards 

HTH

14 hours ago, hth said:

I have checked this setting and it is as you have laid out above.

Regards

HTH

Then Eset is properly installed.

That is Eset firewall and real-time protection are registered properly in Wndows Security Center. This also means that both Windows firewall and Defender are turned off. As such, this area is not a factor in your sluggish system performance.

• Marcos changed the title to Sluggish Eset Internet Security
  • Administrators

The higher cpu load was caused by scanning wmi during the initial scan. Should the problem persist, please provide fresh advanced OS logs.

• Marcos unlocked this topic