Policy Updates Not Getting Applied

aaron8375

Hi all, I'm new to using ESET so this may very well just be due to being a novice, but heres my problem:

I installed ESET on my primary work PC, (which is a brilliant idea when testing out new software lol), and I quickly ran into a problem where I would make changes to the ESET policy but it didn't seem to want to apply to my computer right away.  It seems like it would only apply after a couple of reboots.  I'm more familiar with Kaspersky and never had any issues with editing policies and having them get applied quickly - but in ESET's Remote Administration page I can't figure out how to even tell if a specific computer has the latest policy update.  I can't find anywhere in the end computer's ESET GUI that confirms it is connected to ESET RA either which was always obvious in Kaspersky because it would add a message that the settings are configured via a policy.

This is making it difficult to test policy changes because I have no clue if the changes were applied to the end computer or not.  What is the best way to tell from a specific end computer/server that it is connected to ESET RA with the most up to date policy?  Is there a way to force policy updates to be applied to their assigned devices?

• Administrators

If a policy is applied, the settings set by the policy will appear locked (with a padlock icon) on clients.

You can also check in client details when the client has connected to the ERAS last time. With each connection, agent also downloads policies assigned to dynamic groups. If the agent determines that the computer fulfills conditions for a particular dynamic group, the policies assigned to the dynamic group will be applied.

I think I may have installed the agent incorrectly then because I'm not seeing the padlock on the GUI in the computers I have it installed, but according to ESET RA they are assigned to a policy.

I installed it by creating an 'all-in-one' package to install both the Endpoint Security as well as the agent.  Is there a way to check how the agent is configured on the end device?  I'm wondering if the settings I initially created are incorrect.  

• Administrators

Do you see the computer in a specific dynamic group in the ERA console? If you check the client details, is the time of the last connection recent? You can also check C:\ProgramData\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Agent\EraAgentApplicationData\Logs\status.html on the client for possible connection errors.

Both say they are connected, but what I can't figure out is that on my primary PC I cannot uninstall the Remote Agent.  When I go to uninstall it says I don't have Administrator privileges, then it asks for a password which I initially had in the policy but have since removed.  I can't get Outlook to connect so I just wanted to remove it but it won't let me, not sure if this is the old policy blocking it or what.  Endpoint Security removes just fine, but I still have Outlook issues with the agent installed.

• Administrators

It's weird that you cannot remove agent if Endpoint is not installed on the machine. Could you confirm that the driver C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ehdrv.sys does not exist any more?

Anyways, Agent cannot affect Outlook in any way so the issue seems unrelated.

Well I reinstalled both and uninstalled again and that seemed to fix it...as for uninstalling the agent I didn't realize that the password field is optional.  I left it blank and it removed without issue.  I'm so used to Kaspersky where it only asks for the password if one was set, if it wasn't set in the policy it doesn't ask for it during the uninstallation.  Still not sure why Outlook stopped working earlier but it seems to be okay now.