My eset icon has disappeared from the Windows 7 notification area

Ish51

Which makes it very hard to do things like "pause" protection, etc.
Has anyone experienced this?

The product has become so user-unfriendly that I am on the verge of trashing it - even with 11 months left on my subscription.
They lost pole position years ago - but now hardly seem to care to stay in the field  and it is frustrating for a log term user

Are you stating that the Eset icon in not present on the desktop toolbar? If so, verify that the icon is not hidden; i.e. mouse click on the up arrowhead symbol on the desktop toolbar.  If hidden, mouse drag the Eset icon to the desktop toolbar.

Edited by itman

I also have this issue with my laptop that is still running Windows 7. The icon is there about 50% of the time. Other times I have no idea where it went. Sometimes a reboot will bring it back. Other times nothing will. I love Eset and have been using it for years. But this issue is extremely annoying. Please fix it. I have also verified that the icon is not hidden.

Edited by ram1220

• Most Valued Members
11 hours ago, Ish51 said:

Which makes it very hard to do things like "pause" protection, etc.
Has anyone experienced this?

The product has become so user-unfriendly that I am on the verge of trashing it - even with 11 months left on my subscription.
They lost pole position years ago - but now hardly seem to care to stay in the field  and it is frustrating for a log term user

I've had issues with the Eset tray icon from time to time as well on my Windows 7 Pro system. I created a shortcut to C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\eguiProxy.exe which always resolves the issue until it again decides not to show. When running the shortcut it also opens the GUI. Closing the GUI leaves the Icon. Oddly I have never had the issue on my Windows 7 Home Premium system.

It doesn't happen often, maybe once every couple of months or so. I really haven't made any effort to track it accurately nor any serious attempt to figure out why it does what it does. I don't find it to be that big of a deal. After all the protection is always running just occasionally not the proxy Icon. But that's just me. 

I've been using Eset products since v3.x  and it's going to have to be a way bigger issue then an Icon not showing up from time to time for me to think about making a change. I have never had any infections of any type so it's difficult to argue with success. That is what's most important to me.

In the past, every few years I looked around and tried different products. For one reason or another I found them unacceptable. I always ended up restoring my backup image and renewing Eset. I don't even bother with that time wasting exercise any more.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

The ESET icon in the system tray notification area should be appearing automatically after the system starts.  If it isn't, it could be that the program is getting disabled/prevented from being launched for some reason.  I have seen this in the distant past with various system cleaning/tweaking/performance utilities, but do not recall seeing it recently.

Please contact your legal ESET distributor or office and open a ticket with them, as a support engineer will need to examine your system further to determine what action is blocking the ESET user interface icon from populating in the system tray notification area.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky