ESET v12.2.29 bug?

sky7

Hello,

Windows (v1809 build: 17763.737) reports that Windows Defender and ESET Security are both turned off every time since I upgraded to v12.2.29
Is this known issue?

403970312_esetisturnedoff.thumb.jpg.0b19f522051e5b2722de0c70718a9a10.jpg

Edited by sky7

• Administrators

Does the notification really show up after each restart? Try restarting Windows by running "shutdown -r -t 0" twice and let us know if it really pops up each time the system starts. Also please provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector.

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Is anyone from Eset going to get us answers?

Try the newer version of EIS when available later this week or by the beginning of the following one.

8 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Didn't work. Still getting the same notification as befor.

Not really surprised to hear this. I never had the issue with the Win Security Center popup notification; prior to 12.2.29 or with 12.2.29 installed.

Try running the Win 10 image integrity utility from an admin level command prompt window at see if that helps:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Note that this will run for some time. Also, an additional OS verification utility you can run from admin level command prompt window is:

sfc /scannow

This will check the integrity of all OS system files. This also runs for some time.

10 hours ago, itman said:

Not really surprised to hear this. I never had the issue with the Win Security Center popup notification; prior to 12.2.29 or with 12.2.29 installed.

Try running the Win 10 image integrity utility from an admin level command prompt window at see if that helps:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Note that this will run for some time. Also, an additional OS verification utility you can run from admin level command prompt window is:

sfc /scannow

This will check the integrity of all OS system files. This also runs for some time.

Nope, doesn't work. I tried these steps twice, no joy. I only get this notification with Eset installed, no other security app. It's clearly a bug in Eset. Please fix.

5 hours ago, Sammo said:

Nope, doesn't work. I tried these steps twice, no joy. I only get this notification with Eset installed, no other security app. It's clearly a bug in Eset. Please fix.

What ver. of Win 10 are you running?

If this was a "bug" per se, everyone with Eset 12.2.29 installed would be receiving the Windows Security Center notification which is clearly not the case. This leads me to believe that on select Win 10 installations, there is something not right with Security Center's initialization processing at boot time.

Using Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services, make sure the Security Center service Startup type is set to Automatic(Delayed Start) as shown in the below screen shot. Additionally noted per the description given is that this service is heavily dependent upon COM for third party AV and firewall registration. If that Win feature is corrupted in some way, that also could be the problem.

Win_Sec_Ctr.thumb.png.cab6d1ccb7f03466ff88169d70f1458b.png

Edited by itman

6 hours ago, itman said:

What ver. of Win 10 are you running?

If this was a "bug" per se, everyone with Eset 12.2.29 installed would be receiving the Windows Security Center notification which is clearly not the case. This leads me to believe that on select Win 10 installations, there is something not right with Security Center's initialization processing at boot time.

Using Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services, make sure the Security Center service Startup type is set to Automatic(Delayed Start) as shown in the below screen shot. Additionally noted per the description given is that this service is heavily dependent upon COM for third party AV and firewall registration. If that Win feature is corrupted in some way, that also could be the problem.

Win_Sec_Ctr.thumb.png.cab6d1ccb7f03466ff88169d70f1458b.png

I have the latest Windows  version 64 bit. See attachments. Everything is as it should be. Also, I am not the only one here that has this exact same issue.

Windows-services.png

Windows-specs.png

1 hour ago, Sammo said:

Also, I am not the only one here that has this exact same issue.

Based on the responses to date on everyone who has installed ver. 12.2.30, you do seem to be the only one still having an issue.

You might try installing ver. 12.2.30 stand alone after uninstalling ver. 12.2.29. Make sure you export Eset settings first if you have made customized settings and/or rules. You can then import those after 12.2.30 is installed.

Edited by itman

1 hour ago, itman said:

Based on the responses to date on everyone who has installed ver. 12.2.30, you do seem to be the only one still having an issue.

You might try installing ver. 12.2.30 stand alone after uninstalling ver. 12.2.29. Make sure you export Eset settings first if you have made customized settings and/or rules. You can then import those after 12.2.30 is installed.

Man, I am one unhappy camper right now. I uninstalled Eset, rebooted and reinstalled it. Now I am totally unable to activate it at all. I keep getting erro code ACT.33. I have 2 1/2 years left on my license I purchased from Amazon. I need this fixed ASAP!

• Administrators

I'm afraid you fell a victim of fraud; somebody sold you a license that was restricted to a particular country. We strongly recommend purchasing a license only from authorized sellers and avoid purchasing from Amazon, ebay, etc. Even according to EULA, the license is non-transferable to 3rd party subjects.

The Google search featured page for Amazon in regards to EIS also appears to have been removed: https://www.amazon.com/ESET-Internet-Security-Subscription-Keycard/dp/B01N011B6S .

If you bought the license directly from Amazon, you might be able to get your money back. If bought from one of their resellers, that's a different story.

Also what would be helpful for future reference is if Eset clarified how to identify a country restricted license key. If I am correct, does not the first three characters of the license key contain the country abbreviation; e.g. USA for the United States?

Edited by itman

45 minutes ago, Marcos said:

I'm afraid you fell a victim of fraud; somebody sold you a license that was restricted to a particular country.

There is one thing I am confused about here.

I assume that license was used initially a while back to install EIS. As such, an Eset account would have been established on the Eset registration servers reflecting this license. The OP would have also received an e-mail confirmation. All the above indicates the license was accepted as valid at that time?

Edited by itman

5 hours ago, itman said:

There is one thing I am confused about here.

I assume that license was used initially a while back to install EIS. As such, an Eset account would have been established on the Eset registration servers reflecting this license. The OP would have also received an e-mail confirmation. All the above indicates the license was accepted as valid at that time?

Yes, the license was accepted several months back when I first installed it and again when I reinstalled it three months ago.

2 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Yes, the license was accepted several months back when I first installed it

Did you received a confirmation e-mail from Eset?

• Administrators

I was unable to find any license registered to your forum's registration email. Please post your public license ID (PLID) or drop me a personal message with your license key or license registration email.

Since I happened to come across this, it also could be a factor with anyone still having Eset registration issues with Windows Security center:

Warning

You should not attempt to disable, stop, or modify any of the associated services used by Windows Defender AV, Microsoft Defender ATP, or the Windows Security app.

This includes the wscsvc, SecurityHealthService, MsSense, Sense, WinDefend, or MsMpEng services and process. Manually modifying these services can cause severe instability on your endpoints and open your network to infections and attacks.

It can also cause problems when using third-party antivirus apps and how their information is displayed in the Windows Security app.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/windows-defender-antivirus/windows-defender-antivirus-compatibility

Edited by itman

I had the same problem on 3 machines. All of them were Win 10 x64 1903 with latest fixes. Two of them use ESET NOD32 12.2.29.0 one uses McAfee. All the machines run Win 10 1903 with latest fixes and all of them reported that Defender and the installed AV (ESET or McAfee) were disabled at startup. So I think itman gave the right hint to what is happening.

In my case I looked at the Services. The blue box including the red box shows how it looks like when everything works. In my case the problem was caused by the service in the red box that had Status running and the Startup Type was set to Automatic. I have no idea when it happened and how it came to this.  

image.thumb.png.814748f5b9bcec64e9fbcff2d6bf1c26.png

While trying to fix the problem I used a small program to view and change some settings of Windows.  If anyone is interested in this program you can get it here for free https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

The section Windows Defender and Microsoft SpyNet is the one I was interested in. The red box shows how it should correctly be set. In my case the switch showed green color and was set to the right (like the above switches). I switched it back to what is shown in the red box and performed a shutdown and power on. The services then looked like above and the message did no longer come up. 

image.png.7147589db57e370981b5855b09b5011c.png

I did this change a few days ago to make sure it works at least for me bevor posting what I did. Maybe this might help someone, at least it could give a hint to someone who is more knowledgeable than me. There also should be a setting somewhere in Windows that does what the program does but I don't know where. If anyone knows where to find it there is no need to use the program.