ESS7 - new user - beginner instructions

Greetings to everyone here.

I am a new user on your forum, so let me introduce myself:

I'm Max, I come from the Croatian, and use of 04.30.2014 ESET Smart Security 7, on Windows 8.1, 64 bit.

I do not know English well, so I use google translator.

I have a couple of beginner's questions, because so far I have not used ess. I have used so far Norton, Avast, Comodo, Kaspersky and ESET now using for the first time. The installation was standard, and I accepted the use of a live grid and I accepted that I warned of the potentially dangerous applications.

After the installation, and after the first scan, the advanced settings I have changed the following: settings I protect with a password, I confirmed that warns me to dangerous and unsafe applications, and I confirmed that scans all SSL encrypted traffic.

Now I'm really interested, as a beginner, do you have any recommendations for me, what else can we change a system that is safer and more generally any recommendations for beginners.

Nowhere in the advanced settings there is no option for automatic server for updates.

SysInspector we marked the risk furnish these processes can be seen in the figure, although I think those are legitimate processes.

On Internet Explorer 11, when I try to access the eset forum, appears warning that the SSL certificate unsound. when this same approach the eset  forum with google chrome then no amount of warning.

Thank you all for helping novice with ess7 ..   

:)

post-3729-0-91374900-1398955910_thumb.jpg

post-3729-0-42690900-1398955919_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Hello,

we strongly recommend using the default settings.

1, SysInspector is intended for advanced users; it evaluates files based on various criteria. It doesn't serve for looking up  malicious files simply by looking at the risk level. Even legit files may occasionally be evaluated as risky due to their nature.

2, Enabling SSL is intended mainly for advanced users as it may cause some applications to be unable to communicate, e.g. if they don't honor self-signed root certificates in the TRCA certificate store.

Thanks for the reply.

I was a little confused by what warning implausible ssl certificate to get Internet Explorer 11,

and when I use google chrome then no amount of warning.

So, for this is the SysInspector reports do not have to take any action ....

• 2 weeks later...

A few days ago, ess7 for hours could not upgrade to the location of the Croatian. Local support says that the problem was a global level with the servers. I'm interested in whether the eset page or anywhere, can see the current global Eset or server problems, so I'm familiar with it and that I have no doubt at fault on my computer when ess can not upgrade?

Is there some Eset website where it would be possible to see whether

in a region of the world there are problems with updating

or any other problems that affect the operation of ESET products?

I already asked but there was no response, repeat ad ...

• ESET Moderators

Hello Max,

could you please elaborate it a bit?

Updates are being provided by many servers from various locations around the globe so chance of outage of all of them is really minimal.

Hello Peter.

I had a situation that is not the whole day ess7 upgrades, and support local Eset says it was not a problem in my pc but the problem was global. This situation occurred in Croatia. So I wonder whether Eset has a website on which to publish currently ongoing problems of any kind without affecting the operation of ESET products.

AFAIK there is always servers ready to serve you whenever the product pings the servers (or when you do it manually) for updates, so even if 1, 2, or 3 servers is "offline" there is still an army of servers that is ready for business for users around the globe 24/7.

No there's no website with such information. And even if the product fails to update during an attempt for whatever reason, the next hour it will try again and the update will most likely come through then. You can also try manually before then.

Edited by SweX

Hello Swex. Thanks for the replies. 

For me it was not. I may not be well described the event: 

One morning, I started the PC and Eset showed that the anti-virus database from yesterday. 

How does not automatically upgraded to the new virus definitions, a few times I started manually upgrade. Did not work. He kept ESS7 showed that there is a newer version of antivirus signatures. I contacted the local Eset support, and from them I was informed that it is not a problem in my computer but it is a global problem Eset and it will soon be resolved. This situation lasted all day, and only late in the afternoon ESS7 be automatically upgraded to the new version of the virus definitions. 

So it's not doing an upgrade or a local server, and neither ess merged to let another server for updates. In the advanced options settings in ESS7 have nowhere possibility of any automatic or manual selection of servers for updates.

Hello max!

I see. Well, there is no setting you need to change to make the product download VSD's automatically. But do you still have this problem or was it fixed by itself eventually? :)

Next time a hiccup like this happens, a quick fix can be to clear the "update cache" and after that manually press the update button.

This problem was only once a few weeks ago and since then everything is fine. So the whole day ess7 could not be upgraded or access any server for updates. Since then everything is fine.

Alright that's good. If it happens again then try what I said above, if no luck then just post back here. :)