Incomplete In-Depth Scan

Since the latest update to v11 (on 3.19.18), when I run an In-depth scan (manually activated), it is now only scanning about 425,000 objects in about 30 minutes. Prior to the 3.19.18 update,  it would take about 2 hours and scan about 2.1 million objects. This is disturbingly similar to what I reported to ESET US Support (there is an open case I believe) back in Nov 2017 (I think) where scheduled In-depth scans were also abbreviated (again after a module update). As a matter of fact it appears to be identical. I have verified my settings for the In-depth scan. I can provide the case # if necessary. I sent Support a e-mail previously and did not receive a reply. I just sent another one today. Last I heard on 12.4.17 was "I will send you an update once I have further results from this latest build" (which was 11.0.154.0). I thought I posted something about this previously on the forum, but as of now I cannot locate it. The machine is Win 7 with EIS installed (11.0.159.9).

This appears to have not been addressed. Perhaps another user can quantify my results.

Edited by TomFace

• Administrators

If you compare the number of scanned files, please always disable Smart optimization to rule out the possibility that files were skipped thanks to various optimization techniques applied on trusted or already scanned files that we use.

What you could try:
1, Enabling logging of all scanned files and comparing the logs after 2 subsequent scans.
2, Between the scans switch to pre-release updates and back to invalidate cached records.

Anyways, with Smart optimization disabled step 2 should have no effect on the number of scanned files.

Smart Optimization is not enabled. I could enable logging, but I now cannot get EIS to scan all 2.1M files, so I could not compare 2 "new" scan logs. Previously (when I opened the trouble ticket) it was only occurring on a scheduled In-depth scan. What I have been doing to achieve my desired result, was manually initiating a custom (administrator) scan. But now that is not scanning all the files as it was previous to the latest update.

In reviewing the logs I can compare, I do see no password protected files that weren't able to be opened since the 3.19.18 update. I see many unopened password protected files in the logs prior to the 3.19.18 update. But just by a rough estimate, they nowhere nearly add up to a difference of 1.675M files.   

5ab11a197b1ff_Scans3_20_18.thumb.jpg.91b2ba75b49ee113af06cdbcce82240c.jpg

I do think something may be amiss. I am awaiting Support to get back to me so I can advise them of this latest turn in events.

Edited by TomFace

• Administrators

In your screen shot, the first two records don't have the "Scanned folders" column completely visible but I assume that all drives C: - I: are listed there. Please confirm.

Also I'd like to ask you to generate a complete application dump during a scan via the advanced setup -> tools - > diagnostics - create. Make sure that the dump type is set to full. When done, collect logs with ELC, upload the generated archive to a safe location and drop me a pm with a download link.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:51 AM, Marcos said:

In your screen shot, the first two records don't have the "Scanned folders" column completely visible but I assume that all drives C: - I: are listed there. Please confirm.

Also I'd like to ask you to generate a complete application dump during a scan via the advanced setup -> tools - > diagnostics - create. Make sure that the dump type is set to full. When done, collect logs with ELC, upload the generated archive to a safe location and drop me a pm with a download link.

Marcos, not sure what to tell you but as of today BOTH manual/on demand/in-depth and scheduled In-depth scans are now scanning all files. This issue started late last year with scheduled in-depth scans being restricted. I have not heard back on the trouble ticket opened Nov (?) 2017 (2nd request with no reply:angry:) so I do not know if something occurred because of that. I have be playing around with the on-demand scans the past few days to see what's what. With the version update on 3.19.18, the manual on-demand in-depth scans also became restricted. So I guess (for the moment) all appears to be well. I'll see what happens in the next few days. You can see the # of files scanned in the attached. I changed nothing in EIS set-up. By the way, all scans showed zero infected/cleaned files.

5ab2b1a507672_UpdatedScans3_21_18.thumb.jpg.a246a6c2c3152009fb5710188978e5da.jpg

Edited by TomFace

Hi Tom.  Been a while.

I had some issues as well.  What i done (did) is basic & you have probably covered this.

When i do an in depth scan - i  -klik - advanced scan/Custom scan.  A window come up.  i U klik  computer scan.  I than press the settings logo in U. R. corner & select IN DEPTH SCAN.  I than klik MY PC  (in window - to the L.)

For this to work, my default is set to system scan.

Hope this makes sense - like i said - you have probably done all this.  cheers.

Hello jems....good to see you again.:) I hope all is well on your end.

For my scheduled scans I always use an In-depth scan. This keeps my OCD satisfied. :D

https://support.eset.com/kb3207/

As I am currently using 11.0.159.9 and the in-depth scans are now working, I hope nothing changes with the version upgrade to 11.1.42 :unsure:

https://forum.eset.com/topic/15027-eset-internet-security-v1101599-update-to-v11142/?do=findComment&comment=74591

Edited by TomFace
Added forthcoming update

• 2 weeks later...

Well the in-program update came through and I updated to 11.1.42.1 and guess what? The issue with the In-depth scan NOT scanning all the files (scheduled or on demand) is now back:angry::angry::angry:. What in blazes is going on:huh:?

This is getting very old and tiring. I still have a trouble ticket open (for many months now).

I have advised support of the same.

Edited by TomFace

Just an update...so far this week, ALL in-depth scans (real time on demand and scheduled) appear to be scanning correctly.