Confused on ESET Multi-Device Licensing

I currently have a copy of ESET Multi-Device. It expires later this year. I can use up to 10 PCs on my current license.

My question is: The wording on some of the boxes (possible older versions) seems confusing. Such as this Amazon item:

hxxp://www.amazon.com/ESET-Multi-Device-Security-2014-Android/dp/B00ISW63N0

It looks at though it is only for 5 PCs and 5 Androids. (ex: can't use it on 6 PCs).

Here is a review from PCMag. Look at the Cons section and what he says:

hxxp://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2498731,00.asp

So my question is: How does multi-device work? Did the policy change throughout the versions? If I were to buy the Amazon copy, would I get a full 10 PC/Android of installs on whatever I want?

Thanks!

Update: I just looked at my current license and per ESET's license email they sent me, it does say I can install it on up to 5 PCs, but I have installed it on more than 5 with no problems....I'm so confused  :wacko:

Edited by mar122999

"Update: I just looked at my current license and per ESET's license email they sent me, it does say I can install it on up to 5 PCs, but I have installed it on more than 5 with no problems....I'm so confused"

You may not have any issues...yet.

Afaik, the problem is not that you are able to actually install the product, but (in short) allow updates to be downloaded to more computers than your license is good for which should be against the EULA* ?

Afaik, you could probably install the product on e.g 20 PC that are always offline, never connected to the internet, and no one would ever find out since they are offline - and of course the product would be "out of date" forever. But if you let the product on those 20PC (using a 5 PC license) download updates from ESET's servers, then something will eventually happen.....Installing is one thing, but keeping the product up to date by letting it download updates is also key obviously, ESET surely has systems in place to keep track of this.

* I imagine it is against the EULA (like most people I have not read it) to install it on more PC's than what the license is good for, I only wanted to point out that software -> updates/license verification servers plays a role. And since this product requires an internet connection for updates and to also take advantage of LiveGrid, it would be of no use on those offline PCs. Again, ESET surely has systems in place to keep track of this and will take action when needed.

But if I know my license is good for 5 PCs then why would I install the product on a 6'th PC only to see if it is possible and/or what would happen. I am pretty sure that if something would happen, it would not be in my favor as I was the one that did wrong.

This does not answer your question on PC vs. Android, but since some of these license offers/packages tend to be a regional thing and may differ between the U.S., europe, asia etc... I will not try to figure that out.

I don't know, but since you first thought that your license was good for 10PCs, but turned out to be good only for 5PCs, some changes/clarification in the license information that customers receive by email after purchase may be needed, to prevent and help customers from making this type of (minor) mistakes. :unsure:

"Update: I just looked at my current license and per ESET's license email they sent me, it does say I can install it on up to 5 PCs, but I have installed it on more than 5 with no problems....I'm so confused"

Afaik, the problem is not that you are able to actually install the product, but (in short) allow updates to be downloaded to more computers than your license is good for which should be against the EULA* ?

Afaik, you could probably install the product on e.g 20 PC that are always offline, never connected to the internet, and no one would ever find out since they are offline - and of course the product would be "out of date" forever. But if you let the product on those 20PC (using a 5 PC license) download updates from ESET's servers, then something will eventually happen.....Installing is one thing, but keeping the product up to date by letting it download updates is also key obviously, ESET surely has systems in place to keep track of this.

* I imagine it is against the EULA (like most people I have not read it) to install it on more PC's than what the license is good for, I only wanted to point out that software -> updates/license verification servers plays a role. And since this product requires an internet connection for updates and to also take advantage of LiveGrid, it would be of no use on those offline PCs. Again, ESET surely has systems in place to keep track of this and will take action when needed.

But if I know my license is good for 5 PCs then why would I install the product on a 6'th PC only to see if it is possible and/or what would happen. I am pretty sure that if something would happen, it would not be in my favor as I was the one that did wrong.

This does not answer your question on PC vs. Android, but since some of these license offers/packages tend to be a regional thing and may differ between the U.S., europe, asia etc... I will not try to figure that out.

I don't know, but since you first thought that your license was good for 10PCs, but turned out to be good only for 5PCs, some changes/clarification in the license information that customers receive by email after purchase may be needed, to prevent and help customers from making this type of (minor) mistakes. :unsure:

I understand what happens when you try things. My intention is not to circumvent any license restrictions ...etc. Anyway, moving on...  <_<

The licensing gets even more confusing on ESET's order page for multidevice. It says: 

Mix-and-match, Protect up to 10 PCs/Macs/Androids   

Mix-and-match, Protect up to 6 PCs/Macs/Androids  

So from ESET's order page, it seems 10 PC mix and match is there policy now, not 5 + 5. 

Anyone else have any helpful information?

What do I think: I believe ESET had the 5 + 5 , 3 + 3 policy a couple of years ago when released, then changed it to mix and match due to the backlash it received (crazy licensing idea IMO). Now all previous and current US products are mix and match. IDK though.

Edited by mar122999

Regarding the current Multi-Device Licensing agreement, I called ESET directly by Phone to confirm I wouldn't make an erroneous purchase late last year when buying (because it actually seemed to good to be true).

I originally had a traditional single license plan for a Desktop PC. I then bought a Laptop, and had a HTC M9 which I realised could be ESET protected. The 3 device plan was only a few quid more(!) then my single license, but they confirmed the pricing was correct and the usage across any 3 device types is perfectly allowed, for a 3 license plan of course.

I have no experience with the previous Multi-Device plan, so I doubt my post is much use here, other then to confirm the current Plan is truly mix-and-match selection capable. Which I think is interesting, as I would "value" a Windows PC license more then an Android, but the Multi-Device doesn't discriminate.

• ESET Staff

Hi all,

The Amazon pages say "Multi-license" for 5 PC - 5 Android,

this means:

instead of you buying a ESET license for PC and another license to protect

devices with android, you can buy 1 only license and protect 10 devices (5 PC and 5 Android ones).

There are a lot of "ESET Multi-license" packs so depends on which one you

buy.

Yes, there is a multi-license one to protect 10 devices no matter what operating system

you use.

With that I can cover 3 PC, 2 MAC's, 4 androids, 1 linux. :)

Edited by Gonzalo Alvarez

I understand what happens when you try things. My intention is not to circumvent any license restrictions ...etc. Anyway, moving on...  <_<

Hi, I didn't meant to say that it was your intention - only that it technically is possible. And that the license email sent to customers may need some clarifications to make things clearer. Sorry if you got the wrong impression.

• Most Valued Members

I noticed for newer purchases on Multi-Device there are now two product keys issued, one for computers and one for mobile devices. That way the limits are definitely in place. I still have the older method of just the one product key for multi-device, and I have also accidentally done this.

At least it's resolved for future licenses.

Edit: I should mention that this change to two individual keys may be region specific.

Edited by planet

• ESET Insiders

Just extended my 3 PACK license to a Multi-Device 5 PACK license until 05-10-2019! Great deal and very happy with it and looking forward to all new upcoming update and - grades in the near future!!!  ;)

Cheers