Windows 10 version 1809

autobotranger

Hello. I see that Windows Update is now offering the new Windows 10 October 2018 Update (Redstone 5) and I'm simply wondering if Eset Nod32 Antivirus 11.2.63.0 is ready for and fully compatible with the new W10 version?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by autobotranger

• Administrators

I take liberty to correct you - it's Windows 10 October 2018 Update (aka RedStone 5). Versions 10.1 and newer fully support it.

• ESET Insiders
14 minutes ago, autobotranger said:

Hello. I see that Windows Update is now offering the new Windows 10 Creators Update 1809 and I'm simply wondering if Eset Nod32 Antivirus 11.2.63.0 is ready for and fully compatible with the new W10 version?

Thanks in advance.

Yes it's support it. Mine machine is working well with Eset and Windows 10 1809 version.

20 minutes ago, Marcos said:

I take liberty to correct you - it's Windows 10 October 2018 Update (aka RedStone 5). Versions 10.1 and newer fully support it.

Ah I see. I will edit my original post then. And good to hear that my version of Nod32 AV is compatible.

13 minutes ago, anton83 said:

Yes it's support it. Mine machine is working well with Eset and Windows 10 1809 version.

Sounds good! Thank you guys.

Latest is Microsoft is blocking RS5 update on many vers. due to numerous issues. The most serious is the deletion of all your %AppDataLocal% files in folders such as My Documents, My Pictures, etc..

Windows 10 update should be avoided until Microsoft delivers fixes: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/problems-with-windows-10-october-2018-update/ 

On 10/5/2018 at 9:24 AM, itman said:

Latest is Microsoft is blocking RS5 update on many vers. due to numerous issues. The most serious is the deletion of all your %AppDataLocal% files in folders such as My Documents, My Pictures, etc..

Windows 10 update should be avoided until Microsoft delivers fixes: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/problems-with-windows-10-october-2018-update/ 

Unfortunately my desktop PC already updated to version 10.0.17763.1 (Win10 RS5) last Friday.  Since then, Firefox wouldn't connect to a number of my bookmarked websites and Thunderbird wouldn't download new emails.  Both were working perfectly until this weekend.
I hope that this problem goes away once Micro$oft get their act together.  In the meantime I have added Thunderbird and Firefox to the list of Excluded Applications under Protocol Filtering (which is still enabled).  That has fixed the problem for now but is this safe ?  Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am not an expert by any means.  Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Emile

• Most Valued Members
On 10/7/2018 at 4:50 AM, Emile said:

Unfortunately my desktop PC already updated to version 10.0.17763.1 (Win10 RS5) last Friday.  Since then, Firefox wouldn't connect to a number of my bookmarked websites and Thunderbird wouldn't download new emails.  Both were working perfectly until this weekend.
I hope that this problem goes away once Micro$oft get their act together.  In the meantime I have added Thunderbird and Firefox to the list of Excluded Applications under Protocol Filtering (which is still enabled).  That has fixed the problem for now but is this safe ?  Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am not an expert by any means.  Thanks for any advice.

Microsoft has stopped the update from rolling out to people due to the problems that people are experiencing with it , funny ain't it? , they still can't make a stable update.

You could atleast delay that in the future by switching to Semi Annual Channel in the update settings which delays the update till it's approved for mass use

• ESET Insiders
1 minute ago, Rami said:

Microsoft has stopped the update from rolling out to people due to the problems that people are experiencing with it , funny ain't it? , they still can't make a stable update.

You could atleast delay that in the future by switching to Semi Annual Channel in the update settings which delays the update till it's approved for mass use

It's happened on some machines that stores files in One Drive with premium subscription and didn't have enough space in One drive and for an update. All others doesn't have any problems. Also an update will be available soon with patch. People who allready updated to 1809 will only receive patch. So nothing criminal.

• Most Valued Members
23 minutes ago, anton83 said:

It's happened on some machines that stores files in One Drive with premium subscription and didn't have enough space in One drive and for an update. All others doesn't have any problems. Also an update will be available soon with patch. People who allready updated to 1809 will only receive patch. So nothing criminal.

Nothing criminal indeed but when you value the system that you use and the files that you store in your system you expect a corporation that is big as Microsoft to release you something that is stable and won't cause you data loss just because you have decided to stay up to date.

• ESET Insiders
19 minutes ago, Rami said:

Nothing criminal indeed but when you value the system that you use and the files that you store in your system you expect a corporation that is big as Microsoft to release you something that is stable and won't cause you data loss just because you have decided to stay up to date.

They have tools to restore loss data.

• Most Valued Members
35 minutes ago, anton83 said:

They have tools to restore loss data.

It's funny that you pay for an operating system that will provide you an update to make it more stable or more secure or reliable or whatever you want to call it , instead it crashes your PC and removes your data , and then you should expect the user to be happy because they will offer me data loss applications? , well they are widespread accross the internet these tools , but who wants to spend hours trying to restore GBs of data? , because of someone else fault that decided to release and update that broke systems.

Well that's not what a giant corporation act like , you shouldn't release anything to the public if it will make a mess , you should keep testing till you realize oh wow , we could get it out.

• ESET Insiders
19 minutes ago, Rami said:

It's funny that you pay for an operating system that will provide you an update to make it more stable or more secure or reliable or whatever you want to call it , instead it crashes your PC and removes your data , and then you should expect the user to be happy because they will offer me data loss applications? , well they are widespread accross the internet these tools , but who wants to spend hours trying to restore GBs of data? , because of someone else fault that decided to release and update that broke systems.

Well that's not what a giant corporation act like , you shouldn't release anything to the public if it will make a mess , you should keep testing till you realize oh wow , we could get it out.

it can happen with any comany or corporation. Also it's few people that have such issue, also this issue doesn't crash computer, it's only delete files in user folder One Drive.

• Most Valued Members

I don't know , I thought 'one' should be more careful when releasing something to millions of people. But whatever , it's not my issues and Microsoft isn't mine.

On 10/7/2018 at 2:50 PM, Emile said:

added Thunderbird and Firefox to the list of Excluded Applications under Protocol Filtering (which is still enabled)

Sorry, but I still don't see a reply to my question as to whether or not the above is safe to do.  Anyone ?

• Most Valued Members
7 minutes ago, Emile said:

Sorry, but I still don't see a reply to my question as to whether or not the above is safe to do.  Anyone ?

Doing so ESET will stop scanning Firefox and Thunderbird in realtime. , enabling the real-time scan will make them not work properly?

• ESET Insiders
23 minutes ago, Emile said:

Reset the rules to default values.

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:50 PM, Emile said:

That has fixed the problem for now but is this safe ? 

No, it is not.

However, given all the problems publically found since the Win 10 RS5 upgrade, It can't be confidentially stated that your issues are due to Eset.

Appears to me you have two options:

1. Rollback Win 10 to ver. 1803.

2. Continue with your Eset exclusion settings.

3 hours ago, itman said:

No, it is not.

However, given all the problems publically found since the Win 10 RS5 upgrade, It can't be confidentially stated that your issues are due to Eset.

Appears to me you have two options:

1. Rollback Win 10 to ver. 1803.

2. Continue with your Eset exclusion settings.

Sorry : I was not suggesting for one moment that ESET was to blame, because until the Windows update took place end of last week, both Firefox and Thunderbird were working fine for me.  Thanks for your reply, I will keep the exclusion settings for now and just try without them from time to time until I can see that Micro$oft has sorted out the problems they caused.

9 hours ago, Rami said:

Doing so ESET will stop scanning Firefox and Thunderbird in realtime. , enabling the real-time scan will make them not work properly?

Yes that is correct as of now.  After reading itman's reply I will continue with the exclusions for now.

• Most Valued Members
3 minutes ago, Emile said:

Yes that is correct as of now.  After reading itman's reply I will continue with the exclusions for now.

Just roll back to 1803, In the Windows Update settings you have the option for Semi Annual Channel (Not the targeted one) which means that you will receive the update once it's approved for Enterprise use , just like when they have updated to 1803 they just have affected the Microphones

39 minutes ago, Rami said:

In the Windows Update settings you have the option for Semi Annual Channel (Not the targeted one) which means that you will receive the update once it's approved for Enterprise use

Those settings don't exist in the Win 10 Home ver.. Also if enabled via registry modification, the settings will be ignored I believe. I currently have it set to 60 days. I will let you know if the upgrade is offered, once MS loads it back to the Win Update servers.

Also the metered network connection option as far as the feature upgrade goes, no longer blocks the download on the Home ver.; only the installation of it.

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members
4 hours ago, itman said:

Those settings don't exist in the Win 10 Home ver.. Also if enabled via registry modification, the settings will be ignored I believe. I currently have it set to 60 days. I will let you know if the upgrade is offered, once MS loads it back to the Win Update servers.

Also the metered network connection option as far as the feature upgrade goes, no longer blocks the download on the Home ver.; only the installation of it.

I am sorry I wasn't aware of that it's not available in Home edition, somehow Microsoft will force you into the update in the end.

The one thing you should be able to trust above all else with any operating system is that they are not going to delete or lose your files.

Yes you should have backups but these are only limited points in time, unless you check all your files and folders everyday to make sure none are missing or corrupted, backups won't save you from files that you haven't noticed had been deleted at previous points in time.

This is a massive fail on Microsoft in my opinion, goes straight to the heart of whether you can trust the stability of their offering.

Re updates, yes in Windows 10 Pro you can enable 'Semi Annual Channel', but this setting seems to change every version, and there have been several examples in the past where Microsoft has ignored it's own settings and installed the updates anyway. Not to mention that you can no longer control when updates are downloaded and installed (unless you have WSUS). At least pre W10 you could leave computers on overnight and know that updates would be installed at 3am and computers restarted automatically. Now even when you leave them on they still seem to insist on downloading and installing updates when you first logon in the morning.

I've been a Microsoft partner for a very long time and in my opinion the current W10 upgrade agenda is a disgrace.

• Most Valued Members
On 10/9/2018 at 3:29 AM, ShaneDT said:

The one thing you should be able to trust above all else with any operating system is that they are not going to delete or lose your files.

Yes you should have backups but these are only limited points in time, unless you check all your files and folders everyday to make sure none are missing or corrupted, backups won't save you from files that you haven't noticed had been deleted at previous points in time.

This is a massive fail on Microsoft in my opinion, goes straight to the heart of whether you can trust the stability of their offering.

Re updates, yes in Windows 10 Pro you can enable 'Semi Annual Channel', but this setting seems to change every version, and there have been several examples in the past where Microsoft has ignored it's own settings and installed the updates anyway. Not to mention that you can no longer control when updates are downloaded and installed (unless you have WSUS). At least pre W10 you could leave computers on overnight and know that updates would be installed at 3am and computers restarted automatically. Now even when you leave them on they still seem to insist on downloading and installing updates when you first logon in the morning.

I've been a Microsoft partner for a very long time and in my opinion the current W10 upgrade agenda is a disgrace.

They just force you to upgrade , and sometimes upgrading isn't an option because maybe I want to stay with that version and keep getting security updates because I feel like this version is stable for me , so why you push and force me to upgrade to another version that might break my system and that what it does.

I have rolled back Windows 10 RS5 to RS4 on my main desktop PC.  Both Firefox and Thunderbird now work fine on that machine, without the exclusions that I had needed to set up for these programs in NOD32's Protocol Filtering.

As an aside : on my work laptop, Windows 10 RS5 had completely wrecked any audio functionality.  Rolling the laptop back to RS4 restored that (fortunately, its Thunderbird's functionality had not been affected).

Don't you just LOVE Micro$oft...  IMHO they have really shot themselves in the foot with this "Creators Update", but since their systems are so widespread I would suspect that they will just be able to shrug it off and get away with it ?

Edited by Emile