Eset Internet Security problem

Eset Internet Security and also NOD32 Antivirus (latest version 12.1.34.0) has the same problem. Every time an Eset confirmation window pops up (Allow traffic, etc.), opens the Firefox web browser, but only for a few milliseconds, then closes immediately. You can see only a flash, but I captured it in high frame rate with a screen recorder, and saw the Firefox's icon in the window in few frames. Then if I open Firefox by myself, it say, that it can't restore the previous session. A few versions before this problem never happened.

Other problem is with Internet Security and Grand Theft Auto 5. It's a legal, purchased version without modding. If I want to play online, when Internet Security is installed, I can't play. (only the story mode - offline mode - is working) When the game loading an online session, the game crashing with code 0xc0000005, and exit. It occurs also when I disabled the firewall, and other modules. But if only NOD32 is installed, I can play online without any problem.

Please help. Thank you.

• Administrators

There's no reason for Firefox to be launched by ESET after allowing communication of another application. I'd ask for a demonstration video for a start. You can also generate a Procmon log.

in my case when booting windows, eset internet security starts and Firefox starts for few seconds and some times a screen pops saying what you want  ( to start Firefox in safe mode or addons disabled )

really annoying 

3 hours ago, balint_gazda said:

Other problem is with Internet Security and Grand Theft Auto 5. It's a legal, purchased version without modding. If I want to play online, when Internet Security is installed, I can't play. (only the story mode - offline mode - is working) When the game loading an online session, the game crashing with code 0xc0000005, and exit.

Did you verify that "Gamer Mode" is enabled in Eset's GUI Computer Protection section?

• Administrators

The Procmon log is unusable in the Excel format. Please save it as a genuine pml file. According to the video, it looks like the video player triggers Firefox or a function that uses it to check for a newer version.

I attached the required files (new procmon pml file and a new video). The problem not only occurs in the video player's update function, but also in other softwares (Steam, system processes, etc), and surprisingly when I open the main window of Eset Internet Security as shown on the attached video.

popup2.zip

• Administrators

When the game loading an online session, the game crashing with code 0xc0000005, and exit. It occurs also when I disabled the firewall, and other modules. But if only NOD32 is installed, I can play online without any problem.

There's basically no difference between EIS and EAV than firewall that could affect the game somehow. By disabling the firewall you mean disabling it in the advanced setup or pausing it in gui?

• Administrators

Then try renaming "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\ekrnEpfw.dll" in safe mode.

Did the problem manifest with ESET NOD32 Antivirus too?

12 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Then try renaming "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\ekrnEpfw.dll" in safe mode.

Did the problem manifest with ESET NOD32 Antivirus too? 

Unfortunately the renaming not working.

With EAV there is no problem.

• Most Valued Members
51 minutes ago, balint_gazda said:

Unfortunately the renaming not working.

With EAV there is no problem.

When you said renaming did not work - do you mean it didn't allow you to rename or it did but didn't fix the issue. If it didn't allow you to rename it make sure you are in safe mode.

Have you looked in the firewall troubleshoot wizard found in setup - network protection - see if anything is being blocked. In the network protection - connected networks is it set to a home network? Probably won't be what is causing the issue but I had a problem a while back with things being blocked because it was set to a public network instead of a home network.

The only other thing I can suggest is disabling parts one by one and each time you have disabled one try the game. This may help to identify the issue e.g. if you disable one part and the game works you will know that that part is partly the issue. Just remember to enable them later for security

Edited by peteyt

35 minutes ago, peteyt said:

When you said renaming did not work - do you mean it didn't allow you to rename or it did but didn't fix the issue. If it didn't allow you to rename it make sure you are in safe mode.

Have you looked in the firewall troubleshoot wizard found in setup - network protection - see if anything is being blocked. In the network protection - connected networks is it set to a home network? Probably won't be what is causing the issue but I had a problem a while back with things being blocked because it was set to a public network instead of a home network.

The only other thing I can suggest is disabling parts one by one and each time you have disabled one try the game. This may help to identify the issue e.g. if you disable one part and the game works you will know that that part is partly the issue. Just remember to enable them later for security

I could rename the file, and after restart the firewall module disappeared from GUI. Then I ran the game without the firewall module, but still crashed.

• Most Valued Members
2 minutes ago, balint_gazda said:

I could rename the file, and after restart the firewall module disappeared from GUI. Then I ran the game without the firewall module, but still crashed.

Try disabling a few things then to see if something else of Esets could be blocking it. 

Also are you on pre-release updates which is generally recommended - Hit f5 - go to update and then profiles and then the update part in there. In the update type bit try it with pre-release selected - sometimes bugs get fixed but not always rolled out straight away to the main bit.  However I'd also recommend disabling parts to see if you can find out exactly what part of eset could be blocking it

• Administrators

I'd suggest repeating the test again, ie. uninstall EIS and try to reproduce the error.

If the error goes away and returns after installing EIS from scratch, try the following, one at a time and then check if the issue is gone:
- disable webcam protection integration in the advanced setup
- start Windows in safe mode, rename C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Drivers to C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Drivers_bak
- rename the following drivers in safe mode, one at a time:
1, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\eamonm.sys
2, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ehdrv.sys

At the very end of the test, remember to rename C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Drivers_bak back to C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Drivers in safe mode.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2019 at 4:54 PM, Marcos said:

I'd suggest repeating the test again, ie. uninstall EIS and try to reproduce the error.

If the error goes away and returns after installing EIS from scratch, try the following, one at a time and then check if the issue is gone:
- disable webcam protection integration in the advanced setup
- start Windows in safe mode, rename C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Drivers to C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Drivers_bak
- rename the following drivers in safe mode, one at a time:
1, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\eamonm.sys
2, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ehdrv.sys

At the very end of the test, remember to rename C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Drivers_bak back to C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Drivers in safe mode.

Here are the test results:

peteyt's idea (pre-release update): Firefox popup, GTA online fail

Disable webcam: Firefox popup, GTA online fail

Renaming: Firefox popup, GTA online fail

Uninstall EIS: no Firefox popup, GTA online works

Install latest EIS without updating: no Firefox popup, GTA online works

Updated EIS: Firefox popup, GTA online fail

On 4/19/2019 at 12:49 PM, balint_gazda said:

Every time an Eset confirmation window pops up (Allow traffic, etc.), opens the Firefox web browser, but only for a few milliseconds.

Other problem is with Internet Security and Grand Theft Auto 5. Its crashing with code 0xc0000005, and exit. It occurs also when I disabled the firewall, and other modules.

What kind of network connection do you use? Is it established before programs check for updates? If using VPN service, which one? What's your Windows version?

As to Firefox issue, try this: 
- set MS Edge as Default Browser in Windows Settings. Does the issue remain?
- Refresh Firefox, then set it Default Browser again. Was the issue fixed?

As to Grand Theft Auto 5 error, Eset modules, set by you Firewall rules, or Registry settings may be blocking or conflicting with certain game files or traffic for some reason. Try multiple solutions listed in Exception code: 0xc0000005 Crash, whitelist mentioned files or folders in several Eset Advanced Settings sections (Network protection, Internet protection, Computer protection), reset Firewall rules, and report back results.

Edited by zamar27

13 hours ago, zamar27 said:

What kind of network connection do you use? Is it established before programs check for updates? If using VPN service, which one? What's your Windows version?

As to Firefox issue, try this: 
- set MS Edge as Default Browser in Windows Settings. Does the issue remain?
- Refresh Firefox, then set it Default Browser again. Was the issue fixed?

As to Grand Theft Auto 5 error, Eset modules, set by you Firewall rules, or Registry settings may be blocking or conflicting with certain game files or traffic for some reason. Try multiple solutions listed in Exception code: 0xc0000005 Crash, whitelist mentioned files or folders in several Eset Advanced Settings sections (Network protection, Internet protection, Computer protection), reset Firewall rules, and report back results.

I use normal PPPOE internet over a router, with Windows 8.1.

Windows 8.1 doesn't contain Edge, so I made Chrome as default browser. The EIS still pops up Firefox.

For GTA I tried all fixes, (my version is not Steam version, so a lot of fix is not applicable) but as I wrote before, the problem only exists, when an updated EIS is installed. Check my test results.

Try refreshing Firefox. Something in its Profile might be wrong to cause such behavior regardless which program launches it.

On 5/11/2019 at 3:52 PM, zamar27 said:

Try refreshing Firefox. Something in its Profile might be wrong to cause such behavior regardless which program launches it.

Thanks for your advice. As I noticed it fixed the Firefox popup problem.

Unfortunately GTA still not works.