Eset

Linda50

It's still unclear if Linda50 could get her hands on the "Sony software" from elsewhere or not  :unsure:

hxxp://www.isthisfilesafe.com/product/SpeedZooka_details.aspx

It states this is from company Zookaware.

Which is the same company here : hxxp://zookaware.com/

So she could call and have it directly sent to her.

However ESET will still flag it.

They flag the main EXE of the package.

Edited by Arakasi

It's still unclear if Linda50 could get her hands on the "Sony software" from elsewhere or not  :unsure:

1. its not Sony software.

2. i provided the link to the software home page already. 

hxxp://zookaware.com/

Reference her post here : https://forum.eset.com/topic/1567-eset-says-sony-is-a-virus/#entry8907

What, so she wasn't looking for any Sony software at all? then why did she mention "Sony software" in the first place? You even mentioned "Sony Creative" a few posts back wich indeed is software developed by Sony.   :huh:

I have thought all this time that she was trying to download a genuine software developed by Sony from Cnet, and zookaware is the dev of the PUA "speedzooka" put inside the installer hosted by Cnet  :blink:

1. Click a link on CNET to download Sony Creative software with an unwanted PUA called speedzooka.

2. Click a link to download Sony Creative software from somewhere else without the PUA.

I've been a customer of Eset for several years and like the virus software. I tried downloading software from Sony today and Eset tells me its a virus and won't let me download it.

The software is approved by Cnet and from Sony so I don't understand why Eset won't let me download it? What information do you need to approve Sony software on my computer?

I still don't understand how Sony comes into this story if she's not looking for Sony software. Sony is mentioned several times in the OP post.

So, are you saying that she's actually been trying to download Speedzooka all this time?

Oh god I give up  :lol:

Edited by SweX

:lol:

Look at this page Swex : hxxp://download.cnet.com/windows/sony-creative-software/3260-20_4-6279491.html

Its the list of Sony creative software at Cnet Download.com.

At the very bottom is speedzooka.

I think that it is misplaced or put in the wrong area, thus causing all the confusion.

This is how Sony got thrown into the picture.

She saw it . . .

Edited by Arakasi

:lol:

Look at this page Swex : hxxp://download.cnet.com/windows/sony-creative-software/3260-20_4-6279491.html

Its the list of Sony creative software at Cnet Download.com.

At the very bottom is speedzooka.

I think that it is misplaced or put in the wrong area, thus causing all the confusion.

This is how Sony got thrown into the picture.

She saw it . . .

Thank you mate! :D  Now it makes a lot more sense why she thinks that Speedzooka is developed by Sony.

All of the software on that page except Speedzooka is genuine Sony softwares, so yes indeed it's all Cnet's fault putting Speedzooka with the Sony software like that, and I certainly don't blame Linda50 for getting this wrong and for believing everything on that page is Sony software when it's really not.

@Linda50, I think everyone in this thread can promise you that Speedzooka is NOT Sony software. And it will not "speed up" your PC as it claims only the opposite. If you feel that you don't have enough power and speed in your PC then it's better to buy newer hardware or go talk to someone that can help you out and maybe upgrade it for you instead of trying out this kind of snake oil. In other words a good general rule to have is to stay away from all software that claims stuff like "your PC will become lightning fast" Or "your PC will get 80% faster" etc etc etc.....

One can also take a look at how many software that is set to startup automatically at boot with Windows, disabling the unnecessary startup entries is one thing that actually can improve the performance of the PC and make it feel a bit snappier, and this is obviously cheaper to do than buy some new hardware. Even if new hardware would make a bigger difference, doing this is worth a try and a good start.

Edited by SweX

• 6 months later...

Swex et al,

I just stumbled on this topic when searching for a consensus on the performance of SpeedZooka.  (I couldn't stop reading when I discovered it wasn't related to my needs, because you guys were going in tangential directions....). However some of your replies have raised questions...

"Speedzooka is NOT Sony software."  Agreed! "And it will not "speed up" your PC as it claims only the opposite." Is that wholly true? I would have thought any software that removes malware and redundant registry entries might improve performance? Certainly Spyhunter4 did for me, until its run-time became so lengthy I found it unbearable. (Hence my interest in SpeedZooka) In any event eset themselves market a malware removal product too.

"If you feel that you don't have enough power and speed in your PC then it's better to buy newer hardware". Whilst that statement is obviously true, I believe most home users find performance slowing long before they need to upgrade hardware, especially as many users think like Linda50 said, "I just thought I'd download it and try it..." Moreover, countless add-ons get bundled with genuine updates, if you don't double check the content of every download, and even then the likes of Google can add-in to browsers without user knowledge.

"One can also take a look at how many software that is set to startup automatically at boot with Windows, disabling the unnecessary startup entries is one thing that actually can improve the performance of the PC..."  Agreed, but I trained as a computer programmer in 1985. I've worked as analyst, programmer, D_base designer, project manager and program manager.  I've owned PC's since the early 90's and even built (or more accurately, assemled) my own desktops. Yet, apart from a few obvious application names, I couldn't begin to determine which programs are essential at boot-up in a modern operating system?

Finally, when you guys are trying to help Mr/Miss Average User (and old dinosaurs like me), it would help if you identified the issue... I realised where Linda50 was coming from as soon as she posted, "Here is where I saw the software download.cnet/speedzooka/3000-18512_4-76047568.html". In my experience cnet has always punctuated its main pages with added download buttons to push so-called freebie software. I think it's their primary revenue stream?

For TomFace's interest...

Unless your first reply to Linda has been edited, there were NO personal attacks within it.  I imagine Linda50 was looking at your handle:

TomFace

Panic = Chaos/Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread

Best regards,

Reg

Swex et al,

I just stumbled on this topic when searching for a consensus on the performance of SpeedZooka.  (I couldn't stop reading when I discovered it wasn't related to my needs, because you guys were going in tangential directions....). However some of your replies have raised questions...

Hello Reg :)

"One can also take a look at how many software that is set to startup automatically at boot with Windows, disabling the unnecessary startup entries is one thing that actually can improve the performance of the PC..."  Agreed, but I trained as a computer programmer in 1985. I've worked as analyst, programmer, D_base designer, project manager and program manager.  I've owned PC's since the early 90's and even built (or more accurately, assemled) my own desktops. Yet, apart from a few obvious application names, I couldn't begin to determine which programs are essential at boot-up in a modern operating system?

The way I see it more or less. The only startup items that is "essential" are the ones that is there when the PC was brand new, everything else have been added and installed afterwards and are not essential and won't break anything if you decide to uninstall any of it.

A good idea is to make a backup when the PC is brand new (after removing any unwanted pre-installed software), and then also every month or so, and if you later feel its become a Turtle or its just soooo much suff on here, then you can just go back in time. Multiple backups is also good incase the drive dies when you didn't expect it to.

"If you feel that you don't have enough power and speed in your PC then it's better to buy newer hardware". Whilst that statement is obviously true, I believe most home users find performance slowing long before they need to upgrade hardware, especially as many users think like Linda50 said, "I just thought I'd download it and try it..." Moreover, countless add-ons get bundled with genuine updates, if you don't double check the content of every download, and even then the likes of Google can add-in to browsers without user knowledge.

Yes that's true, wich is why it is important that All AV vendors starts to take the PUA problem seriously, ESET and Malwarebytes is two that really does take it seriously, and it's not uncommon that developers come here asking why their software is detected by ESET. And the usual recommendation is that they should contact ESET's threat research laboratory.

"Speedzooka is NOT Sony software."  Agreed! "And it will not "speed up" your PC as it claims only the opposite." Is that wholly true? I would have thought any software that removes malware and redundant registry entries might improve performance? Certainly Spyhunter4 did for me, until its run-time became so lengthy I found it unbearable. (Hence my interest in SpeedZooka) In any event eset themselves market a malware removal product too.

Yes it is absolutely true, I use ccleaner myself, but not to speed up my PC but to keep it "fresh". No, old registry entries are rarely the cause to a slow PC. But I remove them anyway since I don't need them and they don't need me.

If you have a slow PC and use one of these tools, yes it might improve the speed compared to how it was before you used them. But the PC will still not run any faster than it did the day it was brand new. So no, the actual system performance when using applications will not be any better after using any of these tools. Compared to if you would replace a HDD with an SSD. Or an Intel i3 with an i7. Or go from 2gb to 8gb etc etc.

Finally, when you guys are trying to help Mr/Miss Average User (and old dinosaurs like me), it would help if you identified the issue... I realised where Linda50 was coming from as soon as she posted, "Here is where I saw the software download.cnet/speedzooka/3000-18512_4-76047568.html". In my experience cnet has always punctuated its main pages with added download buttons to push so-called freebie software. I think it's their primary revenue stream?

I very much doubt that is their primary revenue stream, they also have ads on the site last time I checked, and they are owned by CBS/CBS Interactive so money is no problem there. They don't need to be in the PUA business, but they probably see it as a way to make juuuuust a little bit more money. The greedy bastards ruined a great reliable download site. 

This post is only my opinion. Cheers!

Edited by SweX

Apparently the zooka bums have posted that they are a partner of Sony and finally added an image logo of Sony on their page, which makes no sense.

Hi Swex,

Thank you for your prompt reply. All advice noted, although not all can now be acted upon a laptop 2+ years old. I would not fall for ads offering to "... run any faster than it did the day it was brand new.", and I do not think Zooka are claiming this?  I still have an original back-up, but have added some software by choice, not to mention a number of microsoft and harware manufacturer updates.

In truth my only issues with speed are increased run times for back ups and AV scans. I suspect these are due to an ever increasing number of temporary files? I always clear browser history from the year dot, but as you will know other applications produce redundant temp files.  I no longer feel confident to work through file manager (Windows explorer) and delete these manually.

My main concern is unwanted advertising and tracking cookies plus other malware.  I stream a lot of sport on my laptop, some from 'unofficial sites', and suspect this is the primary source?  I'll give CCleaner a try when my Spyhunter licence ends.

Thanks,

Reg

Hi Reg.

Yes it's good to make backups but how often one should make them is up to each person to decide for various reasons. Perhaps the best thing with having a backup is in the case of an infection or hardware failure and using a backup depending on what type of backup software you use will most likely get rid of the infection as well. But one can also do a backup before installing a program so one have something fresh to fall back on, just in case.

CCleaner is Free so you can give it a try right away no need to wait until your Spyhunter license runs out, and please consider to not renew your Spyhunter license. It is a software one should stay away from. Despite how good they claim it is and what not. It's junk. This is just one link I can post more if you like, there is loads and loads more available to read if you search around. Their advertising clearly works!

Sorry to read that you were tricked by this companies false advertising that their tool was free. The company has a shady past.

hxxp://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_scanning/how-can-i-remove-spyhunter-from-my-computer/36bbdb89-6088-4f4d-a0bb-88ed40611b08

Yes cookies(including tracking cookies) is indeed used on most sites, unlike normal cookies, tracking cookies can be used to aim a special ad just for you in your browser(I see that daily myself), so let's say you visit a site about cars, and then the next day you visit another site about technology then you could see ads on that site about cars since the ad network knows that you are interested in cars if the site have ads of that type. Scary, well maybe a little if you see to the privacy, but there are add-ons you can install in your browser wich will help against this if you want. 

And this is where CCleaner comes into the picture it may not clean as deep and detailed as some of the other "cleaners" but that is one of the reasons why it is one of the safest cleaners one can use. I run a scan with CCleaner everyday when I am done with the internet for the day. It cleans not only website cookies, but also flash player cookies etc etc... and other software you may have install that might have data that can be cleaned as well. Before you use it be sure to read the text next to each "checkbox" and uncheck those that you don't want to be cleaned out. For example if you have "browser history" ticked then the browser history will be gone next time you start the browser. And about the registry cleaner, be careful with it and don't delete anything unless you are sure it's safe to delete. I personally find it useful after having uninstalled a software for example.

As a bonus, it includes a very useful features wich can be used for those auto startup's we talked about before, but same here, don't disable or delete any startup entries if you're not sure what software it belongs to.

If you want to try CCleaner then download the "Slim build" found at the bottom on this page wich includes no unexpected presents: hxxp://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Edited by SweX

Apparently the zooka bums have posted that they are a partner of Sony and finally added an image logo of Sony on their page, which makes no sense.

Partners in what way, and why. Install this to "speed up" your Sony software or what? Stupid.

Hi Swex,

Installed and ran CCleaner yesterday. Sadly, at the time I had no tracking cookies to remove, so could not compare directly with Spyhunter; but it has recovered 3.3 GB of of space.

Thank you for your advice. Have you purchased or would you recommend the purchase of CCleaner Pro or Pro+?

Best regards,

Reg

Hi again Reg.  :)

Sounds good.

And like Arakasi says, no you don't need to buy the Pro version, though I do think that this little tool is worth to pay a few $$$ for incase there would be no Free version. Or if Piriform adds "unwanted" stuff in the free version such as popup ads or something similar, then I would consider to buy the Pro version, but at the moment the Free version is really all you need. 

Edited by SweX