What has changed and what to do?

I've been using ESET almost from day one and since Leo Laporte (twit.tv) highly recommends it, I too have been telling all clients, friends and families alike that it's the best.  I too, having been exposed to the junk out there as well as the ever changing landscape of who is on top, which one does the better job, which one fails, and all the things to stay ahead of the crowd, yet to now become disappointed with ESET products.

Sure, they are a step ahead of the competition, but wow, the issues of wacko stuff that happens with the most current version (to lengthy to document, I can't type that fast, as well as it would fill volumes of pages to identify all the issues).

So, is it because the malware and virus creators are getting more savvy?  Is it because ESET has made enough money and their cash flow is fine, and they are taking a breather?  Is it because a lot of new hardware uses UEFI instead of traditional BIOS and the model for AV is changing?

What to do?  As a reseller (like the few remaining big stores like Fry's, MicroCenter, BestBuy etc.), they now have it on the shelves.  A year or 2 ago, nobody heard of ESET and you could never compare it against all the junk competition because it was seldom reviewed.  Now, it's visible, available to the masses, and worse than ever.

OK, no easy solution here because nothing else is better, but how can one ask, does a person who recommends a product and then has to assist in troubleshooting the issues with a customer save face?  It's embarrasing and I feel like I'm working for a start up in Silicon Valley that has to sell the goods to generate revenue to keep growing.  I'm sure some of you out there know what I'm trying to say.  We are all BETA Testers.  We pay for software, and when PC's freeze, BSOD's happen, oddities (like the notification flashing in the task bar with no fix as of yet), is it the hardware incompatibility, is it software mix mash jumble, is it bad programming or is it because the bad guys are winning and the developers cannot keep up with the level of protection needed to remain relevant?

People are flocking to iMacs, Apple laptops and the like not only because Windows is truly a dead OS that continues to be patched with no real competitive end game without a total redesign and rebuild with some new fangled next big thing, but also because although there are very few if any real viruses on the Apple platform (there are tons of malicious malware redirects and other compromises), ESET has a leg up in that market until the bad guy win there too, which they will in the coming years.

I'm not ranting, I'm venting at the whole support process and the documenting of an issue, the cross check into the existing database of problems, and the non resolve of known issues.

I understand that this may be the model of software Microsoft gave birth to from day one (develop it, sell it, generate revenue, hire more developers, fix the bugs, tell the consumers it's be fixed in the next release) but hey, I'm ready to pack it in and watch it all slowly implode.  I've had it.

• Administrators

Unfortunately, it's not clear what issues you've been facing while using ESET's products. Could you elaborate more on that? ESET has been continually improving the functionality, stability and overall usability of the products. Regarding malware detection, this has been tremendously improved since v2 and ESET is now able to protect against most of newly emerging threats proactively while detection for not yet recognized threats is added almost immediately.

well, i'm confused...

posting such verbage without providing firm problematic direction, i'm wondering whether guruuno is perhaps a troll!!??

just sayin'

:weneedashrugemoticonhere:

So much to refer too, too much time to to consume, will try.

Customers with EXACT SAME hardware (2 Dell Laptops), I have to uninstall ESET Security on one because of freezing at boot up, can only start in safe mode, uninstall reboot, install ESET ANTI VIRUS only (NOT Security Suite), problems go away.  Happening on several customers machines, random hangs, freezes, no boot, have to Safe Mode boot, uninstall SECURITY Suite, problems solved.

Another PC (ACER Laptop), spent 1-1/2 hours w/support a month ago, still unresolved "flashing" in task bar with MS Security/Firewall issue, could only diagnose with slow motion video recording to see the message.

Shall I go on?

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

When I see issues like the first one (weird performance problems) they are almost always due to ESET being installed onto a system which still has some remnant of a previously-installed anti-malware program on it (McAfee, Symantec, Trend or whomever Dell is pre-loading these days). The solution is as follows:

1. Uninstall ESET's software via the Start Menu and reboot.
  2. Run the ESET Uninstall Tool to ensure there are no remnants left over on the system and reboot.
  3. Re-run the uninstall procedure for the previously-installed anti-malware software (a list of removal tools for other anti-malware programs can be found here in ESET's knowledgebase) and reboot.
  4. Reinstall ESET's software.

AAt this point the system should be up and running with ESET's software and behaving smoothly with no freezes, lags, etc.  If you do experience problems, though, you can give the support engineers a call toll-free at +1 (866) 343-3738 for assistance.

What operating system is on the Acer laptop, and which ESET program did you install on it?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

The ACER laptop is a V5-571PG Windows 8 with (was) ESET Security Suite Ver. 6.

It is now uninstalled with Microsoft Security Essentials installed with no issues.

I did run the ESET uninstaller as you as well as support told me to, no change (with flashing task bar issue).

I always install MalwareBytes on all of my customers machines in addition to ESET.

Are you saying they don't play nice together?

Some discussions here and there were stating that Microsoft Office 365 might be problematic, what is ESET's take on it (working with ESET and 365)?

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

The root cause of the flashing Action Center notifications was just discovered about a month ago and a fix is planned.  See this post in our old forum for details.

With regard to using Malwarebytes and ESET together, if you are using MBAM Pro with its real-time protection (the MBAM.SYS file filter driver, I believe) then you are going to experience glitchy system behavior.  That happens when using multiple anti-malware programs with real-time protection together, and is not specific to ESET or to Malwarebytes.  The programs may work together for some time, and an issue only happen under certain circumstances (particular file being scanned, one program or the other introduces a new feature that is incompatible with the other, etc.) but because these types of conflicts do occur, it is prudent to not run overlapping on-access scanners, even if no problem is currently occurring.  If you switch to the free version of Malwarebytes, this should not be a problem, as it has no filter driver.  Likewise, static programs such as Microsoft's Windows Defender (not the Windows 8 version, but the one for XP/Vista/7) and the Malicious Software Removal Tool work fine in the presence of ESET's software.

As far as Office 365 goes, I'm not aware of any current open issues, although there were some initially that have since been resolved.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Administrators

If you encounter an issue with the system locking up with ESET installed, please create a complete memory dump as per the instructions here which should help the engineers find out the cause. When you have a dump from the point of a system lockup ready, contact Customer care (or me or another ESET moderator) who will provide you with further instructions how to convey it to ESET.

It's often 3rd party drivers or applications that clash with ESET's products. I, for one, am not aware of any stability issues that the latest public builds of ESET's products would suffer from.

If the gentleman that started this thread has had ESET from day 1, he should try

looking elsewhere for his problem. I have had ESET a long time and have NEVER

had a problem with it. Why people always blame ESET for their problems IMHO

is that they do not know how to do maintenance. Preventing bad things from

happening to your puter is a multi pronged thing. Such as Sweepi, Malwarebytes,

Ccleaner, staying away from Windows 8, reinstalling whatever OS your running

from time to time etc. etc.

I hate these threads blaming the best virus software, when other things on their

puter are the cause of their problems......

Edited by Jack

Staying away from Windows 8????????

I've been doing this for 25+ years and I am excellent at what I do, therefore although I understand your reply, understand that I know my "stuff".

(Except for "stay away from WIndows 8"???????

Well I've been at it for over 40 years and earned my living in the field.

Usually problems of your sort are caused by something else.

It could do no harm to look.

guruuno

firstly, my apologies for leaping to conclusions.  it seemed, with this new forum only just taking flight, your post was taking *aim* --- ahh, we live and learn and we're all lucky to have the support we do for such a great product.

altho it's now moot, i originally had a dell desktop, preinstalled with norton antivirus and when i chose to move on from norton and use eset, my dell system became compromised because the norton uninstallation tools failed to fully remove all its components so i threw in the towel and had it professionally reformatted with the strict observance that all norton product be removed.  all since, with eset [save a couple of hiccups] has proceeded swimmingly...

you certainly know what you're talking about so i'll just leave you with a firm wish that you're able to rectify the situation you're currently in.

kindest regards