Can Not Enable Web Access Protection

Rudolph Thomas

Good day, Today is my first post to the group

I'm experiencing difficulties with NOD32 Product Version 12.0.27.0 on Windows 10 Version 1803 - Build 17134.345

Web access protection AND Anti-Phishing is permanently switched off. If I go to advanced setup the settings indicate that it should be on. I can only disable it completely. I Have uninstalled and re-installed NOD32 but no luck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

dbcce373-4a26-4947-a454-469ff73656af.thumb.jpg.8dece3e1cd094fc120261a9183d20934.jpg

7736e63f-617a-4b14-b0aa-a007b9240baf.jpg

b8351c9b-a882-4e28-95a5-9b0364397f20.jpg

• Administrators

Try the following:
- stop the Windows Search Service, if running
- delete all *.blf and *.regtrans-ms files in:

• %SystemRoot%\system32\config\TxR

• %SystemRoot%\system32\SMI\Store\Machine

- start the Windows Search Service
- reinstall EAV, if necessary

The above advice is based on https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/948252/error-message-when-you-try-to-install-a-windows-update-a-hotfix-or-a-s.

As a test I uninstalled Eset NOD32 and installed Eset Internet Security. I Have a similar problem. Even more severe.

On Eset Internet Security 12.0.27.0 (Trial Version) the following items are switched on but not functional:
Internet Protection >
Web access protection (RED)
Email Client protection (GREEN)
Antispam protection (GREEN)
Anti-Phishing protection (RED)

Network Protection>
Firewall (RED)
Network Attack protection IDS (RED)
Botnet protection (RED)

Support might not work on weekends, so hopefully you will get help soon.

I had that happen to my installation back in version 10. I was just about to reinstall Windows anyway, so I didn't bother messing with it. Worked fine afterwards.

• Most Valued Members
20 hours ago, Rudolph Thomas said:

As a test I uninstalled Eset NOD32 and installed Eset Internet Security. I Have a similar problem. Even more severe.

On Eset Internet Security 12.0.27.0 (Trial Version) the following items are switched on but not functional:
Internet Protection >
Web access protection (RED)
Email Client protection (GREEN)
Antispam protection (GREEN)
Anti-Phishing protection (RED)

Network Protection>
Firewall (RED)
Network Attack protection IDS (RED)
Botnet protection (RED)

Try to uninstall ESET using ESET Uninstaller https://support.eset.com/kb2289/?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

And then re-install and see if it makes any differences.

Rudolph,

Something you could try : go to Tools | Log Files | Events and check whether there's a notification about failed installation of some drivers. If this is the case, navigate to this page and follow the instructions in order to re-install the drivers which failed to install.

• Administrators

You can temporarily uninstall EAV, install ESET Internet Security and activate a trial license. Then enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Details for customer care. Reboot the machine, disable advanced logging, gather logs with ELC and provide me with the generated archive.

52 minutes ago, Marcos said:

You can temporarily uninstall EAV, install ESET Internet Security and activate a trial license. Then enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Details for customer care. Reboot the machine, disable advanced logging, gather logs with ESET Log Collector and provide me with the generated archive.

Will do this as soon as I get the machine back from the person who is using it.

Although I did download ESET Log Collector to create a log of everything (ALL)
Here is a link to my Log file:
https://tigme.co.za/eset-log/eav_logs.zip

1 hour ago, Samoréen said:

Rudolph,

Something you could try : go to Tools | Log Files | Events and check whether there's a notification about failed installation of some drivers. If this is the case, navigate to this page and follow the instructions in order to re-install the drivers which failed to install.

Thanks will check when the machine returns to me

• Administrators

I'd need ELC logs from EIS, not from EAV. The thing is EAV doesn't contain a firewall and thus cannot log operations related to the registration to the system that are performed during a system start.

If you have more machines in the network or if you are not behind a firewall or router, I'd strongly recommend upgrading to EIS which also contains the Network attack protection module that was able to protect our users from the infamous WannaCry attack weeks before it occurred.

6 hours ago, Rudolph Thomas said:

Thanks will check when the machine returns to me

Since several workarounds have been suggested, I suggest that you try the driver re-installation first (if any event in the log is mentioning a driver installation failure - otherwise just forget it). It's faster than uninstalling/re-installing.

On 10/29/2018 at 1:46 PM, Marcos said:

I'd need ESET Log Collector logs from EIS, not from EAV. The thing is EAV doesn't contain a firewall and thus cannot log operations related to the registration to the system that are performed during a system start.

If you have more machines in the network or if you are not behind a firewall or router, I'd strongly recommend upgrading to EIS which also contains the Network attack protection module that was able to protect our users from the infamous WannaCry attack weeks before it occurred.

Thanks. I Will investigate as soon as I get the machine back.

On 10/29/2018 at 8:23 PM, Samoréen said:

Since several workarounds have been suggested, I suggest that you try the driver re-installation first (if any event in the log is mentioning a driver installation failure - otherwise just forget it). It's faster than uninstalling/re-installing.

I got a phone call from Eset support. They suggested the the drivers need to be re-installed. I'll report back as soon as this has been done.

On 10/29/2018 at 11:51 AM, Rami said:

Try to uninstall ESET using ESET Uninstaller https://support.eset.com/kb2289/?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

And then re-install and see if it makes any differences.

@Rami Unfortunately this procedure did not work. I tried it multiple times with different versions of ESET ie. NOD32 and Internet Security

• Most Valued Members
30 minutes ago, Rudolph Thomas said:

@Rami Unfortunately this procedure did not work. I tried it multiple times with different versions of ESET ie. NOD32 and Internet Security

Was it working in the last few days? , is System Restore a possible option for you? To restore to a point where ESET was working fine,

If not then I leave it to Marcos/ESET Support to help you , If I can provide more help I will do.

2 hours ago, Rami said:

Was it working in the last few days? , is System Restore a possible option for you? To restore to a point where ESET was working fine,

If not then I leave it to Marcos/ESET Support to help you , If I can provide more help I will do.

Unfortunately too much time has past to do a system restore. I Perform a lot of system restores to fix silly issues like this if it is still possible to do. Thanks trying every angle :-)

• Most Valued Members
2 minutes ago, Rudolph Thomas said:

Unfortunately too much time has past to do a system restore. I Perform a lot of system restores to fix silly issues like this if it is still possible to do. Thanks trying every angle ?

I do believe you still have time to restore to an earlier point where ESET was working fine.