Question about virus definition update warning.

soulweeper

I'm running v 6.0.316.0, and I had to restore my computer using system restore(Windows 7, 64 bit)....no big deal, but I got the warning that my virus definitions weren't up to date. I told it to update, and the progress never changed, so I finally restarted the computer, told it to update. It says that the virus definitions are up to date, but I still get the warning, and it also says last successful update was 1/3/2014. None of this makes sense. I've attached a couple pics. I'm going to re renewing my license shortly anyway.....should I just switch to version 7 at gthat time....is it pretty stable at this point?

Also, I can just save my settings in version 6, and import them into 7, correct?

Thanks in advance!post-2630-0-91392500-1389651597_thumb.jpgpost-2630-0-67362100-1389651606_thumb.jpg

Edited by soulweeper

This is a known issue that has to do with timestamps and system restore.

I was affected by it one day when my CMOS battery went out and the VSD's updated to the year 2007 successfully. So in the year 2013, it was confused with a successfull update on 2007 lol.

#1 A workaround is to install Pre-release updates, followed by switch back to normal, or visa versa.

#2 A reinstall would be a fix.

Renewing your license wont repair this issue, but you can do option #1 and you will be set or wait until the next VSD push in a few hours etc.

Thanks for reporting :)

Edited by Arakasi

Thanks for the reply!

Oh.....so just waiting until the next VSD update will straighten this right out?

Is version 7 pretty stable at this time....do you know?

Thanks!

Edited by soulweeper

7 is hotness ;) Very stable.

Hips and external device integration is a little shaky, but thats due to compatibility with other software/ hardware , not ESET's software.

You know we are all here if you need some help or questions though.

Give us a hollar !

Cool.....thanks for the input!

Oh.....guess this goes without saying, but want to be sure....I can simply export my settings from 6 and import them into 7, correct?

Cool.....thanks for the input!

Oh.....guess this goes without saying, but want to be sure....I can simply export my settings from 6 and import them into 7, correct?

Its XML format so you are correct.

Your settings and exclusions etc will be carried over if you install 7 on top of 6. :)

What i am saying is you don't need to do all that.

Just install 7. Everything will carry over without user intervention.

I am not sure version 6 settings will imort into7 as much 6 will go into 6 and 7 will go into 7.

I haven't been able to locate documentation specifying.

Perhaps a moderator will answer definitively soon.

• Administrators

A configuration xml file is version-agnostic and will also work both with EAV and ESS. Only settings that are available in the product will be imported.

What i am saying is you don't need to do all that.

Just install 7. Everything will carry over without user intervention.

I am not sure version 6 settings will imort into7 as much 6 will go into 6 and 7 will go into 7.

I haven't been able to locate documentation specifying.

Perhaps a moderator will answer definitively soon.

I understand what you're saying.:)

But.....I've always understood that it's always better to remove the previous version, and do a clean install, as opposed to installing "on top" of a previous version.

That being said, I'd assume that it is ok to export my settings from 6, and import them into 7, after installed. :)

Thats correct when it implies to troubleshooting issues.

Do you have any issues ?

By design ESET will install over the top of existing and carry your settings over.

Looks like Marcos answered your question on importing.

I hope you enjoy version 7 !

:)

Thats correct when it implies to troubleshooting issues.

Do you have any issues ?

By design ESET will install over the top of existing and carry your settings over.

Looks like Marcos answered your question on importing.

I hope you enjoy version 7 !

:)

No.....no issues right now, just always heard it's better to do a clean install. I guess either way it will work fine, from what you're telling me. :)

According to what Marcos said, exporting/importing should be fine from 6 to 7, if I do it that way. Of course, I'm assuming that the settings between the two are pretty much identical, yes?

No, 7 has additional features and settings that you will be able to play with.

However all the settings of 6 will be there and those settings will remain unchanged after importing according to Marcos because its an agnostic process.

And if for some reason the "over the top" install will go wrong, you would see an error, a module doesn't work correctly or whatever. Then you can always use Plan B to uninstall and start from scratch. 

Edited by SweX

And if for some reason the "over the top" install will go wrong, you would see an error, a module doesn't work correctly or whatever. Then you can always use Plan B to uninstall and start from scratch. 

Ok so you agree that an "over the top" install of 7 would be fine, and if I do it that way, and see no errors, then all is good, yes? And any settings I had in 6 will remain the same.

Same thing if I do an export from 6>uninstall>fresh install of 7>import settings from 6......my only concern would be additional settings not found in 6.

Just making sure I'm following this correctly. :)

Edited by soulweeper

Now your getting it ! ;)

All the settings in 6 are also in 7.

7 Has new features.

All your settings from 6 will carry over. New features in 7 will have to be turned on or off by user discretion.

When i personally upgraded from 6 to 7, i installed over the top.

During the beta testing phases of versions 7, this was tested by hundreds of users. Any issues installing over the top would have been brought up last year. :)

Let us know if you have any futher questions :P

Hi

A configuration xml file is version-agnostic and will also work both with EAV and ESS. Only settings that are available in the product will be imported.

What does version-agnostic" mean ? In urban dictionary "agnostic " means....so???

Now your getting it ! ;)

All the settings in 6 are also in 7.

7 Has new features.

All your settings from 6 will carry over. New features in 7 will have to be turned on or off by user discretion.

When i personally upgraded from 6 to 7, i installed over the top.

During the beta testing phases of versions 7, this was tested by hundreds of users. Any issues installing over the top would have been brought up last year. :)

Let us know if you have any futher questions :P

Thanks!

Hi

What does version-agnostic" mean ? In urban dictionary "agnostic " means....so???

Agnostic, in an information technology (IT) context, refers to something that is generalized so that it is interoperable among various systems. The term can refer not only to software and hardware, but also to business processes or practices.

The word agnostic comes from the Greek a-, meaning without and gnōsis, meaning knowledge. In IT, that translates to the ability of something to function without “knowing” the underlying details of a system that it is working within.  As with interoperability, agnosticism is typically enabled by either compliance with widely-used standards or added elements (such as coding) that will enable one system to function in a variety of environments.

Hi

Agnostic, in an information technology (IT) context, refers to something that is generalized so that it is interoperable among various systems. The term can refer not only to software and hardware, but also to business processes or practices.

The word agnostic comes from the Greek a-, meaning without and gnōsis, meaning knowledge. In IT, that translates to the ability of something to function without “knowing” the underlying details of a system that it is working within.  As with interoperability, agnosticism is typically enabled by either compliance with widely-used standards or added elements (such as coding) that will enable one system to function in a variety of environments.

haha.. that ekplanation make more sense, thanks Arakasi :D