In-depth scan skips most files

The in-depth scan of ESET Smart Security 7.0.302.26 of one of my systems skips most of the files. Scanning almost 70 GB of files takes less than 2 minutes, even though I configured the ThreatSense engine that it should scan all files. The progress bar goes immediately after the start to more than 95 %. On another system a similar scan takes much, much longer and the progress bar moves slowly to the right. Does anyone know a reason for this strange behaviour on the first system?

I might have found a topic about a similar ESS 7 issue: https://forum.eset.com/topic/1736-ess-7-wont-scan/

Hopefully someone comes up with a nice and simple solution, since I'm not too fond of reinstalling ESS 7.

Edited by AGH1965

Hey AGH1965

An explanation could be that you have " Smart optimization " enabled for In depth scan. It's easy to check ...see image..(If that doesn't help then you can try a reinstallation,....)

Regards Janus.

post-65-0-18159500-1390857311_thumb.png

Thanks, Janus. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the smart optimization causes the problem, since it's enabled on both my systems and only one system behaves strangely. Besides, smart optimization is enabled by default, but I can't imagine that ESS 7 is supposed to skip most files by default. (If you disable smart optimization and press the "Default" button, then it is enabled automatically.)

It actually is only default on the smart scan profile.

Move to an indepth profile and your results will differ.

Edited by Arakasi

Thanks Arakasi. I looked again at the ThreatSense settings of these profiles. It is very strange, but the in-depth scan profile and the smart scan profile have identical default settings. (Yes, I used the "Default" button over and over again...) Apparently the default settings of the ESS 7 installations on both my systems got messed up. Or could this be a bug in the Dutch version of ESS 7?

Nevertheless I started an in-depth scan on the system that previoiusly skipped most of the files, but this time with the smart optimization disabled. Now the scan lasted 24 minutes instead of less than 2 minutes. That seems more normal.

Because of the messed up default settings reinstalling ESS 7 might still be useful though. Any other suggestions?

I would concur, try a reinstall to bring back the regular settings whether they are stored in a dat file or registry, it should be fixed.

I am unaware if there is a way to reset to default without reinstall, maybe staff will shed light on that question.

:)

First I removed ESS 7 from one of my systems and reinstalled it. Then I checked the ThreatSense settings of the scan profiles. Fortunately the smart optimization setting appeared to be enabled in the smart scan profile and disabled in the in-depth scan profile. However, when I pressed the "Default" button, the smart optimization setting of the in-depth scan profile was enabled automatically! This must be a bug!

First I removed ESS 7 from one of my systems and reinstalled it. Then I checked the ThreatSense settings of the scan profiles. Fortunately the smart optimization setting appeared to be enabled in the smart scan profile and disabled in the in-depth scan profile. However, when I pressed the "Default" button, the smart optimization setting of the in-depth scan profile was enabled automatically! This must be a bug!

Hello

We must presume that the downloaded version is configured in default settings, such as eset has thought its product. So using the default bottom should set the software back to the stage where is was, before it was tampered with. And...In my perspective this is a bug, and an unfortunately feature :-)))

Done a Video to illustrate what we are talking about

Regards Janus

Janus, i believe that ESET programmatically set the default settings to switch on Smart Optimization.

Hence the name Feature, and not Bug, due to purposefully being coded that way.

• Administrators

Currently all scanner profiles use the same default settings which is by design and cannot be changed in v7. Maybe in future versions it will be possible to change this behavior.

Smart optimization should be kept enabled as it doesn't involve any security risks. It substantially speeds up scanning (especially with LiveGrid enabled) without any adverse effect.

Hello

Still it makes absolutely no sense,.... I will give my support to the OP of this post, regarding that is not logically at all....that the default button when pressed, sets the parameters to something else than it was when downloaded.

Regards Janus

• Administrators

Still it makes absolutely no sense,.... I will give my support to the OP of this post, regarding that is not logically at all....that the default button when pressed, sets the parameters to something else than it was when downloaded.

I'd rather say it's not expected but understandable if one knows how the system works.

Experienced users should also contemplate the layout and design of accessing the threat sense parameters from multiple locations within the software.

A profile with parameters specific to that profile would have to be chosen everytime accessing the parameters for Threat Sense etc.

It could turn into a big project or design change if altered.

I fully agree with Janus. It's not logical that the "Default" button doesn't restore the original default settings. The behaviour might be understandable for someone who knows how ESS 7 was programmed, but in my opinion the developer should look at the software from the user's point of view, not the other way around!