Which settings to get Dropbox working normally ?

Samoréen

• Administrators

I've never had any issue with syncing Dropbox. Did ESET detect something while you were attempting to sync ?

Hi Marcos,

In the SSL protocol filtering section, if I select "Always scan SSL protocol", the Dropbox tray icon applet says nothing but syncing never starts. If I select "Ask about non-visited sites" and acknowledge each certificate as described in the page mentioned above, Dropbox says "Unable to make a secure connection". I have also excluded dropbox.exe in Protocol Filtering | Excluded applications. This didn't help.

The only way to have Dropbox syncing is to select "Do not scan SSL protocol".

Thanks.

if I select "Always scan SSL protocol", the Dropbox tray icon applet says nothing but syncing never starts.

To be more accurate:

If I copy a couple of files to a Dropbox folder in Windows Explorer, Dropbox detects that there are files to upload to the Dropbox server and the tray icon applet says "Uploading xx files..." . But the upload never starts.

Likewise, if new files are added to the server, the tray icon applet never "sees" them and no syncing occurs.

Edited by Samoréen

Got it!

The correct setting is to select "Always scan SSL protocol" and to select "Do not use HTTPS protocol checking" in HTTPS scanner setup. With these settings, Dropbox works normally.

Since Dropbox is so widely used, I guess this should be documented.

Then what's the purpose of SSL protocol scanning? Doesn't the second option disable the functionality of first?

hqsec

Edited by hqsec

Then what's the purpose of SSL protocol scanning? Doesn't the second option disable the functionality of first?

Indeed, the documentation is rather unclear about that. My guess is that "Do not use HTTPS protocol checking" will only disable HTTP over SSL (HTTPS) but not SSL protocol checking when SSL is used by any other protocol. However, in the case of Dropbox, the Dropbox synchronization program is not suposed to use HTTP to do its job. So it's a little confusing, to say the least.

Edited by Samoréen

• Administrators

Please post the information about installed modules (from the About window) as there should be no problem with Dropbox when SSL scanning is enabled if your Internet protection module is current.

Please post the information about installed modules (from the About window) as there should be no problem with Dropbox when SSL scanning is enabled if your Internet protection module is current.

Here it is :

Virus signature database: 9548 (20140316)

Rapid Response module: 3824 (20140316)

Update module: 1047 (20131023)

Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1421 (20140219)

Advanced heuristics module: 1147 (20140114)

Archive support module: 1192 (20140227)

Cleaner module: 1084 (20140224)

Anti-Stealth support module: 1057 (20131125)

ESET SysInspector module: 1240 (20131202)

Real-time file system protection module: 1006 (20110921)

Translation support module: 1145 (20131121)

HIPS support module: 1120 (20140305)

Internet protection module: 1109 (20140226)

Database module: 1054 (20140218)

Thanks.

there should be no problem with Dropbox when SSL scanning is enabled if your Internet protection module is current.

So your settings are :

- Protocol filtering | Enable application protocol content filtering => ON

- SSL | Always scan SSL protocol => ON

- Enable HTTP checking => ON

- HTTPS filtering mode => Use HTTPS protocol checking for selected ports (443)

?

If this can help...

I have reset all ESET settings to their default value. In that case, Dropbox works as expected but the default is "Do not scan SSL protocol" in which case HTTPS protocol scanning is also disabled (grayed). As soon as I select "Always scan SSL protocol" (which immediately enables "Use HTTPS protocol checking for selected ports (443)" ), Dropbox stops syncing and "Can't establish a secure connection".

The update system tells me that ESET is up-to-date.

Problem eventually solved by disabling the Spybot S&D proxy which I had activated as recommended. Now I can enable all SSL related options in ESET.

Wondering how this can interfere with ESET.

Edited by Samoréen

Now that Dropbox is working, I can no longer access some HTPPS sites under Firefox. No problem with Chrome but I need to use Firefox. Well, I guess I will definitively disable HTTPS protocol checking.

Problem eventually solved by disabling the Spybot S&D proxy which I had activated as recommended. Now I can enable all SSL related options in ESET.

Wondering how this can interfere with ESET.

I'm curious as to why you have Spybot S&D installed?

IMO it's only a waste of computer resources to use it, might sound harsh but it's true, its best before date has passed long time ago. 

An old habit :) . But I'm currently testing Malwarebytes as a complement to ESET.

WIth Firefox you need to import the ESET certificate into the browser in order to use and access https sites.

Thanks very much, that did it.

An old habit :) . But I'm currently testing Malwarebytes as a complement to ESET.

Yeah must be a very old habit indeed. Seems like "old habits die hard" might be true then.  ;)

Anyways. That's a very good and needed change, doing occasional on-demand scans with Malwarebytes as a second opinion is in most cases more than enough. But if your goal is to use both in real-time then setting up exclusions in both is recommended.

But if your goal is to use both in real-time then setting up exclusions in both is recommended.

Yes, but currently, it's not possible to easily copy the files and folders exclusion list from ESET to Malwarebytes, and the latter doesn't support wildcards anyway. This should be fixed in version 2.0 AFAIK.