Eset

Linda50

Hello Linda50 and wellcome

If you download software from Cnet, as you said you did, then it is most likely that eset has detected an " Potentiel unwanted program" in the download. Try instead to download the same software from the vendors official website. Link: Sony

Regards Janus

Hello Linda50

The download is categorized by eset as " Win32/Adware.RegGenie application" so it is not a mistake by eset. The software is a potentially unwanted application, and is a program that contains adware (se the link from above).

Regards Janus.

To Eset ( info. from VirusTotol) :MD5 de41943335a000152b47aa1558bce077 (SHA1 aa3ac6cf0358d939165c25d48a07c75146e721a5)

Edited by Janus

Janus, do you think the pup is exclusive to CNET hence your referral to Sony?  What about going to Softpedia.com to obtain it?

I find it rather curious :huh: that Sony would not have its own software available on its own website, even if it is new. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Good to see SS7 doing its job!

Edited by TomFace

Hello Linda50

Regarding the name , "Reggenie" then it comes from the quarantined file. The file should be in your quarantine.Not sure if my answer is correct regarding the name "reggenie" : But the software you are trying to download performs task like scans and repairs of registry errors. So reg. could stand for registy-genie, a program wich perform (or try to) delete some registry entries. (Which most often can cause more severe troubles).

Regards Janus

(Hey TomFace , I agree with you )

Edited by Janus

Please see existing thread by one of the developers of Sony here :

hxxp://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=347403

I would delicately like to add that you don't want this software running on your computer Linda. :)

If your computer is running slow, you should really have a tech look at it for optimization.

These programs really dont work to well or do what they subscribe, its all marketing.

Edited by Arakasi

I had a look at the program myself.

Its an archive.

The only thing that is found as a threat for the entire folder is the main exe file. According to ESET it will have a lot of advertisements and popups that will actually do the reverse to your computer. Slow it down, not speed it up, and annoy you for that matter ;)

Sure Sony is a reputable company, but they are also a profitable company in many different areas. Having software with ads is not a negative thing for Sony, but you sure dont want it on a computer.

Please dont mistaken PUA or a file blocked by ESET as malicious.

ESET has one goal here. . . keep your computer clean and running as it should.

Its doing its job, and protecting you. :)

post-1101-0-44561700-1387458355_thumb.jpg

post-1101-0-52348200-1387458365_thumb.jpg

post-1101-0-14200900-1387458373_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arakasi

Good morning Linda ! :)

Just to answer a few questions for you here :

I always thought Cnet is a trusted source

Its actually NOT.

Or at least Download.com powered by Cnet is NOT. :)

If you feel like attacking me personally then please just close this thread and I'll try a different antivirus software because I don't feel like I need to be treated like this from a company that I buy a product from.

I dont think Tom was attacking you Linda, he's a great guy :)

Also Tom does not work for ESET, and he does not have the authority to close a thread.

We dont want to close your thread here, we want to provide assistance. ;)

I'm still confused about this. Why does Eset detect this software as Reggenie if the software is not Reggenie?

ESET isnt calling it Reggenie, from my pictures above, ESET is calling it some form or variant of it, or variation .

Its Similar in nature, but not exactly Reggenie. ESET does not have a full name for it.

Linda i hope i have helped some for you. :)

Edited by Arakasi

I found the main website for Zooka :

hxxp://zookaware.com/

Any Users or followers further reading this thread are encouraged away from this program as it is detected as PUA and PUP from ESET software.

This doesnt look like a Sony company.

CNET is probably wrong or misleading you.

I could be wrong, but i just browsed the main site, and cant find Sony anywhere.

Its from 2004 and based out of Alaska.

Edited by Arakasi

Sorry I am confused now :D Is SpeedZooka the actual Sony software that Linda50 is trying to download, or is that the PUA?

If Speedzooka is the PUA the perhaps we could try to find another download source for Linda50 where she can download the Sony software without the bundle PUA.

I haven't tried to find an alternative download source since I am unsure what the "Sony software" is called, at least it hasn't been mentioned in this thread by name that I can see, or has it?  :unsure:

Edited by SweX

I'm not sure Tom, the software was just released on Cnet last week from the date I saw on the listing. I just thought I'd download it and try it and then I had problems with Eset so I asked a question about it here. I didn't think that deserved a personal attack on me. Maybe you know more about computers than me but that doesn't make you a better person and give you the right to attack me for no reason. Are you implying that Cnet is lying and the listing for that software is not for Sony? I always thought Cnet is a trusted source.

I'm still confused about this. Why does Eset detect this software as Reggenie if the software is not Reggenie? I still feel like my question hasn't been answered. If you feel like attacking me personally then please just close this thread and I'll try a different antivirus software because I don't feel like I need to be treated like this from a company that I buy a product from. I prefer to have a civil conversation and have my question answered without the personal insults.

Linda50-No personal attack was intended and if taken so, please accept my apology. I am here to learn just as you are. I do not have the right to pass judgment on anyone in this forum or in life. I am just a user and not a company employee or representative. By the same token, if something does not make sense to me, I will ask a question so I can learn. 

Things (i.e...programs) may not always be what they appear to be. Sometimes that's good, other times, maybe not so good.

Yes Swex, that's what I was thinking when I mentioned Softpedia.

Edited by TomFace

Sorry I am confused now :D Is SpeedZooka the actual Sony software that Linda50 is trying to download, or is that the PUA?

If Speedzooka is the PUA the perhaps we could try to find another download source for Linda50 where she can download the Sony software without the bundle PUA.

I haven't tried to find an alternative download source since I am unsure what the "Sony software" is called, at least it hasn't been mentioned in this thread by name that I can see, or has it?  :unsure:

According to Linda here :

Here is where I saw the software download.cnet/speedzooka/3000-18512_4-76047568.html

The software is in the url. When visiting CNET for Speedzooka, it stayes Sony Creative at the top border as the listed dist.

I disabled my Av and downloaded under sandboxie. It was a single exe and i extracted it and listed the picture in my previous post. This is the EXE directly from CNET unpackaged.

Thanks Swex

Yes Swex, that's what I was thinking when I mentioned Softpedia.

Ah sorry I missed that part.  :)

If anyone knows then just post a link to an alternative source (not Cnet) providing the "Sony software" where she can download it without the PUA inside. I mean turning PUA detections off is not an option even if Cnet is the only download site that has it.  :unsure:

Regarding "Sony creative" There are several different Sony softwares for Music and Movie productions etc etc is that really what she's looking for? I am unsure if this is it but it can't hurt going directly to Sonys site I figure.

Trials and Demos:  hxxp://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials

Or software updates: hxxp://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/updates

We don't know the specific product name or version of the software so hard to pinpoint it down to one product.

Edited by SweX

Please see existing thread by one of the developers of Sony ZookaWare here :

hxxp://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=347403

I would delicately like to add that you don't want this software running on your computer Linda. :)

If your computer is running slow, you should really have a tech look at it for optimization.

These programs really dont work to well or do what they subscribe, its all marketing.

That would be one of the developers of ZookaWare and not Sony right?  ;)

Edited by SweX

Sure but look at his email on the forum.

<??@sony.com> ?

However , i dont think this is sony software at all and it may just be a coincidence.

There could be a thicker plot :ph34r:

Nonetheless ill stay away ;)

I appreciate everyones help here. But I still don't understand why Eset labels this software as a virus and calls it the wrong name. That seems like an error with Eset to me

Linda,

ESET does "NOT" label this as a virus.

They label this as a "Threat"

It is a Potentially unwanted application.

What is a potentially unwanted application? - ESET Knowledgebase

They are correct. I would not question 1 piece of software, when they have millions of file signatures, and how to handle them. I certainly wont go asking them why they label sality or sirefef as a threat. LOL !

Sality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Linda, Thank you for posting.

I hope we have made more sense to this ongoing investigation. :)

Thank you for choosing ESET

Edited by Arakasi