ESS v9.0.349.14 & Windows 10 1511 TH2 LOCKUPS!

Go to solution Solved by heyyahblah,

Hello all,

I am posting in these forums because for years I have been using ESS security software, since my XP Machine and the days when it was called NOD32. I loved it and never had any problems with any version of ESS up until now v9. All the previous versions worked flawlessly on my computers.

Now here is the thing. I waited and waited and finally updated my system to Windows 10 TH2 OS Build 10586.71 in November. Now this is a clean install.

I realize I did a stupid thing by removing ESS v9 before making this post so I could be able to send some logs but the freezing was driving me insane that I had to remove it. So basically my problem is that with ESS v9 on some occasions when I boot up the computer it just freezes right at startup after I login. The system becomes unresponsive. The only way I can get back into the system is by holding down the power key and power down and then restart. Sometimes after the 2nd try I get in.

Now the reason I am thinking that ESET is the culprit because this is my 3rd install on this machine. Clean format install. First I thought it was a drivers issue, then I blamed and diagnosed the hardware. After doing these steps for the last 2 months and up until today I did another format and descovered that my ESS v9 is the culprit.

Now how do I know this? Well this format around, I installed nothing. I did a complete clean install from the USB ISO created by Microsoft installer. Then once I installed I added 3 programs, Firefox, Chrome and Winrar. Also added Flash for Firefox, let Windows update install all the rest by itself, drivers and etc.

This laptop is a Lenovo ThinkPad x220 series laptop. So the hardware is decent. i5-2520M CPU, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 3000. All drivers and everything are WHQL signed and work just fine, no problems in display manager.

So, I installed ESS v9, completed setup, activated trial license 30 days, reboot working OK, reboot again, working fine. Shut down, leave for a few hours, startup. Boom, frozen at desktop with the ESS logo on the desktop, system completely unresponsive.

Had to hard shut-down the computer via power button. Now this had been happening for the last 2 months and I was troubleshooting the out of the laptop, thinking its a driver error, Windows 10 error, some other software, nothing. I am not a n00b when it comes to computers so I couldn't believe it was ESS v9, it was my last resort.

Anyways, I uninstalled ESS v9 and low-and-behold!!! The system doesn't lockup anymore!!! All is back to normal. So, there is something in ESS v9 that is causing my W10 machine to freeze at boot for no apparent reason.

As I make this post I am going to install ESS v8.0.319 and activate a trial license and see how the system responds. I never had any problems with ESS v8, it always worked just fine. I went to v9 because I figured new Windows (w10) I should update the software to ESS v9 for Windows 10 because its probably made for it.

So I am going to keep this thread active and see how it goes. As it stands now, ESS v9 has been removed from my system, I have no A/V and the computer is not freezing at all. I am booting up, shutting down, restarting, everything, no freezes. This is now my 4th clean format and quite frankly I am sick of formatting the computer trying to troubleshoot it, thinking it was something else.

I will monitor this for 24h and proceed to install ESS v8 and see what happens to my system. As far as I stand ESS v9 is locking up my computer because as soon as I removed it, the freezing stopped.

This is an official release of Windows 10 PRO v1511, no insider editions nothing. And no other software or drivers have been installed. I have left this as basic as possible, to see what is causing the freezing at boot. So far no ESET, no freeze, so its starting to make me really wonder about ESS v9 and W10 compatibility. I don't think ESS v9 is W10 ready yet IMO.

Also ESS v9 kept on asking for operating system updates to W10, that were non-existent. It would suggest 20 or so critical updates (mostly hardware) but when clicked to update, the notification would just disappear and Windows Update would come back saying no new updates are available. So this is a bug in v9 for W10 machines.

I hope an ESS Tech Support team/agent will take a look into this and follow up with me. So far as I type this ESS v9 has been removed. I'm sorry I didn't keep it for log purposes but if you need me to reinstall it, I will to find out what is causing these errors.

So far I want to monitor the computer and abuse it, see if there are any lockups at boot without ESS v9 installed so I can 100% rule out that it is the cause of my system lockups. Thanks.

• Administrators

In order to pinpoint the culprit, we'll need a complete memory dump from the state when the system is unresponsive. Please refer to hxxp://support.eset.com/kb380/ for instructions how to configure OS to generate complete memory dumps and how to trigger manual crash so that a dump is generated.

Once you have a complete memory dump created, compress it, upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link.

Also ESS v9 kept on asking for operating system updates to W10, that were non-existent. It would suggest 20 or so critical updates (mostly hardware) but when clicked to update, the notification would just disappear and Windows Update would come back saying no new updates are available. So this is a bug in v9 for W10 machines.

This is not a bug. The notifications tell you that your hardware manufacturer has a newer version of drivers available. I'm not entirely sure but I guess these should not be displayed if you select to be notified only about critical updates.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

In order to pinpoint the culprit, we'll need a complete memory dump from the state when the system is unresponsive. Please refer to hxxp://support.eset.com/kb380/ for instructions how to configure OS to generate complete memory dumps and how to trigger manual crash so that a dump is generated.

Once you have a complete memory dump created, compress it, upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link.

This is not a bug. The notifications tell you that your hardware manufacturer has a newer version of drivers available. I'm not entirely sure but I guess these should not be displayed if you select to be notified only about critical updates.

Hello Marcos, sorry for the long reply. After vigorous testing I have determined that ESS v9 is not the problem and WINDOWS 10 FAST BOOT was causing the issues on the computer. When I disable the WINDOWS 10 FAST BOOT the problems went away. Looks like WINDOWS 10 operating system is buggy and is a piece of O/S.

Also, thank you again for the notifications. Again, ESS v9 was nice enough to tell me that my DEVICE DRIVERS were not up to date, WINDOWS 10 did report no update available but when I went into DEVICE MANAGER>CONTROL PANEL I clicked update driver for the 16 RECOMMENDED UPDATES from ESS v9 and it did update all my drivers in DEVICE MANAGER accordingly which WINDOWS 10 did not, I had to do it manually.

Again, Windows 10 being a piece of OPERATING SYSTEM.

If it was not for ESS I would have not had UPDATED DRIVERS on my COMPUTER which I manually had to UPDATE via DEVICE MANAGER. Windows 10 is a beta and buggy O/S that is causing this problems.

Once again, people that are having freezing issues, DISABLE FAST-BOOT in WINDOWS 10 .... IT IS BROKEN!!!