ESET CPU consumption and Explorer.exe issues

In the last week or so ESET has started consuming much more CPU than normal.  It's rated "very high" in task manager and uses ~15% of CPU all the time - even when I'm doing nothing more than writing an email in Outlook.  I say outlook, but after a reboot 30 minutes ago outlook still hasn't started & it's stuck on the eset plugin.

My machine is less than a year old Xeon, CPU up to 4Ghz, SSD disks and 32Gb ram - basically it's quick enough and shouldn't be eaten by ESet like this.  Eset is the only task that's running hot on my machine - I've rebooted it numerous times to try and deal with eset.  I've re-installed eset too with no effect.  Eset has the cpu running flat out too.

I can't open explorer.exe.  Can't reach system properties.  At times the windows key simply stops working.  Sometimes eset does calm down to ~5% CPU and then my desktop re-draws a number of times and I can work again.  As soon as I open a document eset jumps back to 15% cpu and the desktop is unresponsive - even the keyboard went this morning in Excel.  There are some web sites that when accessed eset jumps in, doesn't open the banking protection, but hangs chrome completely (my bank - not some tin pot site).  Basically I can barely work on the machine.

Before I cancel my contract and remove eset for good can anyone help me out, or is there a fix/update coming that will deal with this?

• Administrators

With ESET v13.0 or 13.1 installed, please carry on as follows:
- enable advanced operating system logging in the adv. setup -> tools -> diagnostics
- reproduce the issue
- stop logging
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector.

If the generated archive is relatively small, you can upload it here. Otherwise upload it to a safe location and drop me a private message with a download link.

Hi,

Thanks for the note.  I spent over 3 hours on this trying to get the logs.  Setting the logging level caused ESET to hang most of the time unless I reboot and do it as the first action - hit and miss at best.  Clearing the log level was the same.  Running the log collector never completed - it hung trying to obtain the eset product configuration.  In all I've lost nearly a days work on this issue, never mind the slowness all last week.

In the end, and actually in an attempt to get any logs to you, I've un-installed eset (in safe mode while risking my defined nic's !!) because the uninstaller also crashed.  Of course I can't then collect the logs after the removal, but lets face it I was getting nowhere at all.

So now I have Windows Defender and an extremely fast machine, fans have stopped trying to blow 90 litres of air per second too.

It will be some time, if ever, that I try eset again.  Most likely I'll cancel my license.  I have used eset for over 10 years happily, but I'm afraid releasing software that acts like a DoS attack just isn't on - sorry (ok, I'm overplaying it, but killing my machine stops me working & that's DoS in principal).

Thanks for your suggestion and offer to help though - just couldn't get there in the end & I don't have time to spend solving other peoples s/w issues - I have my own to write.

Thanks

• Administrators

I'm sorry to hear that. It'd be interesting to know if the issue occurs right after installation without update and with default settings. It could help determine the cause of the issue if we could get a dump of active memory created manually as per https://support.eset.com/en/kb380-how-do-i-generate-a-memory-dump-manually at the point when the issue occurs.

Hello,

I have the same syptom than explain higher.

Nod32 take a lot of cpu ime. Action on my computer take sometime a lot of time (explorer, mstsc).

I m trying to sending you the log

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Cedric said:

the problem seems to come from the eset plugin in outlook. No more problem when i disable it.

Here is the log :)

How many messages do you have roughly in the inbox folder? Does enabling this option make a difference? Did the issue start manifest right after installing ESET or suddenly after a longer time?

image.png

37 042 mails in my inbox.

It happen right after configuring my account in outlook.

Seems to be better with activating the option "Disable checking upon inbox content change"

I will get back to you if it happens again with the option.

Regards,

Hello,

Unfortunatly the problem appear again this morning a few time after i boot my computer.

The option "Disable checking upon inbox content change" is still enable.

I unable the outlook plugin to come back to a stable state.

• Administrators

It's a good practice not to keep all email in inbox but use folders. You could try creating a new folder and archive older messages there.

After installation or adding an account in Outlook, the plug-in goes through all messages in inbox and writes information about the scan into each message which is probably what takes long. However, I would not expect it to take longer than dozens of minutes.

I have had to remove Internet security from my laptop due to:

1. Issues with Outlook - Office 365 - hangs loading the Eset add-in

2. Windows explorer crashing - this is the worst issue. It stops me from accessing files for long periods of time

3. High CPU usage (16%) which doesn't stop for long periods after start up

I am a very long time user and supporter of Eset products so I am sure this will be resolved (It is still working ok on my other PC and laptop) unfortunately however it has completly broken my work laptop.

This started within the last week to 2 weeks not sure exactly when.

I know Eset will want logs etc. but I just don't have time now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

1, This will require further troubleshooting with your local ESET distributor. Please raise a support ticket.

2, Does the issue actually go away after temporarily uninstalling ESET and starts manifesting right after installing the latest version with default settings?

3, Please enable advanced operating system logging under Tools -> Diagnostics, reproduce the issue, stop logging and then provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector as well as C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\Diagnostics\EsetPerf.etl.

Also we kindly ask you to create a new topic per issue. Post in existing topics only if you are having the very same issue as discussed in the topic.

• 1 year later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello @KarlP@Cedricand @MrSmith

the new Outlook plugin designed to resolve issues reported is available in BETA, details are available at https://forum.eset.com/topic/31777-new-outlook-plugin-beta/

If possible can you please try how it behaves with it and let us know?

Thank you, Peter