Should Window's Firewall be on with Eset Smart Security 9?

• ESET Staff

Hi,

Security Center will tell you ESET Smart Security is managing the firewall part,

is normal on that way.

I don't think you need to worry about that (only if firewall alert says is Disable).

In my case, I don't but is my personal opinion.

• ESET Insiders

As long as Eset firewall is running properly, you can turn off windows firewall.

I wonder how it came to be that Windows Firewall is even on. I suspect there is a bug in Eset Smart Security for not turning it off. I think maybe Window Firewall became enabled when I disabled Eset Firewall from the tray icon, and then reenabled Eset Firewall from the tray icon. When I turned Eset Firewall back on again I assume Eset should have turned Windows Firewall back off.

• Most Valued Members

As long as Eset firewall is running properly, you can turn off windows firewall.

I wonder how it came to be that Windows Firewall is even on. I suspect there is a bug in Eset Smart Security for not turning it off. I think maybe Window Firewall became enabled when I disabled Eset Firewall from the tray icon, and then reenabled Eset Firewall from the tray icon. When I turned Eset Firewall back on again I assume Eset should have turned Windows Firewall back off.

Just looking at another post you have made about the GUI taking a long time to load as well since upgrading to v9.

Might actually be a good idea to uninstall v9 normally via add/remove programs , then run the eset uninstall tool per the guide on this page. hxxp://support.eset.com/kb2289/?locale=en_US. You need to run windows in safe mode for the tool to work properly.

Remove any remnants of v8 or v9 that are listed using the tool

Once you have done that, then re install v9 again. This will probably cure all your problems at once :)

Should Window's Firewall be on with Eset Smart Security 9? I'm being prompted by Windows Firewall, and Eset's Firewall. I'm using Windows 7X64 Ultimate.

Since your running WIN 7, the correct setting for the WIN 7 firewall is "managed by Eset Smart Security" as shown in the below screen shot:

post-6784-0-18072300-1459637458_thumb.png

In this mode, the Win firewall service is enabled and started, the Win firewall front-end that controls inbound and outbound rules monitoring are off, but the Windows Filtering Platform components of the firewall that control network settings are on.

I have had past issues with Eset SS8 and the Win 7 firewall. What permanently fixed it for me was

1. Set the Win 7 firewall to fully "on" via the Control Panel -> Windows Firewall settings.

2. Set the Win 7 firewall to default settings.

3. Make sure your Win 7 firewall network type matches that for what is set in Eset Smart Security, i.e. Public or Home Network.

4. Reboot your PC.

After the reboot, your Win 7 firewall settings should be identical to the above screen shot.

Edited by itman