Previously with v10 (and before) my in-depth scans would take around 2 hours and scan 2M (approx.) files/items/whatevers. Now with EIS v11 my in-depth scan take around 22 minutes and only scan about 420,000 whatevers.

What gives? My scan selections (as far as I can tell) are the same. Any ideas? I use Win 7 x64.

Update 3:36PM EDT 10.26.17

Decided to do a custom scan...same targets but scan as Administrator and it is still running...so far 1836681 files/items and 1H 14mins. I am the Admin of my system.

Edited by TomFace

Do you have "enable smart optimization" enabled in the advanced settings in the on demand  computer scan?

Mine were set enabled by default. Must disable that.  Then it scan every files on all the drives.

4 minutes ago, Corso said:

Do you have "enable smart optimization" enabled in the advanced settings in the on demand  computer scan?

Mine were set enabled by default. Must disable that.  Then it scan every files on all the drives.

No smart optimization set...only use that for a quickie scan. Always use in-depth for on demand and threat detection scans. Been that way for years (set in my ways):P.

Edited by TomFace

1 hour ago, TomFace said:

Update 3:36PM EDT 10.26.17

Decided to do a custom scan...same targets but scan as Administrator and it is still running...so far 1836681 files/items and 1H 14mins. I am the Admin of my system.

This is always how I did an in depth scan - as Admin. Otherwise, many system files are locked for access and Eset skips them as such.

3 hours ago, itman said:

This is always how I did an in depth scan - as Admin. Otherwise, many system files are locked for access and Eset skips them as such.

Have not had this issue before when setting up a scheduled scan...final count was 2069351 at 2 hours 10 minutes. I will review my scheduled scan settings (again)<_<.

Edited by TomFace

OK....I have reviewed my scheduled scan settings and am still getting a cursory  scan (400,000 or so items) instead of an in-depth scan (2M+ items). Smart scan is NOT enabled in my in-depth scan profile...pretty much everything is set to default for that profile.

So what do I have to do? :unsure:

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:02 PM, itman said:

This is how I also run an in depth scan. 

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 4:02 PM, itman said:

I do not see a selection choice to "run as administrator" when setting up my scheduled scan. Where is it pray tell?

In previous versions (up to 11) I do not believe there was a choice to "run as administrator" when setting up a scheduled in-depth scan....it just checked all the files automatically. It's was that way for years/many versions.

Edited by TomFace

7 hours ago, TomFace said:

I do not see a selection choice to "run as administrator" when setting up my scheduled scan. Where is it pray tell?

In previous versions (up to 11) I do not believe there was a choice to "run as administrator" when setting up a scheduled in-depth scan....it just checked all the files automatically. It's was that way for years/many versions.

That is a good question, as I do not ever use scheduled scans, but run on demand scans when my system has down time to do so. Upon looking, I see no option to do so.

Edited by illumination

13 hours ago, TomFace said:

Don't know if a scheduled scan as full admin is possible. If set up to conform to Windows UAC security provisions, it would trigger a UAC prompt before being allowed to run. Eset would have to create a Win scheduled task and set it up to run as "hidden."

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, TomFace said:

Think I'll open a ticket with US Support. I will post their reply here when received.

If it is not possible might be worth putting it in the suggestion post

• Most Valued Members
1 minute ago, Daedalus said:

You can enable "idle state scanning" in EIS

eset idle state scanning.png

I believe the issue is with scheduling a task - the user wants to schedule a task at a specific time but also scanning with administrative privileges which doesn't seem possible.

16 hours ago, TomFace said:

45 minutes ago, peteyt said:

I believe the issue is with scheduling a task - the user wants to schedule a task at a specific time but also scanning with administrative privileges which doesn't seem possible.

You're spot on peteyt.;) 

I may be getting older but (most) of my memory is still intact:P:D:lol: (but a couple other things may not work:unsure:).

Edited by TomFace

Actually, your best option is to enable idle state scanning as previously suggested. I forgot I have it enable and it does indeed scan all files.

Edited by itman

16 hours ago, itman said:

Actually, your best option is to enable idle state scanning as previously suggested. I forgot I have it enable and it does indeed scan all files.

I have idle state enabled....here is Support's reply....

Update for Case #XXXXX - "Progissue - Otherprog"

An ESET Technical Support Representative has updated this case with the following information:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting ESET North America Technical Support. To troubleshoot this issue further, please use our uninstaller tool to remove ESET and any older remnants and reinstall the ESET program. After completing a clean installation., please contact us back if an in-depth scan (not as admin) does not scan all files.

For illustrated instructions to manually uninstall your ESET product, visit:

http://support.eset.com/zap/kb2289/

==========
REINSTALL
==========

After you have completely uninstalled your ESET product, you can reinstall your ESET product. For illustrated instructions to reinstall, visit :

http://support.eset.com/zap/kb2788/

Edited by TomFace

2 hours ago, TomFace said:

here is Support's reply....

Appears they didn't understand the issue at all. Not surprised by this since I had "to go around multiple times" with them in my previous inquiries.

There might be another possibility in regards to your in-depth scheduled scan. That is the in-depth scan is indeed scanning all files but not updating scan file count for files that are locked and can't be accessed. Actually this is the way it should have been from day one. No reason including in the scan count files that were in reality not scanned. I have installed Win 10 on one drive and Win XP on another drive. When I do an in-depth scan, my scan count is 331,065. Sounds low to me. Also I have seen idle time scan counts higher than this in protection statistics.

Same results after uninstall & re-install

Log
Number of scanned objects: 409874

Log
Time of completion: 2:23:00 PM  Total scanning time: 1372 sec (00:22:52)

Just referred it back to ESET Support.

Here is the latest from ESET US Support:

(I am not sure if I'll receive any more updates from Support. If I do I will post them here)

Update for Case #XXXXX - "Progissue - Otherprog"

An ESET Technical Support Representative has updated this case with the following information:

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. We needed to rule out the issue with the scan file count was not due to a corrupted product update from v10 to v11.

We did some internal testing with this after your reply and was able to reproduce the issue on our test environment. In older versions of ESET that "scan to administrator" was there when scanning your computer from a standard user account.

We have escalated this issues to our developers for further analysis.

Thank you for using ESET security products,
ESET Technical Support

North America

Edited by TomFace

• 1 month later...

Still been communicating with support. Here is the latest reply. They are sticking with it!:) Kudos to Support!

Got a reply....Today at 9:54 AM

Hello Tom,

Thanks for checking in.

While completing internal testing, we produced inconsistent results over the time span of 15 days. 

On some systems, the number of scanned files during a scheduled scan were higher in version 11.0.149.0, and on others, the number of scanned files were higher in version 10.1.235.0. I used Windows 7 and Windows 10 VMs for internal testing, utilizing ESET Internet Security for each test. 

Last week on Friday, December the 1st, our developers released a new build of V11, 11.0.154.0. Today, I will be completing additional testing, as this latest build contains several new fixes and corrections. 

I will send you an update once I have further results from this latest build. 

Thank you for your continued time and patience while we test this matter,

Edited by TomFace