New Outlook plugin BETA

• ESET Moderators

We are pleased to announce availability of completely reworked Outlook plugin for ESET Endpoint Security and ESET Endpoint Antivirus for Windows platform.

The new plugin was designed to:

• Resolve synchronization issues
  • Conflicts with other Outlook plugins 
  • Significantly improve the performance 

The plugin utilizes a standalone database for scan result recording to reduce mail-body modifications to absolute minimum, which should fix most of the synchronization problems and conflicts reported by Outlook. On top of this, we have optimized the scanning, where the email is inspected without unnecessary fragmentation, as it is now sent to be processed in one piece, including all session handling actions. We have also deprecated all three dynamic libraries with a single one, that was almost completely rewritten and has a better logging capability. Furthermore we have converged all anti-spam lists, added detection for 3rd-party plugins, introduced scanning optimizations so that Outlook remains responsive for the user, and many more improvements.

The build is highly stable in our testing environment so we recommend to deploy it to selected workstations, from which the issues were reported in the past to see how it behaves in real environment and usage.

Since this is not a regular BETA, we would only suggest to plan the deployment for users, who can either give constructive feedback based on either technical or day-to-day observation, or make sure, that assistance to these users can be provided by informed administrator(s). No additional technical skills are needed and we only want to point this out, that the willingness to give feedback, even if everything works hassle-free, to cooperate if potential problems will show up, is our primary intention.

In case you need additional license for this BETA, let us know.

The installation binaries (both .msi and .exe for x64, ARM64 and x32 Widows editions) are available at https://forum.eset.com/files/category/8-outlook-plugin-beta/ 

Note: The BETA build is based on feature release 9.1, but it does not contain new features which will be available in it, except the new Outlook plugin.

if any issues will arise, we will need the user to enable diagnostic logging of this component whenever needed (see screen below), run Outlook (or other email client), wait for the issue to demonstrate, quit Outlook and disable diagnostic logging to avoid extensive log-recording for a longer time. The resulting log will be stored under C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\Diagnostics\MailPlugins.etlLogging.png

We may assure you, that our support and technology teams will do their best to assist you with any possible issue with it.

You may share your experience with it, questions and report issues as replies to this topic.

As usually our ESET BETA program agreement applies and by downloading and the BETA you express your agreement with it https://forum.eset.com/files/file/58-eset-beta-program-agreement/

We are looking forward to your feedback.

Peter on behalf of the teams responsible

Hello Peter, I maybe able to test this on a virtual machine, non production.

Can you confirm that internal ESET testing has tested this with an office365 subscription using Office365 version of office?

Regards,

Craig

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

@Craig

On 3/22/2022 at 2:58 PM, CraigC said:

Can you confirm that internal ESET testing has tested this with an office365 subscription using Office365 version of office?

Yes I can confirm.

On 3/22/2022 at 4:35 PM, Ben Cullen said:

We have recently moved half a dozen users to cached mode and they are experiencing, Sync issues an slow syncing, this could be the answer  

Yes I would definitely recommend you to deploy it at leas on few systems affected.

In case of issues with the BETA, we (ESET HQ TechSupport) will assist you.

Peter

Hello @Peter Randziak,

I installed the beta version yesterday on several computers.
Now I have only the following problem in Outlook:
A shared mailbox now creates multiple folders called Junk-Emailx (X is a number),
previously this was not the case. Is this error already known? And if so, what can you do about it?

• ESET Moderators

Hello @Alexander Szewczyk,

are you able to reproduce the issue on demand i.e. does it happen after you remove them and start the Outlook again? 

If yes, can you please:

1. Delete the additional Junk email folders (to make the issue easier to spot)
  2. Quit Outlook
  3. Enable diagnostic logging for Email client protection as shown on the screenshot and confirm
  4. Logging.png.718f054bfc7d8829d28731069052
  5. run Outlook and wait for the issue to demonstrate
  6. quit Outlook
  7. disable diagnostic logging to avoid extensive log-recording for a longer time.
  8. The resulting log will be stored under C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\Diagnostics\MailPlugins.etl
  9. Provide me with the log generated and info from which shared mailboxes the issue occurred to check it with our dev team.

Thank you, Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I installed this new ESET BETA version on 04/04/22 on a users system to attempt to fix the accumulation of sync logs in Outlook. I've followed up with the user today and was advised that the sync logs are still being stored in Outlook. Is there any other settings we must adjust to get this to work?

Thanks.

• ESET Moderators

Hello @GR8Metal,

thank you for your report.

This should work out of the box with the new plugin.

Can you please provide me with the log capturing the issue as I requested above (on March 31) to check with the dev team?

Peter

9 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @GR8Metal,

thank you for your report.

This should work out of the box with the new plugin.

Can you please provide me with the log capturing the issue as I requested above (on March 31) to check with the dev team?

Peter

No problem. Will send that through when I can. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 2:58 PM, CraigC said:

Hello Peter, I maybe able to test this on a virtual machine, non production.

Regards,

Craig

Hello Craig,

did you test new plugin? Do you have ATP with dynamic delivery in your Office 365 tenant?

Thanks

Edited by eclipse79

Hello! We are ESET Business customers who have been riddled with sync errors. I'm very happy to see that you guys made such progress on this topic! :)

I've installed the beta, but I can't figure out how to activate it. I've tried using both our offline key and attempted to push our usual Activation task from our PROTECT server, but it still remains not activated. What do you recommend?

-Ryan

• ESET Moderators

Hello @RClegg,

thank you for your positive feedback, hopefully it will resolve the sync issues for you.

If not, let us know for sure so we can check it.

Have you used a license with appropriate product tier?

I would try to activate it locally using the license key.

If that won't work, what error code have you received?

Peter

Thanks for the prompt response!

We have a ESET PROTECT Essential On-Prem (ESET Endpoint Protection Standard) that is valid until 22/01/2023. When attempting to activate locally, we receive the error "Activation Failed - License and product do not match Error Code ACT.7". What do you recommend?

1 hour ago, RClegg said:

Thanks for the prompt response!

We have a ESET PROTECT Essential On-Prem (ESET Endpoint Protection Standard) that is valid until 22/01/2023. When attempting to activate locally, we receive the error "Activation Failed - License and product do not match Error Code ACT.7". What do you recommend?

I think I figured it out; we are running "PROTECT", while you specified that this is for "Endpoint Security" and "Endpoint Antivirus". Is the Outlook Plugin the same for all three? What are the plans for deploying this to the PROTECT family?

If I deploy this beta to an affected workstation for testing, is it a simple process to roll back using ERA ?

I currently am affected using EEA 9.0.2046.0

Thanks

• ESET Moderators
17 hours ago, RClegg said:

I think I figured it out; we are running "PROTECT", while you specified that this is for "Endpoint Security" and "Endpoint Antivirus". Is the Outlook Plugin the same for all three? What are the plans for deploying this to the PROTECT family?

The new Outlook plugin is present in both ESET Endpoint Security i.e. EES and ESET Endpoint Antivirus i.e. EEA.

The Endpoints 9.1 with the new Outlook plugin will be released later as standard products.

Peter

• ESET Moderators
3 hours ago, JonBastyan said:

We are seeing a large number of items in the Sync Issues folder. How do we obtain/deploy the beta verison of this add-in/plugin?

Thanks

Hello @JonBastyan

the installation packages are available at https://forum.eset.com/files/category/8-outlook-plugin-beta/ for the BETA testing.

Peter

• ESET Moderators
10 minutes ago, dhawkshaw said:

f I deploy this beta to an affected workstation for testing, is it a simple process to roll back using ERA ?

I currently am affected using EEA 9.0.2046.0

Hello @dhawkshaw,

the products does not support direct downgrade i.e. going to a lower version than installed so the roll back would require uninstallation and following installation of the stable version.

Once the 9.1 will be released as stable version, you may upgrade to it...

Peter

1 hour ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @dhawkshaw,

the products does not support direct downgrade i.e. going to a lower version than installed so the roll back would require uninstallation and following installation of the stable version.

Once the 9.1 will be released as stable version, you may upgrade to it...

Peter

Thanks @Peter Randziak, I've installed the beta alongside Microsoft 365 Apps for business and will report anything interesting ...

3 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

The new Outlook plugin is present in both ESET Endpoint Security i.e. EES and ESET Endpoint Antivirus i.e. EEA.

The Endpoints 9.1 with the new Outlook plugin will be released later as standard products.

Peter

Wonderful! Do you have a vague estimate for when the 9.1 Endpoints will be released? We are very excited to finally have a solution to this issue! Some of our Customer Service staff's Outlook Sync Issues folders are at a whopping 120,000 messages 😮

• ESET Moderators
20 hours ago, RClegg said:

Wonderful! Do you have a vague estimate for when the 9.1 Endpoints will be released? We are very excited to finally have a solution to this issue! Some of our Customer Service staff's Outlook Sync Issues folders are at a whopping 120,000 messages 😮

Well we have an estimate, but we shouldn't disclose such info publicly...

It is expected during the summer, but don't tall anyone 😉 

Peter

On 4/29/2022 at 7:02 AM, Peter Randziak said:

Well we have an estimate, but we shouldn't disclose such info publicly...

It is expected during the summer, but don't tall anyone 😉 

Peter

Awesome! Thanks!!!

Following up on my experiences with this beta plugin. I installed it on two of my workstations back on the 28th, and I'm happy to report that so far, I've had no sync issues, nor any other issues since.

I'm looking forward to it coming out of beta so that I can update all our EEA instances.

Keep up the good work !