Silent install of EAV 6 without ERA 6

Ondrej

Hello,

my customer si currently running ERA 5 + EAV 5. I want to silently install EAV 6 on his remote computers without access to ERA and I don't want to upgrade ERA to 6 (so export all-in-one installer is not solution). How can I do it? I would like to have something like with EAV 5 = XML with activation code included. I don't want to manually copy activation code to all computers...

Thank you!

I do not want to manage EAV 6 with ERA at all. I also don't want to upgrade my ERA 5 to ERA 6.

I just want to make silent manual installation of EAV 6 - start setup, click next, next, finish, enter activation code, activate - nothing more...

• Administrators

This is not possible. On how many machines do you plan to install Endpoint v6 on? If you don't want to have them managed, are you looking for a solution that would allow for putting a license key (sensitive information) to an xml that you would distribute to users? Something like that is not possible and probably will never be as we don't want to provide unauthorized persons with sensitive information.

What you could do is temporarily deploying ERA OVA to create all-in-one installer, however, it would also contain the ERA agent which would be installed and would attempt to report to ERA then.

By the way, could you please clarify why the customer is currently using ERA v5 but does not want to use ERA after upgrading to EPv6? If we better understand real scenarios in which our users use ERA or Endpoint, we can better react to your needs.

I want to install 20 desktops this way. Putting sensitive activation info into XML (like it is possible with EAV 5) is not problem for me - deployment will run under my supervision from network share and computers will be distributed to users after completing this operation.

It is a pity this scenarios is not supported. Therefore, I will put "timeout 600" into installation script after installation of EAV 6 and enter it manually :) Nonscalable and "dirty" way, but better than EAV 5... Or do you think if I will not use ERA, then EAV 5 will make same level of protection like EAV 6? Definitions should be identical and "anti-ransomware HIPS template" will not be applicable without ERA...

• ESET Staff

ERA 6.4 (and the same is valid for ERA 6.5) allows to generate the all in one installer Endpoint / ERA agent with included license.

With ERA 6.5 we will also provide a standalone deployment tool, that will allow to perform a remote installation of those packages. However, as of now, it is not possible to create package without ERA Agent outside ERA. This means, that as of now we do not provide option to generate installer of Endpoint with embedded license without the ERA agent.  

This functionality is planned for later this year (Q3 or Q4/2017). 

However, as you are having the Endpoint 5 installed, what you should do is:

• Enter username / password into their configuration using ERA 5, so they have "license"
  • Install Endpoint 6 (it will overtake the license parameters and activate "silently"). 
  • I am checking with the DEV team, if the deployment tool will support also standalone .exe installers of the Endpoint 6.5, if yes, that might solve your problem (I will update this topic, as soon as this is confirmed / denied by the devs / QA). 

ERA & Endpoint 6.5 should be available by the end of February. 

• ESET Staff

Concerning your second topic, from the protection perspective, the EES 6 is far better than EES 5, as it contains more protection components than the previous version. Please check this KB article which shows the differences: http://support.eset.com/kb6267/.

Also, many of the issues reported to us in V5 were fixed in V6 + it is also more future proof, as we will switch V5 to "limited support" soon (no support for newer operating systems). 

Edited by MichalJ

Thank you for information about your future plans. I suppose I will upgrade to ERA 6 at this customer soon (new ERA 6.5 could be that impulse).

Upgrading installed EAV 5 with login and password in XML to EAV 6 sounds like possible way - thank you.

I had some success using method below to deploy EEA 6.4 silently to clients with license, you're welcome to try:

create an "install.ini" file with following content and put it in the same folder of EEA 6.4 MSI:

[Property]
INSTALLED_BY_ERA=1
ACTIVATION_DATA=key:<your 20 letter license key>

Then use your standard MSI installation scripts to do the installation, install.ini will get picked up by the installer as long as they're in the same folder.

Keep in mind that this is an undocumented feature so results may vary, also obviously this requires connection to ESET servers in order for activation to work.

Edited by V2TW