EES V7 Web Filtering Issue

jimmy09

Web filtering was working fine back in V6.  Once we upgraded to V7 we are noticing that web filtering is working in IE but not in Chrome.  Then on other computers it seems to be working in Chrome but not in IE.  But yet the computers are running the same policies in ERA

Has anyone else noticed this issue?

FYI Web Protocollfiltering is slowing down the Internetaccess. Site loads many many seconds up to a minute.

I added exlusion for C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe this helped. But not really the best way i think :D

Before upgrade to the newest Version of ESET it worked fine.

asdsaddadsadsad.thumb.png.2865ac4242da575c00b90a3b20403e36.png

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, schuetzdentalCB said:

I added exlusion for C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe this helped.

This is dangerous and not recommended to do since you won't be protected when opening malicious websites or downloading malware.

Please enabled advanced protocol filtering logging and advanced network protection logging in the setup under Tools -> Diagnostics, reproduce the issue. When done, disable logging, gather logs with ELC and provide me with the generated archive.

me2.

I think the main problem is within the SSL/TLS Filtering somewhere. If you let Web Filtering active and only deactivate SSL/TLS it still works as normal. Added a image to my post here:

Unbenannt.thumb.PNG.65e82fcad6d8ec185008bfe804564b41.PNG

Only if you disable the whole function it works fine again. only disable one of those three options down there wont bring anything for me. maybe this helps you. (at this moment when its working, the Web and Mail Filtering is still enabled).

11 hours ago, schuetzdentalCB said:

me2.

I think the main problem is within the SSL/TLS Filtering somewhere. If you let Web Filtering active and only deactivate SSL/TLS it still works as normal. Added a image to my post here:

Unbenannt.thumb.PNG.65e82fcad6d8ec185008bfe804564b41.PNG

Only if you disable the whole function it works fine again. only disable one of those three options down there wont bring anything for me. maybe this helps you. (at this moment when its working, the Web and Mail Filtering is still enabled).

If you turn off SSL/TLS filtering, then it won't filter HTTPS sites.  Correct?  We have to have it filtering HTTPS as well as HTTP.

• Administrators

If you download eicar from http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar_com.zip and https://secure.eicar.org/eicar_com.zip, is it detected?

If not, please enable advanced protocol filtering and network protection logging under tools -> diagnostics, download eicar from the above links, disable logging and gather logs with ELC. Contact your local customer care so that the case is properly tracked and supply them with the generated archive.

@Marcos ESET Blocked both links. 

And I have contacted my local customer care.  There is a case open on this already. But the only update I've gotten in the last 2 weeks is that the devs are looking at it.  I just called in 2 days ago for an update and there wasn't one.  

Clearly I'm not the only one with this issue.  

ESET support is starting to become a joke.  So slow are responding.  Have to setup a time slot for a call back the next day.  It just keeps getting worse and worse as far as ESET support goes in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

Has any one heard any updates from support? We can't get any response from USA support.  They keep telling us that they are waiting on a response from their dev team.

• Most Valued Members
On 9/17/2018 at 9:24 PM, jimmy09 said:

Has any one heard any updates from support? We can't get any response from USA support.  They keep telling us that they are waiting on a response from their dev team.

1 hour ago, schuetzdentalCB said:

Looks like there is no fix for this atm...we will have to wait. :(

Google recently updated their browser , in their recent update Google decided to prevent scanning/injecting the browser , whether it was an Anti-Virus scanning/injecting or a Virus scanning/injecting , the updated Chrome should block it , that is causing conflicts with ESET and Chrome

Till they patch (google or eset) I think you will keep experiencing troubles with Google Chrome , even though if you use another anti-virus , I think Chrome would block it.

Try to switch to Firefox till they patch it.

So to expand on our issue.

Web filtering works in Google Chrome for our AD users.  But not in IE for our AD users unless the user is an administrator. The only way for web filtering to work on standard users in IE is for the web filtering rule be set to all users or add the user into the local or domain admin group. I'm awaiting a response from US support to submit a log that I've collected.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

To follow up;

It has been narrowed down that this is related to IE protected mode.  With protected mode enabled, ESET will not filter any sites if IE is ran as a non-admin.  If you disable protected mode in IE, ESET filtering works as it should. 

I'm waiting on followup from ESET to see if there will be a fix, or if I will be forced to disable protected mode for all my users via GPO.

• Administrators

For me filtering works for standard users with enhanced protection mode enabled in IE.

Two things for you to try:
1, Make sure the following settings are not locked (ie. set by a policy):
image.png

2, Try creating a new Windows user account, log into that account and check if the issue persists.

3, Enable pre-release updates to download the latest Internet protection module that fixes certain reoistry permissions on Windows 10.

Let us know about your findings.