How does ESET Nod 32 search for windows updates?

bsquared

So I have had ESET Nod 32 for 3 years now, across 2 operating systems (Windows 8.1 and 10).

I am not worried about the performance or good-ness of the software.  In fact I think it's great!

Windows 10, on the other hand, is quite annoying.  One of my biggest issues with the OS is its annoying ability to install updates when it feels like it.  

....which is why I found a 3rd party tool which blocks communication between the system and the Windows Update servers...

However, I am curious to know how ESET Nod 32 checks for updates even when my system can't communicate with the update servers?

Anyone know how it does this?  

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, Marcos said:

Information about available Windows updates is gathered from the operating system.

From which part. Sometimes it will find updates that windows update or nowhere else seems to find but it must be getting it from.somewhere 

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

I believe the information is obtained through WMI repository, which is local to the computer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Edited by Aryeh Goretsky
fixed a typo

I will add this suggestion in regards to Eset's Win Update checking. Please delay its checking till 5 mins. or so after boot time. On my Win 10 1709 build, Win updating does not occur immediately after boot time but a few minutes thereafter. The result is Eset shows the notification prior to actual Win Updating occurring.

Edited by itman