GTA V / Online Crash because of ESET Internet Security or EIS

• Administrators

So disabling protocol filtering didn't help in your case which is in contrary with the findings in the Steam community forum. Disabling SSL filtering will not make any difference either then.

I'd recommend starting Windows in safe mode and:
- renaming "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Drivers" to Drivers_bak
- renaming the following drivers, one at a time:

• C:\Windows\System32\drivers\eamonm.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ehdrv.sys

Let us know renaming which of the drivers resolved the issue.

3 minutes ago, itman said:

Note that a real-time scan exclusion is not the same as a SSL/TLS Protocol scanning exclusion.

Yes, I know. I will do the SSL/TLS Protocol Scanning Exclusion and let you know.

@Marcos It was your questions:

Here is the answer to that: 

(Your answer is below the quote of @itman)

Edited by ajgamer

2 minutes ago, Marcos said:

So disabling protocol filtering didn't help in your case which is in contrary with the findings in the Steam community forum. Disabling SSL filtering will not make any difference either then.

I'd recommend starting Windows in safe mode and:
- renaming "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Drivers" to Drivers_bak
- renaming the following drivers, one at a time:

• C:\Windows\System32\drivers\eamonm.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ehdrv.sys

Let us know renaming which of the drivers resolved the issue.

Okay. Give me sometime, I will report you back once I'm done testing with it.

• Most Valued Members

Only other thing I can think of  if the last thing doesn't work is to disable as much setting wise as possible and launch the game. If the game does launch and has no issues start enabling each setting individually and testing the game and seeing if it still works. 

This might be more time consuming but at least it could help identify which setting is causing the issue

A vast amount of new players are playing GTA V online now because it was given away for free 2 weeks ago on Epic Games Store. So, if the issue is related to ESET's protocol filtering then it must be fixed ASAP.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, SeriousHoax said:

A vast amount of new players are playing GTA V online now because it was given away for free 2 weeks ago on Epic Games Store. So, if the issue is related to ESET's protocol filtering then it must be fixed ASAP.

The OP wrote that disabling protocol filtering didn't make any difference.

56 minutes ago, SeriousHoax said:

Hi, Issue is not with the Protocol Filtering but there is something within the ESET itself which is causing the issue that I can confirm.

Because, I have tried Windows Defender and KasperSky. None of them have been causing the issue as ESET is.

One thing that hasn't been tried is to take Advanced Machine Learning (AML) protection out of consideration. AML was introduced with Eset ver. 13.

Set AML Malware and Suspicious Applications settings for Reporting and Protection to "Cautious" per the below screen shot. The Cautious setting corresponds to no AML protection for these settings.

Eset_AML.thumb.png.0a21f560aa835a7da030c896fc5b356c.png

Edited by itman

There appears to be an Eset network protection component invoked in this issue since there is no issue with EIS in GTA V single-player mode. You can install NOD32 instead of EIS and determine if the multi-player mode issue manifests with it installed. If it does not, at least the EIS at fault component has been identified.

Edited by itman

5 hours ago, Marcos said:

The OP wrote that disabling protocol filtering didn't make any difference.

Sorry, missed that. Nod32 doesn't have this problem btw. Maybe you guys should try to reproduce this issue on your end with ESET IS.

30 minutes ago, itman said:

There appears to be an Eset network protection component invoked in this issue since there is no issue with EIS in GTA V single-player mode. You can install NOD32 instead of EIS and determine if the multi-player mode issue manifests with it installed. If it does not, at least the EIS at fault component has been identified.

I can confirm Nod32 version doesn't have any issue with GTA V Online mode. I also had every ML related option set to aggressive so those are unlikely to cause any trouble. So surely something with Network protection component.

4 hours ago, ajgamer said:

Hi, Issue is not with the Protocol Filtering but there is something within the ESET itself which is causing the issue that I can confirm.

Because, I have tried Windows Defender and KasperSky. None of them have been causing the issue as ESET is.

If you want to keep using ESET then you may use ESET Nod32 for the time being.

Now that it has been established that EIS Network Protection is the source besides the firewall, EIS Network Protection includes both IDS and Botnet protection.

I would start by first disabling Botnet protection and see if that resolves the issue with GTA V multi-player mode. If not, re-enable Botnet protection and disable IDS protection. If IDS when disabled resolves the issue, the issue is with one or more enabled IDS settings.

If disabling Botnet and IDS protection didn't resolve the issue, we are left with the firewall as the source of the issue.

Edited by itman

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, DanielSegun said:

I think there should be an option to whitelist any program (game) within the ESET application interface.

ESET supports exclusions, be it file system (performance & detection) exclusions, IDS exclusions, protocol filtering, certificate exclusions, etc.

The problem isn't with setting program exclusions or the like. That route has been tried w/o sucess.

The problem lies somewhere in Eset Network Protection. In the other GTA V thread on the same issue, disabling the Eset firewall didn't resolve the issue. So the problem is not the Eset firewall but with one of the other network protections. It could be also an issue with one of the Eset drivers used in Network Protection. My prime suspect would be EpfwLwf.sys; Eset's NDIS Lightweight packet filter. -EDIT- Also it appears this driver is only used in Win 7. As such, N/A since the problem reporters have Win 8.1+ installed. That leaves em042_64.dll which is actually a driver "stub" and is Eset's Network Protection driver.

Finally, exception code: 0xc0000005 is technically defined as an Access_Violation.  In others words, GTA V tried to access a memory area it did not have sufficient privileges to do so. It is possible this is an area that Eset has locked down access to.

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members

I did get the game free the other day via epic. If I can I will try and download it sometime this week possibly Wednesday or Thursday and try and see if the same happens and if I can locate the issue

Another possible suspect is the Eset Firewall setting shown in the below screen shot.

Assuming the Eset firewall is set to "Automatic," it will defer to the Win Firewall inbound rules to allow unsolicited inbound traffic; unless that traffic was previously blocked by an existing Eset firewall rule. I assume that when GTA V was installed, it created the necessary Win firewall inbound rules it required. This should however be verified.

If this Eset firewall setting, "Also evaluate rules from Windows Firewall," is disabled, Eset will not permit any inbound traffic that would be allowed under existing Win firewall inbound rules.

Eset_WF.thumb.png.6616235faddd446141c78430121719c5.png

Another possible suspect is Eset's firewall rules regarding use of IGMP protocol; i.e. multicasting.

GTA V uses UDP ports. This leads me to believe IGMP use although I could not find any GTA V source specifically stating this. However, IGMP use in the regard is well know:

- It is used for many one-to-many networking applications like the video streaming and gaming and uses efficient resources.

https://www.careerride.com/Networking-use-of-IGMP-protocol.aspx

By default, the Eset firewall enables the IGMP service and corresponding rules:

• Enable logging into multicast groups through IGMP – Allows incoming/outgoing IGMP and incoming UDP multicast streams, for example video streams generated by applications using the IGMP protocol (Internet Group Management Protocol).

However, Eset only allows inbound IGMP traffic from the Trusted Zone; i.e. local subnet only with Home or Office protection type also enabled for the network adapter.

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members
On 5/23/2020 at 2:46 PM, itman said:

There appears to be a problem with GTA and EIS: https://forum.eset.com/topic/19306-eset-internet-security-problem/ . However, I could not find anyone having a current issue with GTA that was using NOD32.

Your posting references but NOD32 and EIS interchangeably. They are separate products and it appears you are using EIS?

Since it appears the prior above linked issue between EIS and GTA was never resolved in the forum, I suggest you do the same as recommended there. That is, open a support ticket with your local in-country Eset technical support concern.

Did you get this sorted. If not can you tell me how you got the issue on the game. I got the game free via epic and have downloaded and installed tried a solo online play but didn't get any crash but maybe I'm doing it wrong. If I can get the game to crash I can maybe pinpoint the issue

• 2 weeks later...

I've downloaded it not a long time ago and so far I had no problems with it. At first something went wrong and it just didn't start so I decided to try and download it on my phone, as I thought the issue was in my PC (because it is rather old). So I found this site where you can download GTA 5 for android and iOS for free and decided to give it a chance. It turned out pretty well, as now I'm spending all my free time playing gta on my phone :D

Edited by treysi