when are policies updated on clients?

• Most Valued Members

Hi,

I have set in the policy to have the ERA Agent [7.0.0577] connect every 3 minutes for all clients and I have set the server to the ESMC server and left the port as 2222.  ESMC server is at version 7.0.0577.  Webconsole is at 7.0.429.0.

I just changed an existing policy to redirect the clients to a different updates server path.

I've waited for more than 10 minutes, and I'm not seeing my own machine's AV's Update path change.  It's still pointing to an old updates server path.

Aren't policies applied whenever the agent connects to the server to get commands?  Or did I misunderstand some settings?

Is there a way to manually force all clients to grab the updated policies?

Thanks

Ed

Clipboard01.jpg

• Administrators

As you wrote, agent receives policies the next time it connects to the ESMC server. Check client details and make sure it connects to the ESMC server alright, has the updated policy in the list of applied policies under Configuration and the update server setting is included in the policy (ie. it's marked to be applied). If more policies are applied on the client, you may need to enforce the setting in case it's set also by another policy that is applied.

image.png

• Most Valued Members

Thanks Marcos!

Just checked on the list for one system and while it has the right policies applied, it hasn't checked in since  yesterday, Since it is on right now and the ERA Agent is installed, something isn't ok with this system.

Edmund

• Administrators

C:\ProgramData\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Agent\EraAgentApplicationData\Logs\status.html  and trace.log in that folder on the troublesome client should provide more details about the connection issue.

• Most Valued Members
On 6/5/2019 at 1:30 PM, Marcos said:

C:\ProgramData\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Agent\EraAgentApplicationData\Logs\status.html  and trace.log in that folder on the troublesome client should provide more details about the connection issue.

I'm quite confused with how the policies are applied on the systems.

I have 2 policies.  Policy 1 sets the connection interval,  and Policy 2 sets the update settings. Policy 1's Update settings are set to "Not set in this policy" [clipboard1.jpg], whereas in Policy 2, the update settings are set to forced (the red lightning bolt icon) [clipboard2.jpg]. 

So in theory,  policy 1 sets the connection settings and ignores the updates settings and policy 2 ignores the connection settings and forces the updates settings.   However, on my system (AV 7.0.0577), the update settings are definable and my system is connecting to the ESMC server (no errors in status.html nor the trace.log).

[Clipboard3.jpg] shows what I see when I look at the updates settings on my system's AV UI.

So theoretically,  the update server should point to the value as given by clipboard1.jpg?  Sure, I can manually change it to point to the correct update server; but that defeats the purpose of setting policies.

Thanks

Ed

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg

• Most Valued Members

Please ignore the above. 

Apparently I'm stupid.  I was setting up the AGent's update settings.   and not the AV update settings.

So yeah..  found out what I was doing wrong.

Edmund