Can my Wi-Fi be infected ?

Tio

Hey guys so I have 3 laptops and 1 phone , 2 of the laptops I have installed paid version of eset nod32 and we are really careful not to download anything shady apps , nor to go to any shady sites as well) . The third laptop I used to download torrents , watch something online and sometimes I visit adult site(just one reputable one)  I dont really download anything anymore just watch some stuff online). I've had this laptop for 1.5-2 years now , it does regular updates I just checked it win 10 and (its security  windows defender I think it is, under the Virus & threat protection is all green ) I didn't really care if it had viruses or not  but today it crossed my mind that all our devices are connected to the same wi-fi network, now the other 2 laptops have passwords when logging and installed as I mentioned eset nod 32 av, but my phone doesn't  have any av, only password for unlocking. For all the time I had this laptop connected to my wi-fi I didn't notice anything sketchy I was just wondering how possible is it or is it possible and if u guys heard anything like this happen before ? Oh the friend that gave me the laptop isn't really familiar with IT stuff and I know that he usually gave his laptop to reinstall windwos to one of his friensd I dont know if its relevant.  As I said I haven't noticed anything wrong but I just popped in my mind today that we are all on the same wi-fi network , and should I be more careful ( if so how)  with that 3rd laptop, basically for live streams  since I can't really invest in AV for a 3rd laptop. 

Edited by Tio

Appears to me that the laptop that you don't have NOD32 installed on is the one where you perform your riskiest Internet activity on. For that device, I would recommend you install an Eset product on; preferably Internet or Smart Security. For maximum protection, I would recommend Internet or Smart Security be installed on all your laptop devices.

4 hours ago, itman said:

Appears to me that the laptop that you don't have NOD32 installed on is the one where you perform your riskiest Internet activity on. For that device, I would recommend you install an Eset product on; preferably Internet or Smart Security. For maximum protection, I would recommend Internet or Smart Security be installed on all your laptop devices.

I thought that the Internet Security was just an extension to the Nod32 AV , I just saw the difference well I have the license for the normal AV  for almost a year more.  Have you heard of a router being infected that it bypasses the protection ( of my normal Nod32 AV). 

Edited by Tio

• Most Valued Members
4 hours ago, Tio said:

I thought that the Internet Security was just an extension to the Nod32 AV , I just saw the difference well I have the license for the normal AV  for almost a year more.  Have you heard of a router being infected that it bypasses the protection ( of my normal Nod32 AV). 

If your router is compromised then the person inside can hijack your router to redirect your browsing to his desired pages , or have some mining operation on your router or some BOT , can be several things to do after hacking a router

Installing Internet Security can show you if there are some kind of attacks that is coming from inside the network , same also you can reset your router and update it to the latest version (most probably you won't find an update because router companies just don't make that much update for their routers so you buy the newer one)

5 hours ago, Nightowl said:

If your router is compromised then the person inside can hijack your router to redirect your browsing to his desired pages , or have some mining operation on your router or some BOT , can be several things to do after hacking a router

Installing Internet Security can show you if there are some kind of attacks that is coming from inside the network , same also you can reset your router and update it to the latest version (most probably you won't find an update because router companies just don't make that much update for their routers so you buy the newer one)

Well I haven't noticed on neither of the protected computers to have browser issues, I ran Malwarebytes premium on the not protected one it found 3 pups. one was pup.optional.defaultsearch and 2 pup.optional.auslogicsdiskdefrag , couldn't find much info on the defaultsearch one just that it's pup, nothing to worry about ( not sure about that), well Im just gonna reinstall windows on the non-protected one and put Nod32 AV , i have a free one from my internet provider. God I wish I knew the difference between internet security and the normal Nod32 AV. 

• Most Valued Members
4 minutes ago, Tio said:

Well I haven't noticed on neither of the protected computers to have browser issues, I ran Malwarebytes premium on the not protected one it found 3 pups. one was pup.optional.defaultsearch and 2 pup.optional.auslogicsdiskdefrag , couldn't find much info on the defaultsearch one just that it's pup, nothing to worry about ( not sure about that), well Im just gonna reinstall windows on the non-protected one and put Nod32 AV , i have a free one from my internet provider. God I wish I knew the difference between internet security and the normal Nod32 AV. 

You are still protected by NOD32 AV even without the network features , but they are worth having , but still your PC have the Windows Firewall , when you install IS it will be replaced by ESET Firewall ,

The detections from Malwarebytes are probably some kind of toolbars or unwanted programs

PUP stands for Possibly Unwanted Program if I am not mistaken.

• Most Valued Members

Yeah I'd recommend Internet security which has network protection and a firewall. As mentioned Internet security can protect you from network attacks, exploits etc. 

There's also premium if you want the added addition of a password manager and a file encryption utility