Is Remote Administrator Proxy necessary for branch office with 1 computer?

I have successfully deployed ERA Server 6.3 in main office. Unfortunately for me company has 3 computers in 2 branch offices. I installed ERA Agents 6.4 in every branch office computer and configure them to communicate with ERA Server in main office trough internet connection with ports 2222 and 2223 redirected by router. I can say that status reporting and applying policies remotely works (so there is both-direction communication), but from the moment I installed ERA Agents virus signature update stopped working. I receive "server connection error" notification. Trying to apply specific update server address for NOD (by policy) didn't solve the issue. Do you think that deploying proxy server for branch office with 1 computer is absolutely necessary for virus signature update to work, or there should be specific policy applied for branch office computers?

Best regards

I have 180 computers in remote offices  - they are all remote, when compared to the ERA. And I don't use proxy in any of them. Signature updates just get downloaded from ERA across the internet, and they are usually small so we are not worried about our bandwidth.

• ESET Staff

I have successfully deployed ERA Server 6.3 in main office. Unfortunately for me company has 3 computers in 2 branch offices. I installed ERA Agents 6.4 in every branch office computer and configure them to communicate with ERA Server in main office trough internet connection with ports 2222 and 2223 redirected by router. I can say that status reporting and applying policies remotely works (so there is both-direction communication), but from the moment I installed ERA Agents virus signature update stopped working. I receive "server connection error" notification. Trying to apply specific update server address for NOD (by policy) didn't solve the issue. Do you think that deploying proxy server for branch office with 1 computer is absolutely necessary for virus signature update to work, or there should be specific policy applied for branch office computers?

Best regards

Please verify whether there are no configuration policies applied to endpoints that could cause failure - especially HTTP proxy may cause this in case it is not reachable from client computers.

When you try to update virus signature manually, does it work? In case no, is there any error code shown?

PS: deploying ERA Proxy won't help at all as this proxy is used to redirect only AGENT-to-SERVER communication which seems to work in your case.

• ESET Staff

What you have to check is, that how are your updates configured. If you have installed the ESET Remote Administrator using all in one installer / or you use the appliance, you might have checked the option to "install apache http proxy" for updates caching. This creates policies for your agents / endpoints, which instructs them to download updates via http proxy server which is located on the ERA server. The proxy might not be reachable from the remote machines. So check, what policies are applied on the group "all". If there is a policy for "ESET Secuity Product for Windows - HTTP Proxy usage", please make sure, that you create a new policy , where you change those settings (adjust the value in "tools / proxy server" and in the "update profile" to connect directly to ESET servers). Ideally change this also for policies for agents, located in those remote computers. This should resolve your issue.

In fact this was installation done by all-in-one installer, so suspecting proxy settings issue was accurate. After applying suggested changes update process started to work. Thank you very much for help - problem is solved.