(Internet Security) Advertising on desktop eventhough marketing switch is set.

leen

(Eset internet security user)

Dear friends,

just today i recieved advertising for smart security upgrading on my desktop.

Disable marketing is set in settings. 

This is a bug?

Must say im allergic for this kind of practices if they are intendend.

have a great day!

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, leen said:

(Eset internet security user)

Dear friends,

just today i recieved advertising for smart security upgrading on my desktop.

Disable marketing is set in settings. 

This is a bug?

Must say im allergic for this kind of practices if they are intendend.

have a great day!

Have you imported settings? I remember a user having an issue like this when he had imported settings. If I remember correctly the marketing setting doesn't get imported but will say it is disabled because it was disabled on the original machine. You need to enable it and then disable it and that should fix it

Marcos thanks for your reply.

... No alas, i did not make a screenshot, it was a common Eset rectangle in the right lower corner, the usual place for notifications.

It was a short advert about upgrading to smart security, i noticed as i had seen the same adverts in my email, wich made me consider the need for smart security but in don't need those extra's.

Think if it's not a common fault we let it be, nothing occured since. Thanks.

Peteyt, Thank you for your reply too!

.. Yes, most probably but not 100% sure, So could well be.

Alas no scenario te be easily recreatable, Perhaps the best thing is to keep it in mind for future reference. 

But the contribution stands , thank you for that.

If it reoccurs it will be a bug to report.

I had the twitch on my eye triggered in remembrance off all  the software that has gone down on us, as in - betrayed their users-and i reall appreciate Eset sofar so i was like calling out to you all inhere paniking. hehehe.

so far so good.

This topic might as well close as solved, it probably has low value.

Edited by leen
Grammar/typo's

• Administrators

Please provide me with the following stuff for investigation:
- logs collected with ESET Log Collector
- the content of the "C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\IPM" folder

Unfortunately you didn't mention what ESET product you have. If ESET NOD32 Antivirus, then there is actually a good reason to upgrade at least to ESET Internet Security not because of features like Anti-Theft, Antispam, Parental Control or firewall but mainly because of the Network attack protection which can:
- protect your system from RDP, SMB, SQL,...bruteforce attacks (RDP bruteforce attacks are nowadays a common infection vector exploited by attackers to get in, disable AV and run ransomware)
- Botnet protection which is a part of it can detect and block malicious communication of malware acting as a bot (useful especially in case of new malware not recognized by other scanners yet in case it manages it to run start to communicate with other bots)

Marcos, thanks for your reply.

Its about internet security (Wich is and was stated in the topictitle*wink)

Thanks for your product and productfeatures information, but reasons to upgrade are not our issue.

I selected the "No marketing switch" that is the point of this topic, as i don't want (any) software to overrule my settings concerning advertising and certainly not my security software and ..on my desktop. How intrusive can one get it? Given time i would need an adblocker for my internal processes 😃

Had to edit my message alas.

Our IT advisor just replyed me telling me im not allowed to provide information on this forum and we should contact Eset customer support directly.

Have a good Sunday and thanks again!

This topic may be deleted, its solved.

Edited by leen
Topic solved.

• Most Valued Members
9 hours ago, leen said:

Marcos, thanks for your reply.

Its about internet security (Wich is and was stated in the topictitle*wink)

Thanks for your product and productfeatures information, but reasons to upgrade are not our issue.

I selected the "No marketing switch" that is the point of this topic, as i don't want (any) software to overrule my settings concerning advertising and certainly not my security software and ..on my desktop. How intrusive can one get it? Given time i would need an adblocker for my internal processes 😃

Had to edit my message alas.

Our IT advisor just replyed me telling me im not allowed to provide information on this forum and we should contact Eset customer support directly.

Have a good Sunday and thanks again!

This topic may be deleted, its solved.

Just a quick note. Opening a ticket is probably the best solution as it can be tracked better but if you ever need to post an attachment on the forums and are worried about privacy, only the moderators can see those attachments on here.

Hope they can get to the bottom of this for you