Constant BSOD with Smart Security 7...

I have used NOD32 for years without issue. About 2 months ago I purchased Smart Security 6 and it ran fine. I recently upgraded to version 7 and about 20 minutes after upgrading I got my first BSOD. Numerous reboots resulted in BSODs usually in about 20 minutes to 1 hour.

I did a full uninstall and ran a register cleaner then reinstalled it from scratch and about 5 minutes later it BSOD'd again.

I'm using Windows Vista 64. The BCCode shown was 3b after each crash. System is totally stable after uninstalling it again.

Any suggestions besides the usual "update drivers" etc? (which I've already done)

Windows defender is running but that's it.

This is the dump report:

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini102613-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x57150)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002525B55, 0xFFFFFA600B6F6C40, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

This was the error listed every single time (10+ times) but I did see error code 7f ONCE which is below:

"crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini102613-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x57150)
Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0x80050031, 0x6F8, 0xFFFFF800022F4428)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time."

• Administrators

Please send me the minidump attached to a personal message. If you can reproduce the crash at any time, configure Windows to generate complete memory dumps. When a crash occurs, compress the memory dump, upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link.

I will send you the minidump.

I've done some more research through the minidump files that I have and it appears the conflict is with spotify. (edit: maybe not)

I've had spotify installed on my computer for probably a year now but there seems to be some conflict with it and ESS7 because that instantly causes issues.

Edit: looked through some more minidumps from the crashes and dwm.exe and lcore.exe is also listed and a few others...not just spotify. false alarm. I imagine it's ESS7 crashing as it scans a variety of files.

Edited by Curious

I have the same problem.

Ran the upgrade from ESET SS ver 6 on 27 October 2013 and it installed fine.

When I try to access Outlook or any other program for that matter I get the BSOD.

It refers to 'PAGE FAULT WITH NON PAGE AREA'. It doesn't list any drivers or files causing the problem.

I'm running XP Pro SP3 on a Toshiba Netbook NB200.

Just like the originator, everything ran fine until the upgrade.

More annoyingly, I have installed ver 7 on the laptop which I used to make this reply (IBM ThinkPad R50e) which runs XP Home SP3, and it runs as normal (i.e. no problems), and also on another desktop running XP Pro SP3, again no problems.

I tried to uninstall the upgrade to ver 7 via System restore, but this has not worked. I'm now faced with an error stating eset cannot connect to Antivirus service.

Of course there is no way of downloading version 6 now. Not as far as I can see.

I had an old copy of version 5, which I re-intstalled, and it runs fine, as long as the option to upgrade program components is unchecked. By doing that I only get the definitions.

There is clearly a problem with this product, and I'm now scared to apply the upgrade to my Win 7 Pro desktop. I have 4 licences with ESET and I am now considering moving elsewhere in Apr 2014.

What are the differences between 6 and 7?

Locate my laptop function could well be the culprit. Is this accessing the BIOS to locate unique identifiers ?.

On another note, when I access this site it says there is an error with the Security Certificate.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same issue. Immediate BSoD during the ESET 7 Installer run.  Windows 8.1.

My machine was unbootable after that.  I had to do a System Restore which rolled back many software packages. I've been catching up again.

Sent a message to ESET Support and received a response suggesting I fully uninstall and reinstall rather than upgrade. Why does ESET have such a good update process, and nice pretty Update buttons if we aren't supposed to use them?

In case I'm misunderstanding, here is the meaty part of the Support response:

"We apologize for the errors that the upgrade has caused you. In the future, we recommend uninstalling any previous version of ESET first, then installing the latest one from our website.
If this resolves your issue or if you need further assistance, please let us know by replying to this email."

I replied.

Pwhittemore.
Sorry for your troubles.
Just here to help, but could you try running the ESET uninstaller tool from safe mode and report back if anything else was listed besides ESET?
I would also have your memory dumps and kernal dumps from your bsod saved and ready with a sysinspector log should Marcos or Peter ask for them. :)

*I would hold up on removing ESET with the uninstaller. I am curious to if any previous security files may be existing, as a test that may have files related to your network adapter.

Performing a clean uninstall will wipe out any evidence ESET may need for research.

Or you could save the dumps and sysinspector log NOW. :)

ESET uninstaller is located on this page : hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=soln2289

Edited by Arakasi

I have the SysInspector log zip and the dmp file from after the System Restore after the BSoD, before uninstalling anything more. So it's ESET 6 at this point.  I'm going through the process now to uninstall, clean up.

The uninstaller reports:

1. ESS/EAV/ESMX

2. SEP

3. Symantex LiveUpdate

I'm not sure what SEP is (Windows Firewall?) and definitely not sure why LiveUpdate is there. It does not show in installed software, nor do I have ANY Symantec stuff installed. This is a fairly recent Windows 8.0 fresh install (new SSD) and then 8.1 upgrade so I'm really confused about how LiveUpdate got on there.  (If it's really LiveUpdate.)

Okay, I just looked up SEP too. SYMANTEC Endpoint Protection?  Really? Okay going to uninstall them all. Restart, then try the ESET7 installation.

Wish me luck, I'm going in...

could you please upload the dump and SysInspector log (packed) and provide me with download link, so we can check it?

I could but I will need a private way to send it (such as an email address or private forum message) as I don't know how much personal info is in the DMP file. The SysInspector log is incredibly thorough too but looks okay, still I'd like to post a link and send you a password privately, or at least email an unsecure link privately.  Is there a way to DM/PM you on this forum?

Also as a followup, the installation of ESET 7 went well, no problems at all, after I had used the uninstall to clear the existing 3 items. It completed without incident and I'm running a full scan now.

EDIT: Spotted the DM feature.  Will DM you a download link for use by any staff.

Edited by pwhittemore

I've sent Peter the links to the files.  Since running the uninstaller tool on all 3 of the installed AV installations, and a fresh ESET 7 installation succeeded, I consider this now resolved for me, unless there's some other way I can help investigate it further.

Thanks for the fast answers, ESET folk!  (I've been an ESET user for many years, after having tried many others. ESET has been the only completely reliable package for me, for years, until now, and this is looking like a Symantec problem to me.)

Awesome pwhittemore

Glad your fixed up.

My theory would be symantec had its tight grasp around your network adapters and would not let ESET take hold for their own firewall, thus causing your bsod. This is the easy explanation and i may also be completely wrong.

Thanks for keeping your memory dumps and sysinspector log for ESET employees.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

it is just minidump, I'm not able to find the cause of the BOSD in the dump

WinDBG: "The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL"

"Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE )"

So we would need another dump, full or at least kernel dump to find root cause of the issue.

P.S.

I'm glad pwhittemore that you have sorted it out by clean installation.

FYI, it seems issues are not yet resolved after all.  With no AV software listed by the uninstaller tool, I reinstalled ESET 7 and all seemed well.

However I have since found that Windows Update is reporting error 80070005 when it gets to the installation part.  Searches for that error seem to indicate issues related to anti-virus software. 

Also Skype cannot log in due to "disk I/O error", which again is very unusual and consistent with AV software.

I've done a few System Restores now, trying to find a stable "before" environment to build on, but no luck with that.  I may have to do a full fresh reinstall to continue.  I think the BSoD during the ESET 7 installation left some nasty issues that aren't corrected by the uninstall or the System Restore operations.

Anyway, be careful out there.  Putting my story out there just in case anyone else reports issues similar to these symptoms.

Also I should mention that on my latest System Restore attempt (to the ESET 6 installation prior to the upgrade), the A/V component failed to load it's configuration.  I'm thinking it has been upgraded to ESET 7 and the configuration files cannot be read by ESET 6 (i.e. a one-way change). 

Windows Update reports that it is up to date with that Restore, so I'm going to try to uninstall ESET 6 and reinstall it to see if I can't get ESET working again.  Then create a restore point and try moving forward again from there.

System Restore was repeatedly useless. What saved me was that I had full disk image backups from just before the ESET update. (Coincidentally taken that morning.)

The problem has been identified. By carefully reapplying updates from that backup point, I have identified the problem as an issue with GoldenFrog's VyprVPN 2.x upgrade.  While that upgrade is mostly a new user interface, it also updates OpenVPN to 2.3.2, and there was some kind of a problem between the two of those, in combination with a bug, but also if you attempted to start the VPN software without a system restart (which is the installer default).  It was critical to uncheck the "start now" box and restart the machine first.

As you can see here, the 2.0.1 update supposedly fixes a problem that can result in Skype reporting "disk I/O error" on logins. That was one of my symptoms.  However, I found that upgrading to 2.02 (current release) did not resolve this problem.  In fact it was almost like a virus, if you have ever run 2.0.0, even temporarily on the way to 2.0.2 (which was the case if you allowed VyprVPN to autoupdate), then you were screwed. The problem would persist even after a Windows' "System Restore" to return to a restore point taken just before the upgrade.  The key... the trick... is to download the latest VyprVPN, install it but do not start it, then reboot (without starting the VPN software).  Since restore points did not undo the problems, I was lucky to have a full disk image backup from that morning prior to the first upgrade of VyprVPN and OpenVPN, which happened to also be the evening that I upgraded ESET to version 7.  (It seems that was update day for me as several other packages were also updated, plus Windows Updates.)

So ESET is off the hook. I have updated OpenVPN and VyprVPN as described above, all was well. Then applied ESET 7 and that went well.  Windows Update is continuing to run without the earlier error code.

If you have trouble with ESET 7 installation, I advise you to check if you have VyprVPN installed (which is wonderful and has been as reliable as ESET for me until this) and/or OpenVPN installed (which may in fact be the trouble here).  Also if you have Skype login "disk I/O" errors.

I don't think the LiveUpdate or SEP installations were to blame at all; in fact they were restored by my disk image restore and I have been a bit afraid to remove them again using the ESET uninstaller now that all is working again.  (The official Symantec online instructions for uninstalling SEP are about 35 fairly complex steps.)

It was definitely either OpenVPN or VyprVPN itself.

It was definitely either OpenVPN or VyprVPN itself.

Looks like OpenVPN 2.3.2-I002 installer had a problem. The latest VyprVPN installs OpenVPN 2.3.2-I003:

"The I003 Windows installer fixes a signature problem in tap-windows driver, which prevented the driver from being installed in many cases."

hxxp://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html

Given my recent troubles, I suspect this is a major understatement.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

Please help me !  I have core i3 hp 15 laptop . I'm using windows 7 64bit .  While i'm installing eset smart security 8 64bit , suddnly screen got blue and displayed some errors in white !

Why do you think the BSOD is caused by ESS? Could you provide us with a kernel or complete memory dump from BSOD for further analysis?