ESET Smart Security Premium has limited direct cloud connectivity

I am having the same issue which freezes me in my remote desktop connection to work computer (and prevents me from reconnected to the remote desktop until some hard boots it).

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, AJTW said:

I am having the same issue which freezes me in my remote desktop connection to work computer (and prevents me from reconnected to the remote desktop until some hard boots it).

LiveGrid connectivity issues cannot affect your remote desktop connection, it must be cause by something else. Does temporarily pausing or disabling the firewall make a difference?

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, degu611 said:

883530456_Kpernyfelvtel(1).thumb.png.ca86f43c620fe19cf7a9cbd269af76f3.png

In your case the DNS server will be different. Please provide iris*.logs as instructed in one of my previous posts above to determine the DNS server that is used.

Anyways, the logs provided by @rich56 helped us determine DNS resolution issues with some DNS servers. Within a couple of hours a new LiveGrid communication module which will add a fallback to Google DNS if resolution from your DNS server fails and which we believe should eventually resolve these issues.

I think I can confirm that is the issue. I just had the popup again and already had my CMD open, here's the result from nslookup:

grafik.png.fe27c3a4f99da5e252a9abdaf9c89450.png

5 minutes later I get a correct response from 1.1.1.1 again.

4 hours ago, Marcos said:

@rich56 please run the following and provide the output:

nslookup avcloud.e5.sk 172.22.80.1

The Require Attention LiveGrid is not accessible was on as I ran this. It was off about 15 minutes prior.

command.png

29 minutes ago, rich56 said:

The Require Attention LiveGrid is not accessible was on as I ran this. It was off about 15 minutes prior.

command.png

I received the same result and I am not having any ongoing LiveGrid connectivity issues. As such, I don't believe this is a local DNS server issue.

I will also note this.

When I perform nslookup avcloud.e5.sk, my IPv6 DNS server is being used for the lookup.

My ISP, AT&T, is sending all network traffic as IPv6 and the router converts IPv4 traffic via DNS64 and NAT64 using ipv4only.arpa; ref.: https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-cheshire-sudn-ipv4only-dot-arpa-08.html .  Of note:

One of the known concerns with DNS64 is that it interferes with DNSSEC. DNSSEC may cryptographically assert that a name has no IPv6 AAAA records, while at the same time DNS64 address synthesis is contradicting this and claiming that IPv6 AAAA records do exist.

Eset_LiveGrid.png.52bb871814182b670f8cbfab992f6640.png

• Administrators

To make it clear - the root cause of the issue is not at ESET's part. We are now just adding a workaround to DNS issues at users or their ISP. Basically the only change in terms of DNS was that before the products communicated with a "com" domain and now they communicate with an "sk" domain.

The plan is to have a new version of the LG communication module with a workaround for most common DNS issues at the client/ISP part on pre-release update servers within today.

• Administrators

Within 1-2 hours the LiveGrid communication module 1089 is going to be available on the pre-release update channel. Please select pre-release updates in the advanced update setup and let us know if the new module works for you.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

Within 1-2 hours the LiveGrid communication module 1089 is going to be available on the pre-release update channel. Please select pre-release updates in the advanced update setup and let us know if the new module works for you.

No problem!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, degu611 said:

No problem!

Can anybody else confirm that the issue is gone after switching to the pre-release update channel?

5 hours ago, Marcos said:

new module works

54 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Can anybody else confirm that the issue is gone after switching to the pre-release update channel?

Made the change as you instructed. Require Attention LiveGrid was on. Download started and installed. After the update install the notification stayed on for about 2 to 3 seconds and then went off.

10 minutes ago, rich56 said:

Made the change as you instructed. Require Attention LiveGrid was on. Download started and installed. After the update install the notification stayed on for about 2 to 3 seconds and then went off.

Maybe spoke to soon....Require Attention just came on again.

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, rich56 said:

Maybe spoke to soon....Require Attention just came on again.

Please provide fresh iris logs (logging can be enabled also by enabling advanced antispam logging under tools -> diagnostics). The module should help unless you have access to Google DNS servers blocked but we'll see what the logs will yield.

38 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Please provide fresh iris logs (logging can be enabled also by enabling advanced antispam logging under tools -> diagnostics). The module should help unless you have access to Google DNS servers blocked but we'll see what the logs will yield.

Here you go Marcos.

iris.dns.0.zip